Flu Shots 2020

I have had the flu shot but friends in my town are looking for the senior high dose and it is no where to be found--some pharmacies told them they were not sure they were going to be able to get any more of the senior dose. The friends don't want to wait so they are going ahead with the regular dose.

I have had the flu shot but friends in my town are looking for the senior high dose and it is no where to be found--some pharmacies told them they were not sure they were going to be able to get any more of the senior dose. The friends don't want to wait so they are going ahead with the regular dose.
DW and I were in Kroger last Saturday to pick up a prescription and ask if we had to have an appointment for flu shot, the lady said no if we wanted to wait they could get it ready. we said ok and sat down to wait. She came back out to us and said they had just ran out of the high dose but would get more in on Monday. We called them Monday and were told that they weren't sure when or if they would have it back in so I guess we may have waited too long. I just check online with CVS and they have schedule time available but it doesn't specify high dose or not. I'm going to call when they open and ask.

Immediately after my very productive 'osteoarthritis telephone assessment' we walked over to our doctor's, (kitty corner from our condo townhouse complex), and got our flu shots.

'Regular', not 'old farts'.....they were given a limited number of the latter and those were saved for more 'at risk' patients.

I called CVS and they had the high dose w/no appointment needed so we went there and were in and out in about 30 min.( another couple in front of us) My arm isn't sore today but DW says hers is.

Does she know that a person can get it repeatedly :eek:

Yup. We told her. The doctor told her.

FWIW, she is 61, hasn't worked in years, lives with DMIL, and does not have any health insurance (by her own "informed" choice). So there is WAY more to the story. I'll leave it there.

Found a mega senior dose yesterday - at allergist's office which I frequent fortnightly for injections. Kept saying they'd get them, but this was first time they had.
As Koolau said, 2x - or so - dose for we SRs.

Saw a Fluzone High-dose Quadrivalent one-minute ad on network TV today during the CBS Evening News. Lots of people with gray hair :)

I got the other brand of Senior dose, the Fluad Quad, at CVS. 1 1/2 weeks later, DW got the Fluzone High-dose Quadrivalent at the same CVS, but on a Saturday. She left with minimal paperwork, just a tired-looking printout that said the shot name, and that was about it. I get all sorts of info there with shots, the printout with sticky backing that has the box labels, all of the info, including the pre-printed detailed info sheet. She got nothing, like she went to a different place, like a road-side stand :facepalm:
Don't know why such a difference at the same place. I encouraged her to go during the week, daytime, when the usual day crew is there. I tried...

Whenever I order something important in a store or wherever in-person, I do it during the week when the usual people are on the job. I avoid the second-stringers on weekends or after business hours.

Got mine while in the hospital for my neck surgery. My arm hurt worse than my neck the next day. I don't remember ever having a sore arm before due to a flu shot.

DW and I walked into Publix empty handed, and walked out with two pumpkins and $7.88 left on a gift card. Pretty sweat deal, getting $10 each. We never even showed our ID or insurance card. Just wrote our names on a form, check the boxes that we weren't allergic and all that stuff, got the shots, and were on our way. Their computer system must have looked us up, because it said "BCBS NC" on the paperwork.

Now I'm waving my arm around like a fool since the nurse said that might help prevent it from being sore tomorrow.

Flu shot at 10:30 this morning. Ran a couple of errands, went home, ate lunch, took an hour and a half nap completely zonked out (unusual for me) and now have very mild, almost unnoticeable pain in the left arm.

DW and I walked into Publix empty handed, and walked out with two pumpkins and $7.88 left on a gift card. Pretty sweat deal, getting $10 each. We never even showed our ID or insurance card. Just wrote our names on a form, check the boxes that we weren't allergic and all that stuff, got the shots, and were on our way. Their computer system must have looked us up, because it said "BCBS NC" on the paperwork.

Now I'm waving my arm around like a fool since the nurse said that might help prevent it from being sore tomorrow.

