First Cruise...What are Good Move Up Bids?

TrvlBug

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Question for cruisers. This is our first cruise, a 12 day in the Mediterranean. DH and I are very excited and just received a "move up" offer from Celebrity. In hindsight we should have splurged above the veranda stateroom we booked, but you know what they say about hindsight.

We want to place a bid on 3 of the higher category rooms. What do you consider a good bid? The weakest strong bid is about 80% of the max. bid. Should we go this route or will we have a chance with a weaker bid, say middle or even a strong weak bid? Thoughts on what a good bid would be. Thanks.

Don't bid - stick with what you have. You have the veranda - moving up is not going to get you something so significantly better that it will change your view of the cruise. Celebrity is really good, you will enjoy yourself. Set aside the money you would have bid with and splurge on other things during the cruise. Most of your time is going to be spent outside the cabin doing activities and things around the ship.

Since it's your first cruise, you really do not have a reference point to judge your cabin versus the higher category. I would also advise not getting a higher category for your first cruise, because it could taint your view of future cruises where you might be in a lower category.

I've been on 11 cruises, the last a year ago for our 25th wedding anniversary. The cruise line called a couple weeks before the cruise and gave us the super upgrade (for a very reasonable price) and we were spoiled silly from start to finish. It was a once in a lifetime experience for us. However, I am not certain I can get DW to go on another cruise in the future unless we can get that high end category, and it is way, way, way outside our normal budget.

First cruise for you - go, explore, get familiar with everything about cruising. Don't shoot your wad the very first time out. Again, it could spoil things for you in the future.

Last edited:
On celebrity if I already had a verandah I would pay about 10-15 percent more for aqua class (better food is all you get). For a suite I would pay double given the perks space and food level in the suite restaurant.

Looking to potentially do this Med tour upon F.I.R.E. in a few years...if you don't mind me asking about price, and plans for excursions ? Thanks

Don't bid - stick with what you have. You have the veranda - moving up is not going to get you something so significantly better that it will change your view of the cruise. Celebrity is really good, you will enjoy yourself. Set aside the money you would have bid with and splurge on other things during the cruise. Most of your time is going to be spent outside the cabin doing activities and things around the ship.

Since it's your first cruise, you really do not have a reference point to judge your cabin versus the higher category. I would also advise not getting a higher category for your first cruise, because it could taint your view of future cruises where you might be in a lower category.

I've been on 11 cruises, the last a year ago for our 25th wedding anniversary. The cruise line called a couple weeks before the cruise and gave us the super upgrade (for a very reasonable price) and we were spoiled silly from start to finish. It was a once in a lifetime experience for us. However, I am not certain I can get DW to go on another cruise in the future unless we can get that high end category, and it is way, way, way outside our normal budget.

First cruise for you - go, explore, get familiar with everything about cruising. Don't shoot your wad the very first time out. Again, it could spoil things for you in the future.

Very good points. In fact, one reason we went with the veranda rather than higher level staterooms is we assumed very little time in the room. While I'm not claustrophobic, the thought of no window did not appeal to me either so instead of a porthole, we decided to splurge on the veranda.

We're traveling with 2 other couples one of them being seasoned cruisers. They've both elected the cheapest room because they prefer to spend their $$$ elsewhere. One of them has cruised in each cabin type including suites and now only book 'the bowels of the ship'!

Discussing further with DH, we may put in a low, low bid hoping for a larger room/veranda, but not bidding anywhere near our earlier considerations. We're just excited to be going on our first ocean cruise although are very apprehensive about the crowds! Our ship carries 2000 passengers and the logistics of getting most off and on must be staggering...we both hate crowds.

Looking to potentially do this Med tour upon F.I.R.E. in a few years...if you don't mind me asking about price, and plans for excursions ? Thanks

Pricing varies tremendously depending on cabin type. We chose 3rd level up, lowest being bowels of the ship, then porthole, then our veranda. I think there are about 6 or 7 higher categories. Veranda included 2 free perks and we chose free wifi for 2 of our e-toys and the standard beverage package. DH can pay for his Chambord if he can't do without!

We're in port 8 days and have scheduled excursions each day. There were a number to chose from in each port, some all day, some 4-5 hours. 3 days at sea. Total cost $6500 ($3500 had we chosen bowels of the ship rooms) which includes their travel insurance but excludes gratuities. I don't believe there are any other costs associated with the cruise itself, but could be wrong. Obviously, there are additional costs associated with spas, specialty restaurants, premium beverage packages, wifi for add'l e-toys, and the like.

We booked our own flights as we're traveling from the West Coast and I refuse to fly anything other than biz if duration of flight is >5 hours. They offered economy flights which were quite reasonable. Our travel companions, traveling from the East Coast booked their flights through Celebrity and IIRC, are paying about $500/pp.

We're just excited to be going on our first ocean cruise although are very apprehensive about the crowds! Our ship carries 2000 passengers and the logistics of getting most off and on must be staggering...we both hate crowds.

Forget that thought - you will be very surprised about how much space there is. It will not feel very crowded, except possibly around the pools midday. These days, 2000 passengers is quite small. The larger ships in Celebrity's fleet are carrying 3000 and at Royal Caribbean it's over 6500 - and then another 2200 crew.

The check-in and boarding process is very coordinated and they process everyone very quickly. Just do the online check-in prior to your trip, have all your documents ready, and it takes no more than 5 minutes. They have up to 20 or 30 check-in stations at the terminal so there are plenty of reps to handle everyone.

Forget that thought - you will be very surprised about how much space there is. It will not feel very crowded, except possibly around the pools midday. These days, 2000 passengers is quite small. The larger ships in Celebrity's fleet are carrying 3000 and at Royal Caribbean it's over 6500 - and then another 2200 crew.

The check-in and boarding process is very coordinated and they process everyone very quickly. Just do the online check-in prior to your trip, have all your documents ready, and it takes no more than 5 minutes. They have up to 20 or 30 check-in stations at the terminal so there are plenty of reps to handle everyone.

Good to know, thank you. How about the process for the excursions? There are quite a few offerings each day. Are the start times staggered? Other process?

Good to know, thank you. How about the process for the excursions? There are quite a few offerings each day. Are the start times staggered? Other process?

As far as excursions go, don't race to sign up for the ones offered by the cruise line. You can generally wing it on your own, it will be less expensive, and you can generally have a more personalized experience. What you will get with the cruise line excursion is a guarantee that the ship will not leave without you. If a non-cruise line excursion gets back late, and you've missed the on-board time, you'll be waving to the ship as it leaves you behind. The ship waits for excursions booked through the cruise line. However, with good planning, you shouldn't have any problem if you wing it on your own.

Go over to cruisecritic.com, sign up, and review their message boards, you will learn a lot there. There are forums for all of the ports and folks will provide many recommendations of the best things to do in each. There should also be a roll call thread for your specific cruise/date and you can socialize ahead of time and ask questions of others who will be on the cruise with you.

As far as the excursions from the cruise line, depending on the length and how popular they are, they can have staggered times. Some may be capacity limited by the local provider if they don't have enough employees (or buses or boats depending on the type of excursion) and possibly there are a few ships in port that day.

About a month ago we did a 7 day NCL cruise to Bermuda. Was nice. Things I would change?

DW had purchased premium dinners for a few nights. Dont know if possible to buy one meal and split since the portions are enough to feed 2 easily if not 4. Both $$ savings & less wasted food would be ideal to me.

Had a balcony looking over the tops of life boats. Meh... not big enough for a lounge chair, just two straight back chairs. Much preferred hanging out by the walking track with reclining chairs which was quite and peaceful.

I always booked the cheapest cabin. You can sleep until you are not tired, as the room is pitch black. Then you get up and leave the room. The ports are the same as the highest priced rooms.

If you are hanging out in the room, you could have stayed home and saved a ton of money.

The cruise you are going on is port intensive so save your money on the upgrade . All you will do is sleep and shower in the room.

Very good points. In fact, one reason we went with the veranda rather than higher level staterooms is we assumed very little time in the room. While I'm not claustrophobic, the thought of no window did not appeal to me either so instead of a porthole, we decided to splurge on the veranda.

