First trip to Ireland

We just got back from Europe , also spending some time in Ireland . We are blessed to have friends in Ireland and now many friends in Ireland . We learned so much about Ireland . We spent very little time in Dublin . To us just a another big city . We spent our time in Mayo county with the Irish . We visited the cliffs , the dome Down Patrick head where St Patrick built a church . This is some of the most beautiful area in the world . We attended Bonnieconlin a really nice county fair . We went to the Jackie Clarke museum and if you are Irish you should too. The Irish have a very very sad history . Jackie Clark museum shows it all . We never knew about White Slavery (Irish ) sent to the U S . We went to the Moye river where the Irish were not allowed to fish in for years because it belonged to the Royal Family . The Irish were hanged for fishing in a river that ran through their village . We were there for beer Monday and drank lots of beer . 12% . We even wet to a pub in a funeral home where a family were holding a wake. Here is something , we went to Amsterdam from Ireland . We ran into a lady and her husband who seen us in Bellana . She said she knew were Americans and when we return we are invited to their home for a real Irish breakfast . The weather 50s and 60s rained every day and the wind blew like hell . Leave Dublin , visit the Green and Red of Mayo

If you don't drink, what else would there be to do? Obviously I would enjoy some of the pub food, but I do prefer to cook my own food when travelling. Any specific irish dishes to try?

We were in Ireland a week before the Irish football championship . Mayo VS Dublin the pubs in Bellina were electric . You see basically Irish football is an amateur game and what ever county you are born in you must play for their team . Mayo county is almost 50k population Dublin is huge So these two teams played last Saturday in Dublin 86000 fans . Irish football is a tough sport . I asked my friend what happens if you break your leg in the game . He said you are a hero. Dublin crushed Mayo .

Another driving tip: allow twice as long as you think it will take to get anywhere. The roads are mostly two lane and winding, so often you can't drive safely much above 30-40 MPH.

For example, when we'd see the distance from Dublin to Derry is 200 miles (for the sake of argument) we'd think we could get there in about 4 hours. Took more like 8. Part of the delay was waiting 10 minutes for a herd of sheep to pass by!

That was 12 years ago, so maybe since then more major roads have been built. At the time there were really only two highways, between Galway-Dublin and Dublin-Belfast. But it's a relatively small country, and why hurry anyway? That's much of the charm of Ireland.

As for lodging, we really enjoyed some of the youth hostels. Very modern and comfy, cheaper than B&Bs and a great way to meet both locals and travelers from around the world.

Have a great trip!

This is aikin to NZ. One thing I remember was I kept thinking Oh, it's only X km so it can't be that long,but the ETA was like 2x what I am used to for the distances...why? Hills and curves with not many straight aways.

If you don't drink, what else would there be to do? Obviously I would enjoy some of the pub food, but I do prefer to cook my own food when travelling. Any specific irish dishes to try?

There aren't a lot of foods that stand out to me as "Irish". Every piece of lamb and fish I had was excellent, though I skipped the fish and chips because it always looked greasy to me.
They make a black and white pudding that is "interesting", but nothing I would try and duplicate.
The food was always good, just not memorable. Its not like foodie destinations in Italy or France.

As I mentioned earlier Ireland is about the scenery, the countryside, the coast, hiking, small towns, music. Its beautiful and rustic. The bigger cities aren't anything overly special.

Last edited:

When my wife and I went she was pregnant, so no drinking for her. And we had our two year old with us, so limited drinking for me. If you're in Dublin, a big draw are the pubs, of course, but there's a ton more to do than that. And outside of the city, exploring, seeing the sights, visiting castles, hiking, etc. are all non-drinking activities.

My favorite food when I was there was actually their smoked salmon that I had in one form or the other basically every morning for breakfast. Otherwise, their cuisine is a lot of heavy sausage and lamb based stews and such as well as fish and chips. I wouldn't say their cuisine was a highlight of the trip, but it also wasn't bad.

Our kiddos surprised us with a great trip to Ireland a couple summers ago.

Castles galore ...pick a few, don't visit them all

Agree with loveliness of the 'people' part that you just can't plan, like talking to B&B owners where we stayed, pub patrons where we ate, etc

Loved the breakfasts

Driving: pause before making any turn to remind yourself where the cars are coming from -- "Left turn...look right!" -- we had sayings like that to make a game of it.

Like others have said, rent a small car

You''l have a great trip!

Smithwicks Red Ale! I watched most of a Women's Cup match at Gibney's if I recall correctly. Nice place, along with the Castle.

If you find yourselves in Malahide (coastal town outside Dublin - and not a bad stay for next day flights if departing Dublin), have a pint or two at Gibney's. A grand pub with an outside courtyard.

It's also the land of my ancestors, we went there a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Had unusually good weather.

My one area of advice is about the driving:
Pay the extra for an automatic unless you regularly drive one at home.
Get a small car.
Be sure your credit card will cover collision damage.
Try to avoid driving in cities, especially larger ones.
Buy a good paper map and have GPS- in your phone (data hog) or handheld.

Most important- if you have a spouse or someone riding with you, make it clear that they are part of the crew, not just a passenger. Their main job is to always be alert for you or some other tourist being on the wrong side of the road when making turns or dealing with traffic circles.

Enjoy!

Some crazy things we learned about Ireland from our trip and visit to the Jackie Clarke Museum in Ballina
1st slaves to the U S were Irish called indentured servants . Seen letters from families taken from Ireland to Virginia very sad Irish were livestock.
Nobody could fish in the Moye river till the 1970's because the Royal family owned it .
The English tried to starve the Irish out and this is how so many came to the U S .
In 1921 Ireland became a Republic , we got a copy of their Declaration of independence . The Jacke Clarke museum had so many photos ,letters and stuff from the beginning of Ireland . Over 130,00 documents . Peter Clarke today runs the Jacke Clarke Museum . If you ever go to Ireland please go to Ballina and visit this museum . It is a treasure .

Was there in June:

Book of Kells was removed for conservation, so check to see if it is back. Otherwise you are looking at a replica.

Go to the Museum of Archaeology in Dublin (free) to see the best metalwork and Viking artifacts.

If you're close to Yeats country, visit Thoor Ballylee in Gort. Restored accessible Norman tower (you will see a lot of broken ones everywhere). Entirely an effort of love by Yeats fans, not an official tourist stop, so very nice to visit.

For GoT fans, visit the exhibit in Belfast, if it hasn't moved on. Also look up the various stained glass window signs that are located throughout Belfast, one for every show in the last season. Also visit the jewelry store of Steensons where are they have some of the show's jewels on display and sell GoT themed jewelry.

Go to Oliver Plunketts pub in Cork (have a great show upstairs) and then see his relics (incl his jail cell door) at the main church in Drogheda (St Peter).

While around Drogheda, go to Newgrange ... Hopefully the visitor center is open. Otherwise ask around to find a historian who has site access. You must go inside.

When at the Rock of Cashel, pay for the extra tour to go inside the chapel.

When you're close to St Brigid's well, stop and get your bottle filled with holy water. It's a big deal to some people. Lots of other holy wells too.

If you are close to Slade, find Huntington Castle. They have an allee of yew trees in their garden that's better than the Kings Road allee in N Ireland.

Bonane Heritage Park in Kerry is another local labor of love that you should visit.

That's off the top of my head ... Have fun!

Trips to Ireland

Going back for 10 days in a couple of weeks. First trip 2 years ago was a guided tour through Brendan Tours. Basically started in Dublin, then around the coast through Sligo back to Dublin. Departed from the tour for 1 night in Killarney to visit relatives in Goleen. The Irish famine museum was an eye opener. Learning about “Irish wakes”...a farewell gathering for people emigrating, because they knew they would never see their parents again. There is an island off the most southwest point of Ireland (Goleen ), called Teardrop Island because that was the last land visible as the famine ships set sail. Blarney Stone overrated. Seeing Waterford Crystal made was awesome, though you can buy that on the Internet now. Cliff of Moher was fantastic. The pubs/music in Killarney and Galway were great (Dublin too). This time, flying into and out of Shannon.Visiting Westmeath, Roscommon,/Mayo where ancestors came from. Doing 1 night in Galway Center, Cinanara marble factory, then Doolin (Irish music capital of Ireland). Taking a ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor (Aran Islands). Killarney for 2 nights (love the city), Then down to Castletownbere where other ancestors came from. Over to the culinary capital of Kinsale, Then staying 1 night in Goleen, visit the Mizeb Head which is supposed to be beautiful. And back to Shannon Airport. Last visit, we had an evening cruise on the Shannon River which was great. Drank Guinness in Dublin, Murphy’s and Jamison’s in Killarney. Irish coffee was great too. During the famine, they lost half their population to death or emigration. There are more people in other countries of Irish decent now, than there are in Ireland. Learning about the peat used for fires was nixed, and bought some peat incense. One of the best things for me, was just visiting the country where most of my ancestors lived before emigrating for a better life.

Was there in June:

Book of Kells was removed for conservation, so check to see if it is back. Otherwise you are looking at a replica.

Go to the Museum of Archaeology in Dublin (free) to see the best metalwork and Viking artifacts.

If you're close to Yeats country, visit Thoor Ballylee in Gort. Restored accessible Norman tower (you will see a lot of broken ones everywhere). Entirely an effort of love by Yeats fans, not an official tourist stop, so very nice to visit.

For GoT fans, visit the exhibit in Belfast, if it hasn't moved on. Also look up the various stained glass window signs that are located throughout Belfast, one for every show in the last season. Also visit the jewelry store of Steensons where are they have some of the show's jewels on display and sell GoT themed jewelry.

Go to Oliver Plunketts pub in Cork (have a great show upstairs) and then see his relics (incl his jail cell door) at the main church in Drogheda (St Peter).

While around Drogheda, go to Newgrange ... Hopefully the visitor center is open. Otherwise ask around to find a historian who has site access. You must go inside.

When at the Rock of Cashel, pay for the extra tour to go inside the chapel.

When you're close to St Brigid's well, stop and get your bottle filled with holy water. It's a big deal to some people. Lots of other holy wells too.

If you are close to Slade, find Huntington Castle. They have an allee of yew trees in their garden that's better than the Kings Road allee in N Ireland.

Bonane Heritage Park in Kerry is another local labor of love that you should visit.

That's off the top of my head ... Have fun!

Another cool place if you're a GoT fan is King's Road in Northern Ireland. It's really just a country road with large beech trees, but having watched the series, it was cool to walk down the road. These trees are old, around 250 years, and they're dying. There's now about half the number of trees that were originally planted due to being blown over or dying of old age. It's still massively impressive. But, if this is something you want to see, see it now.

From the show (with obviously a lot of computer animation):

Our trip:
IMG_20190113_112558.jpg

Back
Top Bottom