Uh, it didn't help.:LOL: Still, the pain was similar to last several year's flu shots, so I wouldn't worry about it but YMMV.

Uh, it didn't help.:LOL: Still, the pain was similar to last several year's flu shots, so I wouldn't worry about it but YMMV.
I don't know if the motion helped or not, but I had no pain at the injection site.

The only indication detected was a 0.6 degree increase in my overnight average temperature. That's not guaranteed to have been causes by the vaccination, but it's very rare that the temperature deviates that much without something to perturb it; it's +/- 0.3, 95% of the time.

It was Flucelvax Quad Seqirus.

I don't know if the motion helped or not, but I had no pain at the injection site.

The only indication detected was a 0.6 degree increase in my overnight average temperature. That's not guaranteed to have been causes by the vaccination, but it's very rare that the temperature deviates that much without something to perturb it; it's +/- 0.3, 95% of the time.

It was Flucelvax Quad Seqirus.

I never thought to check my temp. If I spike more than about a degree, I "feel" it otherwise in my body. As far as the pain in the arm, I always sort of figured that meant "it's working.:LOL:" YMMV

I never thought to check my temp. If I spike more than about a degree, I "feel" it otherwise in my body. As far as the pain in the arm, I always sort of figured that meant "it's working.:LOL:" YMMV
That temperature deviation wouldn't have been noticed without the "wearable" (sleep monitor) but it's cool that it seems to have registered.

As to the pain suggesting that it's working, I think you're right. No visible response could mean two things (I'm guessing here, not a clinician, never played one on TV). Your immune system was so effective with respect to the magnitude of the challenge that it was not noticable. And on the other side, if your immune system was so deficient, it never noticed the challenge. Anything in between will give you a reminder when you roll over on it during the night ;)

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the "Good News" thread:

Flu season in the US is off to a great start as the reported cases of influenza are well below the national baseline (see chart below). The CDC reports for the week ending 10/17 there were only 34 positives out of some 14,000 tests reported.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Attachments

• Flu.JPG
    Flu.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 39
I'll be getting my flu shot sometime next week, have requested an appointment with my doctor and am awaiting confirmation. It is free as my insurance covers preventative actions 100%. No concerns.

Slight change of plans. Doctor had to move appointment to a month away, mid-November. I did not want to wait that long, and with 3 CVS pharmacies less than 10 miles from me it was very easy for schedule a flu shot for DW and I, which we received yesterday. Nothing but the usual short period of soreness for me, I was fine playing golf this morning. DW had arm soreness a little longer, but feels much better today.

I couldn't help think of the several years in the past when there was a shortage of flu shot vaccine, and the difficulty in getting one. There now seem to be an abundance of options, almost all free.

I called my clinic twice early this month and they do not have the flu shot.
But I got it this morning from my employer.

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the "Good News" thread:

Flu season in the US is off to a great start as the reported cases of influenza are well below the national baseline (see chart below). The CDC reports for the week ending 10/17 there were only 34 positives out of some 14,000 tests reported.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Wow - that is excellent news. Let's hope the numbers stay that way.

I do think it's going to be lower due to peoples' behavior changing to avoid getting the pandemic virus. It's going to be hard to say exactly what the magnitude is because, well, people are changing their behavior (towards seeking medical attention) to avoid getting the pandemic virus. IOW, I wonder how many more people will opt to stay home with flu symptoms rather than jump in the car and go to the doctor. I guess the doctors might test for the flu and for SarsCoV2. And maybe with the slightest symptom, more people will want to know which they have, and jump in the car even more quickly. I'm not patient enough to think through all of this. But glad to see an indication that it's not looking like a double-whammy with both flu and covid slamming us.

Got the old fogey senior shot a couple days ago along with my annual physical and blood panel. Slight muscle soreness one day later and lasted a couple days. Not very bad but I can still notice a tad in the shoulder.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom