Flash is dead, "investigate" page no longer works

music-and-ski

Recycles dryer sheets
As promised, Adobe is removing Flash support. It's gone off my MacOS system as of the latest update. The "Investigate" page on Firecalc uses it, so that page doesn't work.

How hard to update the "investigate" to use something else, other than Flash?

As promised, Adobe is removing Flash support. It's gone off my MacOS system as of the latest update. The "Investigate" page on Firecalc uses it, so that page doesn't work.

How hard to update the "investigate" to use something else, other than Flash?

I suspect it could be done without too trouble with JavaScript , but I swore of programming once I retired .

I am still programming, and although Javascript is about my least favourite language there are some great libraries nowadays that can be plugged in easily enough.

What's the back-end language?

Thanks for posting up about this - we'll get it fixed.

You can still see the number for your target percentage, just not the graph. If you want 100%, not the 95% in default, you can adjust at "investigate" to see how much you can spend.

In Chrome, you can adjust the settings for Flash for any specific site. It's possible to enable Flash selectively for firecalc.com, which I've done and confirmed that it works. So, for now at least, I can see the graph on the Investigate page.

However, I believe that this will only work for another few weeks. As of January, it's my understanding that Flash support in Chrome will be dropped entirely, with no way to selectively enable it for any site.

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of requests for updating FIRECalc to work fully without any reliance on Flash. I have a programming background, so I would be willing to volunteer to help with this. In my prior w*rking life, I did extensive website programming using both Javascript and Flash (Actionscript).

The Investigate Tab fails to return a plot when seeking a spending level. This failure happens on both Firefox and Edge. Flash is not installed on machine.

Not working for me yet.
MacOS Catalina (10.15.7)
Safari 14.0

Not a problem, as the information is there, just not the pretty graph.

Works for me on an older Mac installation: High Sierra 10.13.6 and Safari 13.1.2. I can tell that it is different than it used to be, but it works just as well.

Working today. Either it was tweaked again or my system restart did the trick. :dance:

Awesome job! It works great in both Firefox and Edge.

Great job replace Flash on Investigate page except one. Missed the Starting portfolio value graph.

Last edited:
The Investigate Tab fails to return a plot when seeking a spending level. This failure happens on both Firefox and Edge. Flash is not installed on machine.

Investigate works for me and shows a graph for "Spending Level" but only the single number (no graph) for "Starting portfolio value" (not a big deal, the single number is useful by itself). I see this was reported in post #11 and #16 as well.

All other Investigate options appear to provide a proper graph for me (Firefox/Linux).

Thanks for the update - looks good!

-ERD50

Last edited:
FYI, Just a reminder....

Flash is dead. Adobe recommends removing it from your computer. It has been a huge security risk for years, so getting rid of it is a no-brainer unless you want Boris in Roscanyagrad to get into your computer.

Here's the link for macs:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

I'll let the Windows users recommend a site for that OS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom