FIRE for a VHNWI in the news

stepford

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just learned from these forums that HNWI meant "high net worth individual", and then the next day saw this piece about Google's CFO making the decision to ER.

While I imagine that financial independence was not a big part of his decision making and the epiphany on top of Kilimanjaro is a bit more grandiose than most of us manage, his thoughts will seem very familiar to most of the readers here.

Good for him. He should thank his wife for the reality check that quality of life is much more than what you accomplish at work.

I just learned from these forums that HNWI meant "high net worth individual", and then the next day saw this piece about Google's CFO making the decision to ER.

It's really interesting to follow the early googlers and related silicon valley people.

They get offered very lucrative and high profile positions, but frequently decline them to go do other stuff or just "re-source" themselves.

Paul Allen is an example, Andy Rubin more recently. Steve Wozniak too (slightly different story). Some of them go on to do amazing things - in a way Elon Musk is like that. Went on a break and decided to pour all his energy in something greater than himself.

It reinforces my belief that once you give people sufficient resources quite a few of them will unleash enormous potential.

Others don't do anything, but those few sure make up for the rest of us. Makes me think we should aim for a basic income for everyone. So much crap would be filtered out.

Back
Top Bottom