Finding a vehicle is almost impossible

Thanks for asking street.

Yes, I took delivery of it on Oct 12. Placed order with dealer July or August of 2022... they ordered it from Ford when the order bank opened on Sep 22, 2022 and it was finally produced the week of Sep 4, 2023, shipped Sept 11, 2023 and arrived in Vermont on Oct 11, 2023.

Great little truck. We were waiting for it to come in before going to Florida for the winter so its first big trip was a two-day road trip from Vermont to Sarasota.

1,579 miles in 24 hours and 23 minutes of driving time, much of it 70-75 mph on the highway... 30.8 miles per gallon. After 3-4 hours on the road DW would say she needed a bathroom break and I would say we have over half a tank left... but since we were stopping for her to pee we might as well gas up and avoid another stop.

I'm really impressed with this little truck. I wrote a check for $27k and then another $2k for tax, title and registation.. so only less than $30k with a rollup tomeau cover, bed mat, etc that I ordered from Amazon.

I also like the Android Auto integration with my Google Pixel phone and we used Maps for navigation and SXM radio for entertainment. I did buy a wireless Andriod Auto adapter so I don't have to connect my phone by wire everytime I get in the car... I can keep my phone in my pocket and it connects wirelessly to Andriod Auto... pretty cool.

When I ordered the truck it was a bit of a lark since I had a GMC Canyon that we used to tow our camper. Since they didn't have one that I could test drive or even sit in, they said that no deposit was required and that I didn't have to take it if I didn't want it so it was risk free to order it. I ordered it thinking it would be a summer truck for fun rather than a daily driver or that my son or a friend might want it.

Turns out that we sold the camper and the GMC so this is now my daily driver. In town, I'm getting 41 mpg. Great little basic, no frills truck. Rather than put blind spot monitoring in each side view mirror they just put a small parabolic mirror in the upper outside corner so I can easily see if there is anything in the blindspot. Only one zone heating and AC but dual zone seemed to be a farce to me so no big deal. You get the idea.

If I had known it was going to be my daily driver I would have ordered a higher trim level, AWD rather than FWD and 4k towing capacity (rather than 2k), but I'm very happy so far.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for the review!! I'm glad you received it finally; it was a long wait but with all that has gone on you had a great ending.

I have not drove or sat in one either so I'm hoping for a good review also. I'm hoping for 2024 late in the year but it might be 2025.

Do you need to tow anything? The hybrid has a relatively light 2,000 pound towing capacity, but if you need more towing capacity you can get the AWD Ecoboost with the 4k towing package and tow 4,000 pounds.

The hybrid will work fine for my jet ski but not my pontoon boat, but I only tow the pontoon boat a mile twice a year and I have friends with trucks that can to the pontoon boat.

Thanks for asking street.

After 3-4 hours on the road DW would say she needed a bathroom break and I would say we have over half a tank left... but since we were stopping for her to pee we might as well gas up and avoid another stop.

PB4USKI, when you fled those colder temps in Vermont for the warmer climes of Florida, didn’t you ask your wife to “pee before you flee”? Inquiring minds want to know.

Do you need to tow anything? The hybrid has a relatively light 2,000 pound towing capacity, but if you need more towing capacity you can get the AWD Ecoboost with the 4k towing package and tow 4,000 pounds.

The hybrid will work fine for my jet ski but not my pontoon boat, but I only tow the pontoon boat a mile twice a year and I have friends with trucks that can to the pontoon boat.
Yeah, yeah, if you are talking to me, I did order the tow package AWD EcoBoost. I need that for the ranch light work stuff and for other things too.

By ordering a new vehicle from the factory, you get to customize the options to just what you want, no unnecessary extras.
It's the only way I buy vehicles nowadays...

And as long as people keep buying new the prices will stay high. Even if you buy used with extra options it will still be cheaper than new, have higher resale because of the extras and you wont take the big depreciation hit when buying used. To each their own but it amazes me why people ask why prices are so high and then they go ahead and buy new stuff anyways.

To each their own but it amazes me why people ask why prices are so high and then they go ahead and buy new stuff anyways.

For some of us, I think we're sensing our mortality. On one hand, we're old and getting decrepit. On the other hand, we've got all this money saved. Assuming we don't plan to give it away, why not spend it on something we want - ridiculous price or not.

Personally, I've not bought into that philosophy just yet - I'd rather give it away. Even so, I've gotten looser with money now that I can see the "end" not too far down the road (still a bit blurry, but I know it's coming.) Not being morbid - just realistic.

And as long as people keep buying new the prices will stay high. Even if you buy used with extra options it will still be cheaper than new, have higher resale because of the extras and you wont take the big depreciation hit when buying used. To each their own but it amazes me why people ask why prices are so high and then they go ahead and buy new stuff anyways.

ok, so here is the challenge to you. Find me a used, 0-2 year old, low mileage less than 20,000 miles quad cab pickup truck for less than the $27k MSRP that I just paid for my brand new 2023 Maverick XLT FWD hybrid with 8 miles on it and I'll concede that you might have a point... but I don't think you can do it.

Yeah, yeah, if you are talking to me, I did order the tow package AWD EcoBoost. I need that for the ranch light work stuff and for other things too.

So you actually placed an order?

Be careful... you probably want the 4k tow package AWD EcoBoost which is different from the AWD EcoBoost with the two package which only tows 2,000 pounds.

There's hope this market will stabilize. We need to first get this strike behind us.

Then... interest rates.

Many here follow "CarDealershipGuy" on X. You will notice his tone has gotten very dark lately. Two things he is mentioning are:
1) Customer loan defaults are up, especially sub-prime
2) Dealer carrying costs for inventory way up

Anyone who has seen the movie "Fargo" is familiar with the way Jerry Lundegaard strung along Reilly Diefenbach from GMAC. Yeah, dealers finance the cars from manufacturers. They don't sit on the floor for free. Apparently Jerry got in trouble with his debt with GMAC.

Dealers today are dealing with this. But you say: "Dealers said it is new world where every car will be delivered just in time." Sure. If they can make that go, that's optimal for them, but not for the customer who just had their car totaled and needs one ASAP.

But what if the dealer down the street has inventory and is raking in the customers? What about the just-in-time-order-only dealer? Which one will the manufacturer have a preference for?

Finding cars is still difficult for sure. But there are cracks in the ad hoc system that formed over the last few years. Will this stick? Will dealers still be able to screw over customers at will?

I don't know, but the next year is going to see something happen. The signs are clear that we are on the downslope of the bubble madness. Pop or slowly deflate? We'll see.

Last edited:
So you actually placed an order?

Be careful... you probably want the 4k tow package AWD EcoBoost which is different from the AWD EcoBoost with the two package which only tows 2,000 pounds.

Yes, I did order last day of Sept. 2023. I did get the 4K towing I wasn't clear about that.

pb4uski, you are totally right I can't even find a 4 year old mid-size truck for under 30K and has 50 to 100K miles on them. I totally understand the mentality of not buying new and all the negativity with that. I also understand my frugal ways, and this is the cheapest route for me to go.

For me I will be paying right at 27K for new and it will be my last truck in my lifetime. I will have other older 4x4 to use when I need them.

I've been looking for a replacement for my 2001 Ranger for a while now. I was able to get one more year of state inspection passed so I'll be looking at next year when I can take some from my IRA. I've been looking at carmax frequently and set a search for a 4WD, extended cab, pickup, less than 30K miles. Prices return starting at $30K but the past week I have seen some for high $20s. There are several Mavericks and also lots and lots of Nissan trucks. Some Hundai Santa Cruz. For me it is a good way to judge the current market for a truck.

I've been looking at Colorado or Canyon. They have enticed me lately :)

I've been looking for a replacement for my 2001 Ranger for a while now. I was able to get one more year of state inspection passed so I'll be looking at next year when I can take some from my IRA. I've been looking at carmax frequently and set a search for a 4WD, extended cab, pickup, less than 30K miles. Prices return starting at $30K but the past week I have seen some for high $20s. There are several Mavericks and also lots and lots of Nissan trucks. Some Hundai Santa Cruz. For me it is a good way to judge the current market for a truck.

I've been looking at Colorado or Canyon. They have enticed me lately :)
I have looked in depth as you have but I have never bought through one of them (carmax) but you can get a good feel for price. I'm always unsure to do business with one of them but I know it can be a good experience.

As far as your interest in the Colorados I can I have had extremely good luck with mine. I have 200K on a 2008 Colorado, 4 door 4x4 and has been used hard in tough country and rough conditions all of its life. A few ordinary maintenance things and that is all.

I will keep it and it would surprise me I will be still driving it with 300K.

There's hope this market will stabilize. We need to first get this strike behind us.

Then... interest rates.

Many here follow "CarDealershipGuy" on X. You will notice his tone has gotten very dark lately. Two things he is mentioning are:
1) Customer loan defaults are up, especially sub-prime
2) Dealer carrying costs for inventory way up
Note: the CarDealershipGuy also has a podcast.

Following the CarDealershipGuy is a good idea if one is in the market for a new vehicle or will be sooner than later. A neighbor followed his advice earlier this year when cars were harder to get. He found a Buick dealer who had cars on the lot and sold him a nice 4 door sedan for a bit under MSRP plus tax and license. It was not a bad deal compared to similar sedans of other makes at that time.

For my neighbor’s sake I hope GM has improved their quality control since my 1985 Pontiac was built. IMO, that was a very well designed, but very poorly built car. At 110,000 miles I gave up pouring money into it every 2-3 months.

Son has been beating around with dealers for a month and today bought Hyundai
Tucson , the mid range car w leather for 33,250 out the door 0% interest four years ….He had a fight , put a lot of money down and the dealer kept saying finance it for 6% for 5 years. …buying a car is a mess.

Note: the CarDealershipGuy also has a podcast.

Following the CarDealershipGuy is a good idea if one is in the market for a new vehicle or will be sooner than later. A neighbor followed his advice earlier this year when cars were harder to get. He found a Buick dealer who had cars on the lot and sold him a nice 4 door sedan for a bit under MSRP plus tax and license. It was not a bad deal compared to similar sedans of other makes at that time.

For my neighbor’s sake I hope GM has improved their quality control since my 1985 Pontiac was built. IMO, that was a very well designed, but very poorly built car. At 110,000 miles I gave up pouring money into it every 2-3 months.
Yes, this is why the overall supply matters, and why the strike matters, even if you are looking at Toyotas. People will brand switch when under pressure. (Although I don't think I would ever buy Stelantis. Ever.)

Did you have an '85 Grand Am? I did. It is the only car I dumped under 10 years. I traded it in after 5 years and 70k miles.

The last straw was my heater core. What a pain to repair. They "plastic welded" on these fittings to the core through the firewall. What an absolutely brain dead design. Every single Grand Am, Skylark and Calais would fail. And then there was the steering rack that failed 100%. What a piece of trash.

I still bought two GMs after (Saturn then Olds) and they were much better. There's hope for your neighbor.

I have looked in depth as you have but I have never bought through one of them (carmax) but you can get a good feel for price. I'm always unsure to do business with one of them but I know it can be a good experience.

As far as your interest in the Colorados I can I have had extremely good luck with mine. I have 200K on a 2008 Colorado, 4 door 4x4 and has been used hard in tough country and rough conditions all of its life. A few ordinary maintenance things and that is all.

I had similar attitude about Carmax but I gave it a try and we are happy with our purchase and the process. No heavy handed sales or financing department, I wrote a check for $23K and had to show the manager I had the funds with my bank app on my phone. :cool:
I will consider what they have with my “new” to me truck but more for a reference to what is available and prices.

Yes, I did order last day of Sept. 2023. I did get the 4K towing I wasn't clear about that.

pb4uski, you are totally right I can't even find a 4 year old mid-size truck for under 30K and has 50 to 100K miles on them. I totally understand the mentality of not buying new and all the negativity with that. I also understand my frugal ways, and this is the cheapest route for me to go.

For me I will be paying right at 27K for new and it will be my last truck in my lifetime. I will have other older 4x4 to use when I need them.

That sounds great. If I had known this was going to be my daily driver when I ordered it then I would have ordered exactly what you ordered.

However, I am really enjoying 31 mpg highway and 41 mpg in city/mixed driving with the hybrid.

Yes, this is why the overall supply matters, and why the strike matters, even if you are looking at Toyotas. People will brand switch when under pressure. (Although I don't think I would ever buy Stelantis. Ever.)

Did you have an '85 Grand Am? I did. It is the only car I dumped under 10 years. I traded it in after 5 years and 70k miles.

The last straw was my heater core. What a pain to repair. They "plastic welded" on these fittings to the core through the firewall. What an absolutely brain dead design. Every single Grand Am, Skylark and Calais would fail. And then there was the steering rack that failed 100%. What a piece of trash.

I still bought two GMs after (Saturn then Olds) and they were much better. There's hope for your neighbor.

It was a Pontiac 6000 wagon. I replaced the steering rack 2x, the carburetor leaked and stalled the car when turning sharply, carb needed to be replaced (it was sealed and could not be adjusted), the heater core leaked and was replaced, the transmission was overhauled, generator and water pump replaced, wiper motor replaced, motor mounts gave out (that was fun), and that's just the stuff I can remember. The sad thing is that the overall design and features of the car were great. IMO, they did not put it together very well.

I often FF through the CarDealershipGuy podcasts when they get too far into the minutia of how to run a successful dealership. Keep in mind it's a podcast for dealers and people who supply services to the dealers, so their advice to consumers should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
That sounds great. If I had known this was going to be my daily driver when I ordered it then I would have ordered exactly what you ordered.

However, I am really enjoying 31 mpg highway and 41 mpg in city/mixed driving with the hybrid.

I wish I could get MPG you are but there is always that trade off. I'm really glad you like your new ride. I haven't even sat in one but have seen them and could look one over so I'm hoping I like it also.

Thanks

Last edited:

That is good news. I have a 2016 colorado, 60k or so on it. So far only oil changes a set of tires and front brakes done. I got it from enterprise, no hassles. Hope it will hold up as yours. My previous good pickup was a 79 K20 chevy, had it for 25 years. still ran good, though a bit rusty, sold it for 500 bucks. My current oldie is a 99 Suburban 2500, got it from carmax in 2000.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom