Finger Lakes region - New York

jcfradio

Recycles dryer sheets
DW and I are looking at 4 or 5 days in the Finger Lakes region in mid October. What would folks here recommend as must sees in this area? I would like to base ourselves in a central location and then do day trips from there - any suggestions as to a good base with some restaurant options? Nothing fancy is needed; I can be happy just going to a nice pub with home cookin'. Thanks.

My 4 siblings and I (and spouses) had a wonderful trip to the Finger Lakes area in July. We stayed in a VRBO house near Canandaigua Lake. There is lots to see and do all around, we had some small groups going different places each day. One of the best was local hikes near Naples and lunch at the Roots Cafe there. Really excellent place, one couple went there 2 days in a row for lunch. If you head to Ithaca, Gorgers is a hole in the wall place with fabulous sandwiches.

Watkins Glen state park, Corning Glass museum, wineries.

Taughannock Falls State Park, Cornell University in Ithaca and although a bit of a drive, Cooperstown baseball museum.

Some solid recommendations so far. I'll add Village of Skaneateles (some very good restaurants), Ithaca Commons / Cornell University, Treman state park, and there are many breweries in the area with Prison City in Auburn being one of my favorites.

Good options given. When you check for wineries, check to see if they're having a theme weekend. We were there a few years ago, and it was Bacon Weekend. All wineries were serving a bacon appetizer of some sorts, it made a great experience, greater.

if your thing....Glenn Curtiss (Wright) museum

Never seems to get mentioned..but if you like engines, planes, boats, and motorcycles this is one of the great cheap places to go, and you are at the heart of a very famous part of history.
We also stay once per year (at least) in Horseheads and head to Tanino for a nice, kinda old time place, Italian dinner. Might be 30 min drive depending on where you stay.
If you like cooking together and a great walking area at the top of a lake, Canandaigua has the NY Kitchen, some breweries, and the Canandaigua Lady steamship (check schedule)- all walking distances.

Never seems to get mentioned..but if you like engines, planes, boats, and motorcycles this is one of the great cheap places to go, and you are at the heart of a very famous part of history.
We also stay once per year (at least) in Horseheads and head to Tanino for a nice, kinda old time place, Italian dinner. Might be 30 min drive depending on where you stay.
If you like cooking together and a great walking area at the top of a lake, Canandaigua has the NY Kitchen, some breweries, and the Canandaigua Lady steamship (check schedule)- all walking distances.

Ah, you mentioned Horseheads, made me think of nearby Harris Hill. You can go there for a nice sail plane experience.

And I forgot a great experience is the True Love sailboat on Seneca Lake south. Another piece of history!

Women’s Rights National Historical Park in Seneca Falls is worth a visit if you like history. The first time I visited, I was mad that I had never heard of the Declaration of Sentiments. Of course I was taught Susan B Anthony / women’s suffrage, but I feel like it was mentioned in passing. Reading the Declaration of Sentiments made we want to go picket for women’s rights

We live about an hour from the finger lakes and visit frequently. It is a beautiful time of year, and not very crowded during the weekdays. The suggestions given are all solid, with a lot of variety. What are you most interested in? Wineries, state parks, museums? If you’re looking for a nice place to stay, I would recommend the Gridley Inn BNB ( Waterloo) or South Glendora Tree Farm BnB, which isn’t too far from Watkins Glenn. Both were wonderful with delicious breakfasts. There are a lot of charming cabins in the area too.

Spent a lot of happy summers in the area. A lot of good things have been mentioned. In the summer months, the sunset from the east side of Seneca Lake is amazing.

A rite of passage in my family was a nighttime lap around the speedway and an early morning dip in the lake. I don't recommend either.

Last edited:
I'll second (third, fourth?) the recommendation for Watkins Glen State Park. It's an unusual "hike" since it's mainly up but fascinating, unique scenery.

Wow, the waterfalls look amazing!

Where do people fly info?

Last edited:
We live nearby. Many tough choices over 4-5 days. Skaneateles, Watkins Glen and Letchworth have to be on the list. Three Brothers/War Horse is a great winery/brewery combo property. Can’t go wrong with the Finger Lakes

Curtis Museum, Pierce Arrow Museum, Eastman House Museum, Strong National Toy Museum, Lucy Ball Museum, Jello Museum, some are outside the Finger Lakes but within an hour or two drive.

Back
Top Bottom