First Social Security Check!!

The other nice thing are the "raises" from COL and her part-time earnings adjustments. It is her money to "Blow That Dough!" but for now she just wants me to invest it.

Yes! My benefit is not big but I get the cost of living adjustment and then a few months later I get another small increase from my very minimal part time work. This happens after my last years income gets reported, usually in March.

Congrats Cindy! Hope to see you posting in the "blow that dough" thread now!

Congrats Cindy! Hope to see you posting in the "blow that dough" thread now!

I am headed down that road - I'm lusting after a new walking mower! I love my old mower - it has great pull to help me up the sides of the hills, and once started, it works like a champ on our very rough ground and thick grass in the pasture and on the hills. But...I have to take out the spark plug and clean it at least three times, usually more, before it will start, and I'd sure like to have one that starts easier!

Last edited:
SS is always paid one month later. Your March benefit is paid in April. April benefit is paid in May, etc.

That makes sense to me. When I was working my paycheck was at the end of the period (and sometimes beyond the end).

If my birthday falls in the middle of the month is the first payment prorated?

That makes sense to me. When I was working my paycheck was at the end of the period (and sometimes beyond the end).

If my birthday falls in the middle of the month is the first payment prorated?
No. If you were born any day after the 2nd of the month, you get nothing until you have a full month in which you were eligible every day of that month. So, if you turned 62 on April 5th, you will get your first check the first Wednesday in June, and it will be for May only (i.e. - one month's worth).

I am headed down that road - I'm lusting after a new walking mower! I love my old mower - it has great pull to help me up the sides of the hills, and once started, it works like a champ on our very rough ground and thick grass in the pasture and on the hills. But...I have to take out the spark plug and clean it at least three times, usually more, before it will start, and I'd sure like to have one that starts easier!

I LOVE Toro mowers. Their "personal pace" feature is great. The recycler series is for most people...or if you want it to last virtually forever get the super recycler series with aluminum deck. They make electric mowers too if you are energy conscious.

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers

I know I've earned it, but it still feels as if I'm being paid for not working!:dance:

My (older) sister says I am now officially old - and welcomed me to the club :)

Is that cool or what? All you have to do is maintain a pulse and every month they send you what feels like free money. Yay! I call the SS card my "Official Curmudgeon Card".

DW will be applying for her SS next fall. A while back her nephew asked her what she'd be doing with the money, and I spoke up and said "She'll be spoiling your kids rotten!":LOL:

I LOVE Toro mowers. Their "personal pace" feature is great.

I'll have to second that opinion, mine works great. I bought the stamped steel deck version but it shows no signs of corrosion yet but it's only on it's second year. I do keep it clean and in a dry shed though. And I've read good things about their electric version, but our yard is too large for an electric one. I bought the electric start gas engine version (DW occasionally uses it and cannot start the gas engine with the rope).

No. If you were born any day after the 2nd of the month, you get nothing until you have a full month in which you were eligible every day of that month. So, if you turned 62 on April 5th, you will get your first check the first Wednesday in June, and it will be for May only (i.e. - one month's worth).

Thanks

Is that cool or what? All you have to do is maintain a pulse and every month they send you what feels like free money. Yay! I call the SS card my "Official Curmudgeon Card".

"Official Curmudgeon Card" - I love it! :LOL:

I LOVE Toro mowers. Their "personal pace" feature is great. The recycler series is for most people...or if you want it to last virtually forever get the super recycler series with aluminum deck. They make electric mowers too if you are energy conscious.

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers

Thanks for the recommendation! Will it mow pasture? We mow often enough to keep the grass reasonably low, but there are branches and rocks and gopher holes (ie.e, mounds of dirt!) and side hills to do...

Social Security only pays for full months of eligibility, so they need to know that you made it to the end of the month. Hence, they pay in arrears. The exact day the next month depends on your birthday, but it is always the next month.

