Fidelity MyVoice

txtig

Full time employment: Posting here.
I had an occasion to call Fidelity yesterday. After verifying my identity, they asked if I would like to sign up for Fidelity MyVoice, which is a new identity verification system using just your voice. I went ahead and signed up, and now presumably they will be able to verify my identity on future calls just from my voice. Seems pretty convenient and secure. Nice new feature.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Travelover, you have to call back when you get over your cold. No soup for you."

I wonder if it are able to get through if you have a cold, nasty cough, or COP in my case.

I have that with Vanguard, of course, I don't call them very often.

I wonder if it are able to get through if you have a cold, nasty cough, or COP in my case.

I asked that question when I signed up a few months ago and they assured me that the system's underlying technology is sophisticated enough to recognize you even with a severe cold or even laryngitis.

So as a geeky engineer, I am amazed by this - but I don't work in this area.

I can EASILY see how Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices can do a good job of voice recognition having multiply-spaced microphones and a large dynamic frequency range of, say, 20Hz to 20kHz to extract the audio voice-print from.

But most landline telephony-based devices can only be counted on to have an audio frequency range of only 3kHz to 3.4kHz to work with --- and then add to that the fact that cellphones are using big-time codecs to crunch, and unintentionally-distort, the audio down to be represented by a few hundreds of bits. How is anything left at all discernible? ......especially to be able to identify exactly ONE human from all others?

Can anyone in-the-know speak to this? I am VERY curious.

If I recall correctly the POTS frequency range is 300hz to 3,300hz. This is where about 95% of the information in the human voice resides. So while you can hear up to 20000hz (or used to be able to, that high end drops off sharply with age, especially in men.) you sure aren't speak at those higher frequencies.

How the 'voice print' part works - not a clue.

If I recall correctly the POTS frequency range is 300hz to 3,300hz.

OOPS! You are correct. 300Hz. Thanks.

...and I guess if the human voice can't produce [-]anything[/-] much outside of this range, reproducing outside of that does nothing. Um, duh - hence the reason for the bandwidth limitation in the first place!:banghead:

Thanks.

I had an occasion to call Fidelity yesterday. After verifying my identity, they asked if I would like to sign up for Fidelity MyVoice, which is a new identity verification system using just your voice. I went ahead and signed up, and now presumably they will be able to verify my identity on future calls just from my voice. Seems pretty convenient and secure. Nice new feature.

Yes. It works too! I was trying to do some stuff for my dad, I'm POA, but hadn't sent it in yet. Using his information, I identified through as him, but was denied do to voice recognition.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom