first time trip to London, advice.

Make sure you buy a visitor oyster card before you leave for your trip (not available in London). One per person. They will save you a lot of money on buses and the tube:
https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card

Because of the tube its not really important where you stay, but I try to stay near a tube station.. My last visit was north of Regent's park Near the swiss cottage stop. I prefer to be out of the most touristy areas. Really good, low cost (for London), restaurants in the Swiss Cottage area. We had some great curries and a notably good Ethiopian meal.

Thank you for the reminder. Leaving on the 24th of July and just went on line and ordered. Very efficient.

"I remember years ago a guy I knew told me that people going to England find exactly what they go looking for. I said I'd go looking for the England of English Literature, and he nodded and said: 'It's there.'"

-- 84 Charing Cross Road, by Helene Hanff

I picked up 84 Charing Cross Road at a London booksellers back in 1976. If you can, see the beautiful movie of the same name. Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft star.

So much has changed, I don't know what I'd recommend that hasn't already been suggested, save this: See if you can find a pub that serves a ploughman's lunch. It's usually a slice of pate, a chunk of cheese, a hunk of bread and a pickled onion. Goes down a treat with a pint of bitter. Everybody does fish and chips and there are a million gastropubs, but the ploughman's lunch is real England.

You have to look at the foods you wouldn't try thread.

Some won't try things no matter how culturally authentic.

Many will ask you what you think of our president. No matter what your opinion is, politely respond "we're on holiday and prefer not to talk politics." Then change the subject before they push the topic.

Many will ask you what you think of our president. No matter what your opinion is, politely respond "we're on holiday and prefer not to talk politics." Then change the subject before they push the topic.

No kidding, I was there during election week and that kind of stuff was constant. I find the British love to talk politics.

Where would the fun be in that?!

We spent time in London in May of this year, so I can confirm that you can buy the Oyster card at the tube or the Heathrow Express/Connection station using a Chip & Signature cards. It will not ask for signature. I was able to get a refund at the tube station with no problems. I was told I could get a refund at the counter too. We had no issues with our American credit cards.

The Heathrow Connect is cheaper than the express and takes just 30 mins instead of 15. Good if you want to go to Paddington. Other options may be better for other destinations.

We found our smartphones indispensible. You can buy a SIM card there. Here's a discussion
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/best-data-network-in-the-uk-86348.html

I didn't see a Parliament tour mentioned. It is amazing and our guide was fantastic! In spring, tours are probably only on Saturdays. Book ahead. I recommend the guided tour. It was the one of the highlights of this trip to London.

We visited Kew Gardens for the first time and I think it is a great middle of your trip destination (if the weather holds). Alternatively, you could schedule a day at Hyde Park/Kensington or a trip to Greenwich & straddle the Prime Meridian. Greenwich is a cute town too.

I found Rick Steve's Westminster Walk to be good, but the other walks weren't as interesting & some, like the city walk, are long.

London has great restaurants and pubs. Pub food is much improved since myfirst visit there about 15 years ago. Pret-a-mangers on every street corner are inexpensive, healthy but a little boring.

We got a kick out of crossing the street in front of the Abbey Rd studios. If you like browsing through knick-knacks, go to Camden market. There was a fire there recently, but I don't know if there was much damage.

There are a number of markets around town. If you're staying in an apartment, they are a good source of food to bring back when you want to eat in.

Take good walking shoes, good rain gear and a good folding umbrella. You're there for the week and don't let the weather spoil your fun.

And if you get asked about politics - or anything else, I hope you engage. I find that to be the best part of traveling.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Engage all you want, but the first time I heard real rudeness in London it was people expressing their unasked for, unwanted political comments. I'm someone who was born in England and have multiple trips under my belt.

Back
Top Bottom