Thank you. I stand corrected. I went back and checked my bank account records and indeed, I was paid for the month I turned my FRA of 66, November. However I was actually paid in December. There can still be a difference in the first month you are paid. For instance, if you turn 62 on May15th and file for benefits as early as possible, you will not be paid for the month of May, but paid for the month of June, since June is the 1st full month you are 62. That payment will be paid in July. However, when filing for SS beginning the month you turn FRA, assuming again it is the 15th of May, You will be paid for the full month of May, in June.

File at 62 and SS starts coverage in the 1st full month you are 62. (One small exception. If your B'day is on the 1st or 2nd, You are considered 62 for the entire birthday month) File for benefits at FRA and SS coverage starts in the month you turn FRA.

edit: I just saw your later reply in post #31

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation! Will it mow pasture? We mow often enough to keep the grass reasonably low, but there are branches and rocks and gopher holes (ie.e, mounds of dirt!) and side hills to do...

Um, for that I think you want a brush hog, not a lawn mower. A lawn mower would not last long doing branches and rocks.

Um, for that I think you want a brush hog, not a lawn mower. A lawn mower would not last long doing branches and rocks.

My old mower has been working well in reasonably difficult terrain for years. I just don't know how it's been doing such a tough job for so long, bless it's little heart! I'll bet a newer mower couldn't hold up to the work!

We are finally beginning to get the property cleared out enough that it's easier on the mower (and the one mowing with the mower!:)) We've pulled out brush with the truck and the chain saw, finally cleared out about an acre of blackberry bushes with a machete and the chain saw and the mower, mowed the very high thick hay grass in the pasture (so thick - ugh! What a job!) and cut down a bunch of small trees. It's almost at maintenance level rather than repair mode.

I'm going to look up "brush hog" - thank you for the recommendation! Now that we've finally almost cleared things out, will a brush hog take care of (relatively) flat pasture like a mower will, but better on the branches and growing brush and blackberries?? And can I walk it along the side of a hill (at least 45 degrees) without killing myself?

Probably not, but they might make a high wheel version....check their website p

My old mower has been working well in reasonably difficult terrain for years. I just don't know how it's been doing such a tough job for so long, bless it's little heart! I'll bet a newer mower couldn't hold up to the work!

We are finally beginning to get the property cleared out enough that it's easier on the mower (and the one mowing with the mower!:)) We've pulled out brush with the truck and the chain saw, finally cleared out about an acre of blackberry bushes with a machete and the chain saw and the mower, mowed the very high thick hay grass in the pasture (so thick - ugh! What a job!) and cut down a bunch of small trees. It's almost at maintenance level rather than repair mode.

I'm going to look up "brush hog" - thank you for the recommendation! Now that we've finally almost cleared things out, will a brush hog take care of (relatively) flat pasture like a mower will, but better on the branches and growing brush and blackberries?? And can I walk it along the side of a hill (at least 45 degrees) without killing myself?
I think he meant bush hog, not brush hog

i think he meant bush hog, not brush hog

Brush Hog.PNG

Thank you, everyone! I've now researched brush hogs and bush hogs and riding mowers and walking hand mowers, and I've learned more about mowing equipment than I'd ever thought was possible (grin!)

After all that reading, I've come to the conclusion that because we've already done the hard work of clearing the place out, and because we have been keeping up on the mowing, that what we need is just what we have - hubby's riding mower for the flat pasture, and my walking hand mower for the hills. If we still had the high grass and bush area to clear, a brush or bush hog would be perfect (and would have saved us a lot of hand labor!!) but now that it's done, we don't need that kind of tough machine.

So...my "blow that dough" research will now be about a solid, hard working walking hand mower for me (grin!)

It's always a nice feeling to know that check will show up every month!
Glad your issue was resolved so easily and quickly.

Congrats as well. My wife was reluctant to do the work required to collect. Having to go through the embassy where we are only complicated matters. But once she got someone on the phone it was easy, they even surprised her with the 10 months of payments she hadn't collected.

We don't need that money to live but her savings are no where near mine, so I feel great that her Savings account is growing and she feels more secure with her own cash set aside. We are only married for two years but back together now for 10. I had set up an funded a separate account for her but she wouldn't touch it. Now she has no problem helping her daughter or treating herself although she is still a total spendthrift... Which I am actually okay with!!!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom