Fidelity Visa Fraudulent Charge

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
On Christmas Day around 8 am, Elan Financial sent me a text advising that a large purchase at a wholesale club was declined because I had not responded to an earlier text requesting verification. Sure enough I had a prior text at 1:30 am and I recognized the seller and the dollar amount. I called them to advise that I recognized the transaction and they said they would unblock my card and I would need to re-order.

That didn't sound right because my online order had already posted and the seller had contacted me to arrange delivery. I started asking questions and the rep hesitantly revealed that this was a duplicate transaction! The legitimate transaction had posted 8 days prior.

If I had noticed the original test at 1:30 am, I would've approved it most likely and the fraud would have worked. I thought it was a clever attempt and appreciate Elan catching it but I wish they had told me it was a duplicate transaction without having to dig it out of them. Stay Alert!

That's a new one for my understanding. Thanks.

I have text alerts on my card, but I have never been asked to verify a transaction.

I have text alerts on my card, but I have never been asked to verify a transaction.

i have. every now and then the computer watchdog at Discover will reject a charge and immediately send me a ‘did you do this’ text. could be prior to pumping gas or buying $5 of something at Walgreens. a simple ‘Y’ unlocks the card. i also have our transaction alerts set to >$1.

My barclayscard is quite good at detecting fraudulent charges.

Personally I think it is much easier to review the 'potential fraud notifications' by going online and taking my time as opposed to calling an agent and working over the phone. The advantages are that I am under no time constraints to commit to a decision (fraud or not) unlike with an agent asking you questions. It also helps to see the questionable charges in the context of your other charges which I always like to see in case there are other frauds that were not detected by their system.

An additional added bonus is that I don't need to worry that the phone call is a fraud in of itself if I can see the information in my secure online account.

Just trying to offer this up as what works for me in case others may benefit.

At the end of the day, if the charge is fraud, I may need to speak to an agent to discuss getting a new card issued etc, but this only happens after I have completed my homework and know what I want (ie send a new card - please expedite/overnight it etc.)

-gauss

Last edited:
I don't understand why this is a scam. It sounds like the wholesale club might have accidentally resubmitted the charge. If not, who was submitting it and where would the payment have gone?

i have. every now and then the computer watchdog at Discover will reject a charge and immediately send me a ‘did you do this’ text. could be prior to pumping gas or buying $5 of something at Walgreens. a simple ‘Y’ unlocks the card. i also have our transaction alerts set to >$1.

The OP was discussing Fidelity’s Visa, not Discover. My comment related to that card.

I don't understand why this is a scam. It sounds like the wholesale club might have accidentally resubmitted the charge. If not, who was submitting it and where would the payment have gone?

I assume someone was going to take delivery of the item. My account at the wholesale club has no record of the second purchase. It’s possible that it was an accident and I decided not to contact the club about this. Card has remained locked with no additional suspicious activity.

Back
Top Bottom