Firecalc updated through Jan 2020

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
The last of the needed numbers has become available, so Firecalc has been updated to show results through Jan 1 2020.

Everyone stay healthy!

Thank you very much for all your efforts over the many years. FIRECALC is a wonderful resource.

Thanks Dory. So good of you to keep updating this wonderful resource :dance:

Dory36, thank you. You developed and maintain this complex model for us. I had no idea.

Thanks Dory. Even though already retired, I still use Firecalc frequently for yearly updates and what if scenarios.

FIREcalc is my go-to application for reassuring myself that I am in the ballpark, and probably won't end up living in a tent, eating cold beans out of a can. Thank you dory36 - and thanks REW for the reminder of this site's hallowed history.

Oh, and thank you cute fuzzy bunny for kicking off the Funny Joke Thursday thread with that riproarer :LOL:

Thanks for updating the program and cannot wait until it is updated next year after this COVID-19 event. I have a question on the input aspect and it must be because I am not inputting properly in some portion. two questions:
1. When I input the guaranteed income, i.e. pensions, SS for myself DW which is over 130K, and there is no other deduction in the rest of the program it still gives me a "0" percent. For instance as an example: Portfolio= 0; spending= 130K; Years = 33. Although I have plenty of funds, I just want to test the system?

2. Why is it if I put my SS sum in at an earlier withdrawal date say 2022 (62 yrs old) because I will be 60 this year it always coming out more positive than if I were to wait until I am 65 or 67, even though I would receive higher funds in the later years?
Thank you so much.

Thanks for updating the program and cannot wait until it is updated next year after this COVID-19 event. I have a question on the input aspect and it must be because I am not inputting properly in some portion. two questions:
1. When I input the guaranteed income, i.e. pensions, SS for myself DW which is over 130K, and there is no other deduction in the rest of the program it still gives me a "0" percent. For instance as an example: Portfolio= 0; spending= 130K; Years = 33. Although I have plenty of funds, I just want to test the system? ...

I think you need to start the pension in 2020 rather than 2023 which is the default start year. If you change that then with an inflation-adjusted pension you should get 100% and with fixed pension I get 14.5%

-Under "Your Portfolio" tab

-Using "consistent growth" method.

-Entering a negative growth or "0" growth, I can see if my portfolio at a consistent negative growth still gives me 100%.

-I keep spending constant $120K, and everything else, pension and SS constant. -Pushing for a worse case scenario of a down market for 30 years!! Still gives me 100% which is encouraging. In reality, we spend much less than $120K, but ya never know.

I do have to die at 92, which is perfectly fine with me. And beneficiaries "Nada" which I can live with. That's what I appreciate most about Firecalc.com. The portfolio changes, also very helpful.

Last edited:
The last of the needed numbers has become available, so Firecalc has been updated to show results through Jan 1 2020.

Everyone stay healthy!

So far so good! How are ya buddy? I was just using firecalc the other day for the first time in a while and tuned in a few folks on it. I haven't heard from them in a couple of days, so I assume they're still face deep in numbers!

Got me thinking about the good old days, and our sleepy little coffee shop.

Thanks for keeping things up to date!

So far so good! How are ya buddy? I was just using firecalc the other day for the first time in a while and tuned in a few folks on it. I haven't heard from them in a couple of days, so I assume they're still face deep in numbers!

Got me thinking about the good old days, and our sleepy little coffee shop.

Thanks for keeping things up to date!

Hey CFB! Good to hear fro you. Been a while! Hope all is well!

Moved back onto dirt quite a few years ago, when grandkids started getting born :)

Thank you as I’ve just started using Firecalc. An awesome tool….

Btw…from your user name assume you own a CD36? I sail a CD22 out of Connecticut…;)

Thanks. Actually it was a 40 year old wood hulled Grand Banks 36. It's previous owner named it Dory, and following tradition, we kept that name.

Back
Top Bottom