Flu Shots 2020

Got ours yesterday via Kaiser drive through. No waiting, a little more stinging this year, but no pain at all afterwards. Usually, I take ibuprofen the evening after my flu vax. didn't need to this year.

Last week at Safeway. Took ten minutes. Nobody else there. Insurance covered 100% and we got two 10% off coupons that we'll use when we purchase thanksgiving and xmas dinner meals!

Got mine this morning at CVS. Called office of new PCP yesterday, told office person that I always got vaccines at pharmacies for years, but now that I had a PCP, wanted to come in for senior high-dose. They were out of the high-dose, weren't sure if they would get more this week, said I should go to a... pharmacy! OK, that's my release, I tried!

Called CVS, yup, c'mon in. Nobody else there. After I left, I was a bit concerned if I indeed got the high-dose that I requested, as it did not say it in the name. A few minutes on net proved that what I got, FLUAD QUAD 2020-2021, is indeed a high-dose for age 65 and over. Made by Seqirus, better known outside of the US. It is an adjuvant-boosted vaccine, instead of the four times the antigen level Flu-Zone High Dose.

Somewhere, way back in the beginning of this thread, I think a forum member in Australia mentioned it.

Here is a short easy-reading USA Today article from late last year that's pretty decent, about the 65-and-over boosted Flu shot concept and choices:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-fluzone-high-dose-fluad-65-older/4178418002/

Years ago prior to Shingrix, I inquired about the shingles shot at my local pharmacy as 2 family members then a coworker came down with it. I was told it would be on my dime as I was not old enough for insurance to cover it. I decided to wait the year out. Perhaps that's the issue here?

but the age for Shingrix is 50, ACA requires coverage

We got our flu shots at Kaiser Permanente today along with our eye exams. Gal is a visiting member from Socal and her co-pay was $15. As a local Oregon member mine was $35. Weird. Her monthly payment is zero, mine is $44. Must be because of scale? She is getting her 2nd Shingrix shot on the 25th. We'll be loaded with anti-virals before we head south.

I got poked three times at the doctor’s today. One for the flu shot, another for TDAP, and then a blood draw for lab work. It was annual checkup time and figured it’d be best to do it all at once. Glad it’s done and so far the arms aren’t that sore, but I suspect it’ll be worse tomorrow.

Also got the Tetanus & Flue shot yesterday, one shot in each arm. My arm where the Tetanus shot was given is stiffness feeling. Not any more aches then when I do some physical work.

Also got the Tetanus & Flue shot yesterday, one shot in each arm. My arm where the Tetanus shot was given is stiffness feeling. Not any more aches then when I do some physical work.

The tetanus shot always makes my arm very sore--much more sore than the flu or shingles shot. Wonder why?

^ I would guess symptoms are some what different from person to person. I have been up now for a while now and my arm is back to normal and wouldn't of known I had a shot.

I got my shot last afternoon yesterday so it wasn't to bad for me.

Flu shot yesterday. Pharmacy was empty. On our way home 10 minutes later. Could not have been easier. Ours are free. They allow seniors and those at risk to go two weeks earlier than everyone else. The health authority is expecting a large turnout for them-more so than previous years.

I had my annual physical today. I never get a flu shot but did get one today. No pain at all.

I also got #1 of two shingles shot... that are is a bit sore.

I'm sure it's short term, but in my neck of the woods here in North Jersey there's a shortage of the 65+ flu shot. I called every CVS and Walgreen's in my general area with no success. I was able to get the last one available at a local supermarket pharmacy.
We got our flu shots a few weeks ago but just saw today that the local health department (Michigan) has cancelled a planned flu shot clinic because they don't have vaccine. Said it was a combination of high initial demand and slow re-supply

Last edited:
We got our flu shots a few weeks ago but just saw today that the local health department (Michigan) has cancelled a planned flu shot clinic because they don't have vaccine. Said it was a combination of high initial demand and slow re-supply

Well, I suppose if there is a shortage of toilet paper and a shortage of hand sanitizer, why not a shortage of flu vaccine.... :ROFLMAO: :2funny:

Spouse and I got Fluad quadrivalent with adjuvant vaccine at Safeway. Neither of us experienced any local pain or malaise, fever, etc. Spouse had flu vaccine in 2019. I did not.

I also got the pneumonia PPSV 23 vaccine. Spouse had PCV 13 in December 2019, so was not eligible for the PPSV 23 - requires 12 months in between. I had no local pain, malaise, fever, etc from it, either.

Flu shots this Friday for us. Probably at Publix with the $10 coupon. lol

Got mine today. Not the senior one, the regular one. I walked into my CVS for my scheduled 7:30 am appt, and the pharmacist looked up and said 'we don't have the senior vaccine'. But I've never received that one and didn't want it this year, so it was OK. I also got the Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine 23, so I'm done with those shots.

DW was supposed to go but didn't. She has not been in a store or shop since March 11 and decided today was not the day to start. She also has never received the flu vaccine, so it's a double hurdle for her. But at 7:30 AM the CVS was empty, so I reported that back to her.

I don't typically get a flu shot. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever gotten one before. However, I decided that this year I would. I checked my local clinic and they are already booked until the end of October. We were already going to Costco so decided to see what the process entailed over there. Filled out the form, presented form to the pharmacy, waited 15 minutes for them to process insurance and prescribe the shot, got shot and was done!

I got poked three times at the doctor’s today. One for the flu shot, another for TDAP, and then a blood draw for lab work. It was annual checkup time and figured it’d be best to do it all at once. Glad it’s done and so far the arms aren’t that sore, but I suspect it’ll be worse tomorrow.

You haven't really been poked until your first DRE, but that's for another thread.:(

I don't typically get a flu shot. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever gotten one before. However, I decided that this year I would. I checked my local clinic and they are already booked until the end of October. We were already going to Costco so decided to see what the process entailed over there. Filled out the form, presented form to the pharmacy, waited 15 minutes for them to process insurance and prescribe the shot, got shot and was done!

The herd thanks you very much!:)

I got mine 2 days ago. All pharmacies here were out of the senior, higher dosed vaccine but had the regular quadrivalent. Just turned 65 so after conferring with my twin sister, a recently retired pharmacist, the regular one is the one I got.

Well, since I couldn't find any outdoor flu clinics, I went to my doctor's office. I figure they will sanitize and follow precautions as well as or better than anyone, and I got the first appointment in the morning. My arm's a little sore, but almost 3 hours later and that's the only side effect so far. <fingers crossed>

Just got my flu shot at a local pharmacy.

Usually, I get the shot during my annual checkup but think I'll play hooky this year regarding the checkup.

Same here - just got mine and no pain at all! Just depends on the exact spot the needle pokes at - I have had flu shots in the past that hurt like the Dickens, but this year was great.

I got my flu shot a couple of days ago. Today I mentioned to DW that my right shoulder is a little sore. She said that normally she would be concerned but I got the shot in my left arm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom