FIRE-eligible, Handcuffed, Enjoy Job

Route246

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,

I'm new here. I work in tech and have critical mass, can retire anytime and enjoy my job. I'm 66 and while the pace of my role is hectic I'm OK with that and have been accused of being a workaholic in the past. The issue is financial handcuffs. How do you reconcile walking away from handcuffs that you worked an entire career to achieve?

I walked away from about $350k a year. I don’t miss it. My freedom is priceless.

Welcome to the forum.

FI gives you the option to RE but does not require it. If you like your work more than your free time then don't let anyone pressure you to retire. Knowing you can retire any time is priceless but doesn't mean you have to.

Hi,

I'm new here. I work in tech and have critical mass, can retire anytime and enjoy my job. I'm 66 and while the pace of my role is hectic I'm OK with that and have been accused of being a workaholic in the past. The issue is financial handcuffs. How do you reconcile walking away from handcuffs that you worked an entire career to achieve?
I guess the motivator would be that statistically you have 16.26 years left to live.

Does the extra money/prestige from your work warrant the reduction in the amount of healthy years you have left? You probably have more money than you can spend at this point.

I don't really see it as being handcuffed if you enjoy the job and there's nothing else you'd rather be doing at the moment.

I was making FU money 10+ years ago when I walked (ER). Didn't hate my job and I was in a position of some power in the company but I had enough. Wasn't hard. Never regretted it for one minute.

Last edited:
I have some similarities to your situation, though a bit younger. Enjoyed my career immensely, still at peak performance, income still very strong, achieved FI 10 years ago but delayed retirement, now solidly into FU money and ready to pull the trigger - there comes a point of diminishing returns. And at some point your earnings from return on assets is bigger than what you could save from earned income.

Knowing I could walk away these past few years is precisely what made it tolerable - big difference in mentality between feeling trapped vs feeling in control of your own life. When you're in the driver's seat you can dictate the terms of your employment and they can either take it or leave it.

So, the questions for you are:

1) How much is enough? As someone else said, you've probably got more than enough. We all leave something on the table. Why stay just to have more?

2) Do you want to exit at top of your game or get nudged out. Gotta tell you, getting nudged out is a little hard on the ole ego.

3) What else do you have waiting for you in the after-retirement life... a spouse & family to spend more time with, bucket list, etc.

Last edited:
It's not always about money. I could've REd on my 32nd birthday, but instead had found myself as a senior executive with a fun, exciting and powerful job that paid obscenely well. I ended up working another 20 years (and would likely still be there now at age 71)

When we sold the company, I became part of the "redundant team" as the new company took over.

It was then, and only then, that I realized how much of life I had missed out on. Missed birthdays, funerals, cookouts and just being home with DW, sleeping late, slow mornings with a cup of coffee, bucket list. ( my job required 200 days of international travel) I see how selfish I had been. I can’t get thoses years back, but I am so grateful for the past 18 years that I was given a new life, and hoping for 20 more. Go find yourself a hobby.

YMMV

Last edited:
I don't really see it as being handcuffed if you enjoy the job and there's nothing else you'd rather be doing at the moment.
+1. FI and ER are independent. If you enjoy your job, you should continue to do it. You will find purposes for the FI $ excess. Some/many here worked past FI, I went an additional 6 years and don't regret it - but I was finally tired of the career when I did pull the plug. Fortunately I mostly enjoyed my career for all but that last two years.

Last edited:
FI gives you the option to RE but does not require it. If you like your work more than your free time then don't let anyone pressure you to retire. Knowing you can retire any time is priceless but doesn't mean you have to.
Yep, I agree.
Do what you enjoy. Work-OK. Retire-OK.
Or, Work part time-Your choice does not have to be black or white..........If you part time it, you will most likely either miss full time, or enjoy the time off and want more of it.

Thank you. Throughout my career in S/W engineering I always had this strong fear of being aged out, put out to pasture and being under-productive given the inevitable salary package increases that come with aging in the industry.

This fear drove me to stay out of my comfort zone and to always seek roles where I could stay solidly productive. I watched too many senior colleagues forced into retirement when their knowledge became less valuable and in some cases worthless. I never wanted to be that guy and fear is a great motivator to continuously improve.

I have some similarities to your situation, though a bit younger. Enjoyed my career immensely, still at peak performance, income still very strong, achieved FI 10 years ago but delayed retirement, now solidly into FU money and ready to pull the trigger - there comes a point of diminishing returns. And at some point your earnings from return on assets is bigger than what you could save from earned income.

Knowing I could walk away these past few years is precisely what made it tolerable - big difference in mentality between feeling trapped vs feeling in control of your own life. When you're in the driver's seat you can dictate the terms of your employment and they can either take it or leave it.

So, the questions for you are:

1) How much is enough? As someone else said, you've probably got more than enough. We all leave something on the table. Why stay just to have more?

2) Do you want to exit at top of your game or get nudged out. Gotta tell you, getting nudged out is a little hard on the ole ego.

3) What else do you have waiting for you in the after-retirement life... a spouse & family to spend more time with, bucket list, etc.

Thank you. At this point I enjoy it, especially knowing I have the freedom to leave anytime.

I have multiples of what I need. This allows me to avoid the classic asset reallocation urgency from equities to fixed income. I'm at 80% equities now with multiple stop-losses in place in the event of a market crash. If I were at 1x critical mass I would probably be closer to 60-70% fixed income. Having more FI $ leverage allows for higher risk tolerance, something that is not mentioned very often.

As for having "too much" I don't believe in that and consider it silly. We are all only a severe health misfortune away from requiring extended out-of-pocket 24-hour in-home care-giving in order to maintain a comfort and dignity level equivalent to our current quality of life. Both of my parents died at home with extended 24-hour care-giving which they had prepared for and paid out of their critical mass.

+1. FI and ER are independent. If you enjoy your job, you should continue to do it. You will find purposes for the FI $ excess. Some/many here worked past FI, I went an additional 6 years and don't regret it - but I was finally tired of the career when I did pull the plug. Fortunately I mostly enjoyed my career for all but that last two years.

Don't be one that dies still working or in the first 6 months of retirement.

Moar munny is not the answer.

...As for having "too much" I don't believe in that and consider it silly. We are all only a severe health misfortune away from requiring extended out-of-pocket 24-hour in-home care-giving in order to maintain a comfort and dignity level equivalent to our current quality of life. Both of my parents died at home with extended 24-hour care-giving which they had prepared for and paid out of their critical mass.

Hard to know what to do with your sentiment around planning to this level of preparedness. I mean, yes, I've seen that 24-hour care-giving scenario, but the examples I've seen were folks +85. Could it happen to 66-year-old you, sure, I suppose it could. Is it likely to - I doubt it (unless you've got an illness or predisposition that makes you more vulnerable than the norm). And if it did, how long do you think you'd continue to live?

Of course, anything is possible. And I get that engineers don't like to leave much to chance. I suppose it comes down to your own level of risk tolerance. Your original question was along the lines of "how do I walk away from the $$$$". The answer for you might be - you don't given your fears and priorities.

What does your spouse/partner/family say?

Do they want you to retire to spend more time together, to travel or are they resigned to your continued working...ie, are you handcuffing someone else to this desire to keep chasing the carrot you no longer need?

Hello Route246,

Welcome to the forum.

Your reason for staying is bipartite - Satisfaction/ enjoyment received from your job - plus achieving peak earnings.

So, you have explained why you are tempted to stay - but what motivated you to ask your initial question in the first place?

We know something about your work life - can you tell us something about your personal life, i.e. family, hobbies, interests?

How do you reconcile walking away from handcuffs that you worked an entire career to achieve?

Where I worked most people retired by their mid-fifties (public safety job) if not sooner. The saying there was "When it is time, you will know". And for me anyway, they were right.

Like some others here, I had a rewarding high paying job, but volunteered for a layoff. However 15 months later, I couldn't get work, but discovered I could retire at 57.
I have not looked back and will never work again.
You are probably at the healthiest point of your life vs. any health events which can come later. I would consider this aspect heavily.

When you are FI, to RE one of the big things to look at is: do you have something or things to retire to?

If you love your job, and its pay and content are a big part of your identity, you have nothing to retire from. I was in a similar situation, and I kept (and enjoyed) learning a broad range of new technologies and helping Megacorp clients understand where these technologies could be used in their environment, and mentoring Megacorp employees to increase their skills with the technologies. I also saw colleagues laid off in their 50s and 60s as Megacorp decided their skill areas were no longer a focus.

If I had nothing to retire to, I would still be working. But, I had plenty of things to retire to. I also saw colleagues who loved their job retire only when their health became bad, and they had short and unhappy retirements. Being still healthy, and being able to use that health for things I desired to retired to also allowed to break any "handcuffs" I might have had with my career.

Factoring into my RE decision was (a) maximizing the growth component of my pension, and (b) getting the maximum future SS benefit. SO I kept the "handcuffs" on long enough for those to happen :).

Don't be one that dies still working or in the first 6 months of retirement.
At age 62, my brother decided to retire.

Two months before his retirement date, he had a massive stroke, leaving him severely, severely disabled.

Seven years later he's "not working" but hardly the retirement he had planned on.

OP seems concerned about LTC as part of working longer. LTC isn't limited to the elderly.

Last edited:
Wife is OK with whatever decision I make. We struggled as newlyweds as I had just bought my house while still single and was living paycheck-to-paycheck as a young engineer to pay the mortgage at that point so we started out very modestly. We spent 20 years driving old cars with high repair bills, eventually refinanced with a 15 and paid it off in 12 years by living very frugally to pay down the principal and haven't had a mortgage payment for 15 years which was a huge step towards FI. Max'ed out 401-K my whole career, put it in SPY-like investment available in the plans and over 30+ years it grew as expected, even with the bumps in the road.

We travel 2-3 times per year which seems to be enough, splurge on business class tickets for long stints. No additional travel sought or desired, I guess. I was a road warrior early on and travel now is like a job for me.

What does your spouse/partner/family say?

Do they want you to retire to spend more time together, to travel or are they resigned to your continued working...ie, are you handcuffing someone else to this desire to keep chasing the carrot you no longer need?

You know, as a young boy my mom would always tell me I would graduate college so I didn't have to work hard to be successful and make a nice salary. My parents were not college grads and it was very important to them that we graduated college and secured white collar careers.

I have networked my entire career, changed jobs multiple times as failed start-ups and downsizing took its toll but was never out of work for more than a few days as it always seemed to happen during good times, for that I am blessed. I checked my SS records and have never had a down year in terms of earnings with one exception when I had double salary one year due to taking a buyout package (voluntary).

Achieving peak earnings now is something I'm quite proud of, my CPA (who is also a close friend from college) says I am the most successful "grinder" of his generation of friends. He defines "grinder" as a routine salaryman who didn't make a big score at a startup, didn't inherit a huge chunk, didn't sell his company for a big payday, etc. He told me that for me to be in high demand and earning my package at age 66 is something to be proud of. Never thought of it that way until he pointed it out. So now I'm actually proud of something.

What motivated me to ask about this is that obviously, a lot of my friends and colleagues are retired or retiring now. One very close friend is quite wealthy from selling his company but all he talks about these days is what he and his wife are watching on Netflix. He never had any meaningful hobbies so I guess that's to be expected. Funny story, my wife asked me if I wanted Netflix and I told her no way, it seems to be so seductive but also brain degenerative and I associate with all things wrong with retirement.

I am quite consciously avoiding (and fearing) becoming a couch potato, alcoholic, the cynical crazy uncle, selfish grumpy neighbor and all of the other stereotypes I detested about people my age now. It would be hypocritical to become that but I reserve the right just in case it happens.

I have some hobbies including cars, amateur radio, home improvement projects and writing code. My first goal in retirement is to get a vanity app published in the iTunes store. I have never written anything in Apple's Xcode IDE or Swift language so it will be my Job One challenge when I call it quits as it will be escaping my comfort zone once again. I have intentionally done nothing with this so it is something I have to look forward to.

Hello Route246,

Welcome to the forum.

Your reason for staying is bipartite - Satisfaction/ enjoyment received from your job - plus achieving peak earnings.

So, you have explained why you are tempted to stay - but what motivated you to ask your initial question in the first place?

We know something about your work life - can you tell us something about your personal life, i.e. family, hobbies, interests?

Lastly, living in Silicon Valley exposes me to some very wealthy people, friends and ex-coworkers mostly. To a man and woman, the one thing they tell me about being wealthy is it changes nothing about your life except for one thing, that being you never have to worry about paying bills. They still have the same troubles, the wife/husband and kids still nag them, health issues are no different, personal struggles are no different, the same burdens and chores exist (assuming you don't hire servants), the car still breaks down the same, etc.

The more I think about it the more I realize that the vast majority of workers out there are working in order to pay bills. I remember cringing every time our old car was in the shop for some expensive repair and how we would set aside the funds to pay for transmission repair or other major repair.

I'm trying to splurge more now we're at that point but it comes slowly. One of Bob Brinker's mantras is that once you achieve critical mass you need to transition from saver to spender and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Picture says it all.....

SQyq96al.png
[/IMG]

I don't believe that your personality is going to change when you retire, and you won't become a couch potato - if you take the appropriate precautions. I do agree with your friend that, past a certain point, the level of happiness does not increase with additional wealth. However, if money is a concern, you can face that head on. A number of us ran the numbers repeatedly, and calculated for various scenarios, including sequence of risk returns, inflation, changes in tax rates, long term care, etc.

I suspect (although I don't know of course) that your identity is interwoven with your professional achievements, which are certainly impressive.

If you are still "tap dancing into work" (Warren Buffett), well that's ok. If not, well you have options.

As an engineer, perhaps you are involved with planning projects? If so, why not plan a "mini retirement test run". Take a week off from work - but don't go on vacation. Pre-plan a routine. Include some exercise, some brain stimulation, some hobbies. Some variation in the routine is ok. Include a fun activity, date with DW, or other social interaction. Try to absorb how you feel being "retired." Test it out.

I tried that - several years before I actually retired. (In my case, my initial test run told me that I wasn't yet ready.)

OP - I too am a software engineer and had worked for several Fortune 500 companies - initially as a programmer but then went into management and then in various senior/executive leadership roles. My salary was excellent and my total compensation was astronomical. I walked away and retired at age 49.

I don’t know your “real” intentions for continuing to work but you remind me of several coworkers I had who were much older than me, who could have easily retired at my age, but chose to work - mostly to stroke their ego because they were “an executive”. Not sure if that’s your situation as well but as a fellow technology executive, I’m here to tell you that retirement can be more rewarding than your executive role. I also authored more than 100 patents - all while working at mega companies.

None of my patents, technologies I built/led, engineering teams I grew, etc. match/compare to the freedom I now have in retirement to pursue whatever I want - including nothing at all. YMMV

I have a 65+ year old friend. She is a research biochemist at a university. Her husband is about 10 years older and they just found out he has a degenerative brain disorder. She gets great satisfaction from her work and the lives it saves, but this may well change her course. If w$rk is all that gives your life meaning, then by all means, keep it up until you can’t. But if there is anything else you’d like to do in your remaining healthiest and youngest remaining years, do it now and RE. He who dies with the most gold does not win.

Back
Top Bottom