Based on our experience (7 cruises, both ocean and river) the least expensive cabin with a veranda is the sweet spot. I had enough portholes and interior rooms with no natural light during my Navy days!

Believe it or not sometimes a supposed upgrade may not be as good a cabin as what you have. What the cruise line deems to be an upgrade may still mean a cabin located at one end of the ship far from where you want to be, near a noisy section of the ship, etc. If you're happy with your current selection and its location, you're probably better off not bidding for any upgrade.

I had enough portholes and interior rooms with no natural light during my Navy days!
Imagine how much more fun it would have been if you were a submariner.

While others are mentioning not upgrading, as someone who is planning their first cruise for next year I'll say go for it.

The no window ideas? forget it, I'd have claustrophobia. Even just a portal, not for me. A veranda you can sit out on is my personal minimum (I will need some quiet me time no matter where I am). And what if you come down ill (cold or flu) and need some extra bed rest?

Yours is also a 12 day cruise. That's an awful long time to hate the space even if it is just to sleep & shower. So go for it!

Imagine how much more fun it would have been if you were a submariner.

I got anxious staying overnight on the Queen Mary drydocked in Long Beach. :blush:

We even had 2 portholes, but it was way too claustrophobia-inducing for me. (I had no idea I’d react that way.)

I can’t imagine life in a sub.

Yours is also a 12 day cruise. That's an awful long time to hate the space even if it is just to sleep & shower. So go for it!

I have been on over 34 cruises so two years ago when booking a transatlantic (16 days ) I thought I needed a balcony room at least . It was a giant waste . The weather was chilly so we did not use the balcony. There was also nothing to see in the middle of the ocean . We have booked another transatlantic but this time it will be in an ocean view cabin.

We're traveling with 2 other couples one of them being seasoned cruisers. They've both elected the cheapest room because they prefer to spend their $$$ elsewhere. One of them has cruised in each cabin type including suites and now only book 'the bowels of the ship'!

Be careful if you upgrade. On Celebrity, some higher cabin classes come with different dining rooms, special lounges, etc. If you have access to some facilities that your traveling companions do not, then you'll most likely end up not using those facilities and therefore not getting your money's worth out of an upgrade.

Our last cruise was with a veranda cabin. We stepped out once for a few minutes then never used it again. It was either too windy, or nothing out there to see. And we did not want to be cooped up inside the cabin anyway.

While others are mentioning not upgrading, as someone who is planning their first cruise for next year I'll say go for it.

Having never been on a cruise, the quoted advice, though well-intentioned, is off the mark. "Hate the space" is an awfully strong phrase when we're speaking of a veranda cabin, which comparatively, is certainly not on the inexpensive side to begin with. It is extremely doubtful anyone would hate that space, unless, as I mentioned previously, they've possibly already been spoiled in a higher category, or there are more than two in the cabin. First time cruiser, will not hate the space. Upgrades from the veranda category to higher ones can become extremely expensive very quickly and really do not provide significantly more unless you are talking about the most expensive suites. What the cruise line will call a "junior suite" or "family suite" is possibly the biggest waste, as it is little better than an average veranda, maybe with 10 or 20 additional square feet, at a significant jump in price. They rely on the fact that it is termed as a "suite", but generally it does not include the majority of desired suite perks.

OP should rely on the advice of her travel companions who are seasoned cruisers and will be able to provide more realistic/experienced advice.

Last edited:
For a med cruise, having a veranda is more important than a carribean or trans Atlantic. But cruise lines have perfected the art of knotching you up, repeatedly. As you go, they're showing you the unburdened, single person daily rate. Start adding in the taxes and multiply by people and days and you're into real money for a few extra square feet. I feel first time cruisers are more susceptible to this cabin creep because long time cruisers know that the cabin type isn't what makes or breaks the cruise. There are some ''cabin snobs" but it's pretty expensive to compete in that arena.

I really appreciated the Aqua class on Celebrity. We only tried the main dining room once. The food at Aqua was far better and much healthier than the offerings in the main dining room.

I agree with others about a veranda cabin being good enough.

Back
Top Bottom