Finally sold TSLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
TSLA has been performing very well lately amidst the Coronavirus disruption. Quarterly Production and Delivery numbers are due out this week (my guess is Thursday). The delivery numbers might power the shares higher.

You were smart to get in (and stay in). This is one stock I don't want to miss. About 3 years ago, Elon said he expected the energy side of the business to eventually be bigger than the auto side of the business. People who bet against Elon Musk tend to lose. Every time. Which is why my money is behind him. My portfolio is up 7.51% YTD and it's almost entirely due to Tesla. Well, at least yesterday it was, today it's up more. :)

I’m almost at the point of buying a Tesla vehicle. Usually, about the time I start using a growth stock’s product, the growth is over. Lol.

I’m almost at the point of buying a Tesla vehicle. Usually, about the time I start using a growth stock’s product, the growth is over. Lol.

I hear ya' but something tells me this TSLA has at least 6 good years of stellar growth, if not 10 years or more, ahead of it. So I think you might be safe on that one.

Here's what most people don't get: Tesla is succeeding for the same reason SpaceX is succeeding, namely, corporate culture. And that is due to the way Elon Musk runs and directs his companies. He directs them for success and has a history of being able to hire top talent. It's about cutting right to the chase and taking the most direct solution to every problem. He's also a "hands on" manager and has amazing vision in terms of what is the best course of action.

IMHO, as long as Elon is at the helm, Tesla will continue to outpace the industry in terms of innovation and manufacturing efficiency. The competition currently can't match Tesla's two high volume products (Model 3 and Model Y) in functionality or in price. They also can't match Tesla in terms of performance or profit margins. The others have no chance of catching up because Tesla will always be able to build better cars for less. They were forced to do that in order to compete with (what was) cheaper ICE cars. Tesla has basically achieved price parity with gas cars (if you compare like to like) and the competition can't match it yet.

This is why my portfolio has such a heavy weighting in TSLA. Yes, TSLA is volatile but that doesn't bother me. Within two weeks I expect it might have lost 25% of its value but I'm not selling because it has an equal chance of being worth 25% more in those same two weeks. When it drops enough, I buy another 100 shares. I never sell any because the overall trend is up. I'll be lighting up my weighting when TSLA hits $1900 in a couple of years and I'll lighten up some more when it hits around $6000 in about 5 years. In the interim: :popcorn:

Is anyone else getting in on this TSLA appreciation? It just hit new all-time highs today.

The company is a cut above your typical corporation. I've 5X'd my money from the shares I bought last June. I don't need the money so sticking with my original plan to not sell any until $1900 in a year or two and holding the rest until it hits around $6000 in 5 years. I might modify my plan a bit depending on how things go over the next few years.

In case anyone was wondering, I don't regret it, it's been a good reminder that I need to stick to my strategy. I made about $6K when I sold, and if I had held on until now I would have made another $12K, but it's also a good reminder not to worry about could/should have beens. In this case, I bought because I believed in the company, and then I didn't, so I got out at a better point than I got in at, and overall it will make no perceptible difference in our finances.

Your profit would now be over $48,000 instead of $6000 had you simply held another year (until now).

This company is just getting started as they only have less than 2% market share.

Is anyone else getting in on this TSLA appreciation? It just hit new all-time highs today.

The company is a cut above your typical corporation. I've 5X'd my money from the shares I bought last June. I don't need the money so sticking with my original plan to not sell any until $1900 in a year or two and holding the rest until it hits around $6000 in 5 years. I might modify my plan a bit depending on how things go over the next few years.

No, not "getting in on this".

Been in on it for years though.

Your profit would now be over $48,000 instead of $6000 had you simply held another year (until now).

This company is just getting started as they only have less than 2% market share.

Well damn, I better break out my Muntz car company stock...they had less market share than that!

Sold Tesla? Time to invest in the electric truck company Nikola.

https://nikolamotor.com/badger

“HEAVY DUTY
FAST FUELING
Heavy Duty fast-fueling with hydrogen is being developed by Nikola with an industry consortium, with unique HD Hardware, standardized to fill in less than 15 minutes, similar to diesel today.”

Well damn, I better break out my Muntz car company stock...they had less market share than that!

I didn't mean to imply Tesla would do well BECAUSE they only had less than 2% market share, merely that there is plenty of growth potential left. I've made the mistake of thinking I missed out or was too late because a stock had already run up in price only to kick myself for not buying as I watched it become a 20 or even a 100 bagger. Amazon was one of them.

Tesla will be wildly successful because their cars are a better value than comparable gas cars and they just keep getting more affordable as volumes rise and batteries become less expensive. Most people cannot go back to a gas car once they experience how superior a Tesla is.

It's a huge growth opportunity.

Tesla will be wildly successful because their cars are a better value than comparable gas cars and they just keep getting more affordable as volumes rise and batteries become less expensive. Most people cannot go back to a gas car once they experience how superior a Tesla is.

It's a huge growth opportunity.

Doing research on Tesla is pretty interesting. The number of two Tesla households is growing daily. Says something.

RetiredAtThirty-eight said:
I sincerely hope you are joking...

Oh, I am. I consider purchase of Nikola shares a speculation that should be bought with 'play' money one can afford to lose.

The thought of having a Nikola and a Tesla in my driveway is amusing, though. I wonder what the famed Serbian inventor would have thought of that? Do the Nikola trucks run on AC current? :D

I have the occasional thought about purchasing Tesla stock, but, I will stick to dancing with the girl I took to the dance and will take home with me after it's over - Her name is Index and she has treated me very well.

The recent WSJ article on the Model Y was stunningly positive. For years, I have noticed that the Journal tends to put a negative spin on Mr. Musk's business plans, IMO. But, apparently the continued success of Tesla after many 'experts' predicted it would not last past mid 2019, coupled with his recent manned space flight success at SpaceX, may have brought a change of heart.

For those who may have not been aware....

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Nikola-Tesla

Nikola Telsa, Serbian American inventor and engineer who discovered and patented the rotating magnetic field, the basis of most alternating-current machinery. He also developed the three-phase system of electric power transmission. He immigrated to the United States in 1884 and sold the patent rights to his system of alternating-current dynamos, transformers, and motors to George Westinghouse. In 1891 he invented the Tesla coil, an induction coil widely used in radio technology.

Last edited:
Do the Nikola trucks run on AC current? :D

Generally, no electricity of any kind is needed to power a computer-generated rendering. So no.

I hope no one is falling for this obvious scam that is trying to profit by riding on Tesla's coattails. It's so transparent it's not even funny but, apparently, some cannot discern the difference between fake and real. This kind of person probably shouldn't buy individual stocks.

I have TSLA stock, a 5 bagger for me. It doesn't exactly fit into my portfolio, but one thing led to another. Now it's a gigantic capital gain I don't need in this last year of major Roth conversions. Otherwise I'd sell. Hopefully it'll still look this good next year.

The future may look bright, but how does that make Tesla the most valuable of all the car companies? That's like saying a rookie football player will be in the Hall of Fame. Not that I'm complaining.

I have TSLA stock, a 5 bagger for me. It doesn't exactly fit into my portfolio, but one thing led to another. Now it's a gigantic capital gain I don't need in this last year of major Roth conversions. Otherwise I'd sell. Hopefully it'll still look this good next year.

The future may look bright, but how does that make Tesla the most valuable of all the car companies? That's like saying a rookie football player will be in the Hall of Fame. Not that I'm complaining.

I've missed a lot of portfolio gorillas because they seemed over-valued. Amazon, Netflix, etc. But as I gained experience as an investor I learned an important truth. Every additional percent of the Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of an investment is a big deal! So paying a premium for companies likely to have a superior CAGR pays off big time!

Here's an example:

Say you have $100,000 to invest. If you get an annual return of 7% you will not quite double your money to $196,715 in 10 years. However, if you can get an annual return of 15% you will more than quadruple your money in the same 10 years to $404,556. As you can see, it makes good sense to pay double for the investment that has the higher CAGR.

However, in the case of Tesla, they actually have a good possibility of having a CAGR of 40-45% and possibly much higher. Even at 40% CAGR, your 100,000 would become almost $2.9 million in only 10 years! So fretting over whether you are paying $300 per share or $1000 per share doesn't make a lot of sense. If you want the likely superior returns of an innovative company on a mission (like Tesla), you have to pay the market rate.

Also, comparing the valuation of Tesla to established auto companies doesn't make any sense at all. Established auto companies are valued very inexpensively precisely because the writing is on the wall (Tesla is disrupting the auto market). Comparing the valuations of a rapidly growing company with that of a shrinking company makes no sense! You are likely to lose money on the shrinking company! And all major auto companies have been shrinking over the last 3 years.

Successful investors (such as yourself) get into the companies with superior CAGR's early and stay there regardless of valuations. That is where fortunes are made. Not in buying companies because they look cheap.

Showing why TSLA is likely to have a superior CAGR is beyond the scope of this message but I encourage those who want superior returns to investigate further. There is a lot of misinformation out there so be careful what information you take at face value. Powerful economic interests want to slow Tesla down precisely because they threaten billions in what were once secure revenue streams.

Does anyone know where the thread "Tesla is off the rails" got moved to? There was a really interesting discussion going on there about the always difficult problem of valuing a high-growth stock.

It is currently under moderator review.

Moderator review means we'll either put it back or not, after review. We do not divulge the specifics, other than to notify individual members if their post is not in the standards of the community rules.

Please enjoy other topics in the meantime.

Lot's of people "shorting" Tesla... :LOL:

Moderator review means we'll either put it back or not, after review. We do not divulge the specifics, other than to notify individual members if their post is not in the standards of the community rules.

Please enjoy other topics in the meantime.

Does this mean one non-conforming post by one person can make the whole thread go "poof"? That doesn't seem right. Can you just delete the offending post and ban the member who wrote it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom