Finally got out in my kayak today. First time this year. This year I was fo...

I think I'm going to try kayaking when I get to Orcas island. This looks like a lot of fun. Probably need a dry suit to go with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I'd be happy to show the ropes. As I am typing this on my iPad I am looking across to Orcas Island from the Canadian side of the watery border.

I've been paddling the waters around here for almost 30 years and never found reason to buy a dry suit. :)

Love paddling in the San Juan Islands too!

Got out again with ladies from the neighborhood. Played a bit in the local lagoon.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1445732670.562650.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1445732721.480219.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

This reminds me I need to buy a kayak and get back out on the water. :)

Excellent! But isn't the water up there really cold? I'll take you up on your offer Sea Kayaker!

Excellent! But isn't the water up there really cold? I'll take you up on your offer Sea Kayaker!

The water is indeed COLD. But the point of the exercise is to remain upright in your kayak so that you don't encounter the frigid Salish Sea of the San Juan/Gulf Islands. This means knowing excellent bracing techniques! If you plan on practising your wet exits, capsize recoveries, and eventually rolls in the ocean, yes a dry suit would not be a bad idea. I occasionally brush up these skills in local indoor pool workshops - kayaking is so popular here that many community pools open up for kayakers to come practice Eskimo rolls and such things in nice, non-hypothermia inducing water temperatures. It's a blast.

Folding Kayaks are worth a look for sea kayaking - folks have taken these across the Atlantic as they are extremely stable and ability to add a sail. I am currently adapting a Klepper Sail to my Pouch Kayak.

I found a new old stock Pouch imported by Sevylor for 50% discount a long time ago from Sierra Trading Post and later a Klepper Sail on E-bay.

Not a boat for River currents or rocky bottoms but I'm pure lake/ocean (sea kayaker) and always wanted a Kayak I could sail. Folding kayak is great to fish out of and options to mount electric motor is available so you really have multi-purpose boat. Very stable for rough waters - were folding kayaks are right at home. Lake Erie can go rough on a dime and it's really fun in a folding kayak. Fish come right in at eye level.

Folding kayaks are also portable as they fold up in one or two bags and were very popular for military use back in the day (40s they were the only show in town before fiberglass and plastics shells). Plan 40 minute set-up time. Throw it in my RV shower and have a boat to enjoy on my travels when I get there.

I'd definitely start out buying something used and fully agree with previous recommendation for a high quality paddle (you have to hold paddle several hours and it gets heavy).

Rudder is critical must have if you sail. I think the purest kayaker would say a rudder is not needed but I'd want one for a tandem or sailing. Like using a capo on a guitar is frown on my some - but I don't think it's cheating. Good control on a boat is important but a rudder will add weight. My tandem is 75 pounds without rudder but I can car top by myself - most folks would be pushing solo car top past 50lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
"... the point of the exercise is to remain upright in your kayak so that you don't encounter the frigid Salish Sea of the San Juan/Gulf Islands. This means knowing excellent bracing techniques! If you plan on practising your wet exits, capsize recoveries, and eventually rolls in the ocean, yes a dry suit would not be a bad idea. I occasionally brush up these skills in local indoor pool workshops - kayaking is so popular here that many community pools open up for kayakers... " Thank you sea Kayaker! I've been looking at a few used Kayaks, just on the Internet, but I think I'll hold off until we arrive in Orcas. We just decided to advance our fire date from 4/1/2017 to 9/1/2016!
It seems like a balancing act of risk of running out of money vs risk of running out of life. We're more worried about running out of life now and so the sooner we get there, the better. We have tenants living in the house and their lease is up on that date, so that is the date now.

Back
Top Bottom