First record I bought with my own money

I used to love Alice Cooper! When I was a kid, my SIL (who was around 10 years older than me) made me a white top-hat to go with the white jacket I had made so that I could look like him in the "Elected" video!
Oh now that is too cool! :D

Yep! That was a great album!
I nearly wore that album out. I took good care of it though and it plays well even today. ....yep, I've got a turntable. :)

The first album my parents gave me was Andy Williams. Heh...imagine their [-]horror[/-] surprise when I brought Alice home. :LOL:

It's really hard to remember, but I think the first LP I ever bought was "Surrealistic Pillow", by Jefferson Airplane. I have no idea where I got the money from... probably allowance :)

I don't know how you guys remember stuff from so long ago. I've never purchased a record since i'm not that old. My first cassette was probably Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" then Def Leppard's "Hysteria". I was born in 1979 so I was only about 7 or 8 at the time. I must have saved money that I received as gifts from relatives to pay for those. I think it's been about 11 years since I bought music of any kind.

I don't know how you guys remember stuff from so long ago.
Most things I've forgotten, but I remember purchasing records because they were so important to me. I'll bet that when you're a bit older you'll remember the things that were important to you when growing up, and forget the rest. That's pretty much what I did.

I bought tons of 45 's . Neil Sedaka , Fabian , Frankie Avalon, The Supremes, Jan & Dean ,The beach boys ,etc. My first album was the Beatles "Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Heart club band"

(snip) I don't know how you guys remember stuff from so long ago. I've never purchased a record since i'm not that old..
:LOL:......:dead:....yep I'm a fossil....:ROFLMAO:

Music back in the day, the way I look at it....was a sign of the times.

Speaking of remembering, I can hear a song I haven't heard in years and I'll be able to remember every word. :)

Well, I'm happy to say that the first 45RPM I bought is one I still think is a great song:

YouTube - simon and garfunkel hazy shade of winter

I think that guitar 'hook' from a folk group just 'got me'. Hmmm, never thought of it before, I'd have to look at the sheet music, but it seems that if you took that guitar line, slid a few notes over to the blues scale you'd be kinda close to 'Day Tripper' (which, IIRC w/o getting up and going to the keyboard, is a blues scale, though not played as a blues song).

And great lyrics. Seems like an odd song to catch the attention of a young kid.

And the flip side is very soft and dreamy. I recall thinking it was very interesting, but in an odd way. I've come to appreciate it even more over the years:

YouTube - Simon and Garfunkel - For Emily (Live 1969)

As far as first albums - can't recall exactly, but I think there were a few that did not stand the test of time so well. A bit later, many that did.

-ERD50

The first album my parents gave me was Andy Williams. Heh...imagine their [-]horror[/-] surprise when I brought Alice home. :LOL:

You were probably right the first time... If anyone remembers "Steppenwolf Live", and the song "Monster", there's a section before the bridge where they play the same chord - think orchestra hit - for, I don't know, 12 bars, nice and slow for effect. My dad used to love that blaring on the stereo... :LOL:

Then, there was the Country Joe and the "Fish Cheer"...

It's really hard to remember, but I think the first LP I ever bought was "Surrealistic Pillow", by Jefferson Airplane. I have no idea where I got the money from... probably allowance :)

Excellent choice! You mean we were supposed to pay for those?

I don't know how you guys remember stuff from so long ago. I've never purchased a record since i'm not that old.

[Three Stooges] Oh, wise guy, eh? [/Three Stooges]

Started with 45s, then to "albums", along with eight-tracks, cassettes, CDs, DVDs, MP3s... Still have 300-ish vinyl and about the same number of CDs, many of them repeats of now scratchy vinyl I already owned.

Don't remember my first eight-track, and mostly recorded my own cassette mixes, but the first CD I bought was a used copy of Santana's Greatest Hits, which contained the radio version of "Evil Ways"... :mad:

Glad I only paid $5 for it...

You guys are YOUNG. My first single was the Everly Brothers, Bye Bye Love, I think.

Not sure (45 years ago); think: Tom Lehrer.

The first album I bought with my own money was this one by Blood, Sweat and Tears released in 1968. I loved it so.

Attachments

• blood sweat and tears.jpg
    blood sweat and tears.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 55
Fragile, by Yes, 1972. Chore money.

Amethyst

You were probably right the first time... If anyone remembers "Steppenwolf Live", and the song "Monster", there's a section before the bridge where they play the same chord - think orchestra hit - for, I don't know, 12 bars, nice and slow for effect. My dad used to love that blaring on the stereo... :LOL:

I just went to youtube for another memory lane trip. In a related vein, my first 'big concert' was Steppenwolf. Listen to it all, but the "orchestral hits" you refer to lead in at 3:00 (yeah, my Dad would have 'loved' that too!).

YouTube - Steppenwolf - Monster

What a beautiful, powerful, sad, satirical, yet optimistic song/medley (it's actually listed as three songs - "Monster"/ "Suicide"/ "America" – 9:15) that was. It's even better than I remember. Here's some of the lyrics, as true and relevant today as they were then:

Steppenwolf:Monster Lyrics - Lyric Wiki - song lyrics, music lyrics

Monster

Once the religious, the hunted and weary
Chasing the promise of freedom and hope
Came to this country to build a new vision
Far from the reaches of kingdom and pope

Like good Christians, some would burn the witches
Later some got slaves to gather riches

But still from near and far to seek America
They came by thousands, to court the wild
But she just patiently smiled, and bore a child
To be their spirit and guiding light

While we bullied, stole and bought our a homeland
We began the slaughter of the red man

And though the past has it's share of injustice
Kind was the spirit in many a way
But it's protectors and friends have been sleeping
Now it's a monster and will not obey

{cue orchestral hits}

Suicide

The spirit was freedom and justice
And it's keepers seemed generous and kind
It's leaders were supposed to serve the country
But now they won't, pay it no mind

'Cause the people grew fat and got lazy
Now their vote is a meaningless joke

The cities have turned into jungles
And corruption is stranglin' the land

We don't know how to mind our own business
'Cause the whole worlds got to be just like us
Now we are fighting a war over there
No matter who's the winner, we can't pay the cost

'Cause there's a monster on the loose
It's got our heads into a noose
And it just sits there, watching

America
America where are you now
Don't you care about your sons and daughters
Don't you know we need you now
We can't fight alone against the monster

Wow - ERD50

Think it was

boston%27s%20First%20Album.jpg

Later, it was also the first casette I bought. And then it was the first CD I bought.

MY first two albums were bought on a hot day in 1971. I skipped school and hitch hiked to the store and bought Alice Cooper's Love it to death and Black Sabbath's Paranoid. The money came from part time work at local farms. These Albums were quickly followed by Led Zepplin III, Killer, Atomic Rooster's Death Walks Behind You and Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath.

Attachments

• 220px-Aclove.jpg
    220px-Aclove.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 220px-Black_Sabbath_-_Paranoid.jpg
    220px-Black_Sabbath_-_Paranoid.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 74
  • 220px-Death_Walks_Behind_You.jpg
    220px-Death_Walks_Behind_You.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 72
  • 220px-Ledzeppeliniii.jpg
    220px-Ledzeppeliniii.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 71
It doesn't seem that long ago. It was also the first year I heard myself referred to as "jail bait" and had to ask my mother what that meant.

Amethyst

I don't know how you guys remember stuff from so long ago. I've never purchased a record since i'm not that old. My first cassette was probably Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" then Def Leppard's "Hysteria". I was born in 1979 so I was only about 7 or 8 at the time. I must have saved money that I received as gifts from relatives to pay for those. I think it's been about 11 years since I bought music of any kind.

I have no idea what the answers are. Not even close to remembering my first purchases and I'm often mystified that many people do remember such things after many, many years. My brain just doesn't seem to retain that type of trivia. Wish it did though as it seems fun.

Not surprising many here were into rebellious music back in the day. That may explain why we had a hard time with the old ball and chain at work.

1st LPs at a 3 for $25 sale in 1979:
Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars by David Bowie
Live at Leeds by The Who
Surfs Up by Jon and the Nightriders

1st Cd: The Key by Joan Armatrading

Single: Never
Cassette: Never

Not surprising many here were into rebellious music back in the day. That may explain why we had a hard time with the old ball and chain at work.

Nice observation. These lyrics (from my 1st) have been ringing in my head like an anthem since I was 14:

Now you're climbing to the top of the company ladder,
Hope it doesn't take too long.
Can't you see there'll come a day when it won't matter,
Come a day when you'll be gone?

Back
Top Bottom