Flying First Class

When someone else was paying I was happy to fly up front but when I pay I can be pretty stingy. Now in retirement for sure I fly coach if less than 6 hours. Over that and I might consider it. Last few years before Covid I was flying back and forth to southern Africa two or three times a year and the return flight was 15 hours on the plane - that one I upgrade! When I first started flying there in the the late 80s flying coach wasn't so tough as one often got a row of seats to oneself on a 747.

...When I first started flying there in the the late 80s flying coach wasn't so tough as one often got a row of seats to oneself on a 747.

In the early 2000s, Lufthansa operated non-stop flights Phoenix-Frankfurt. We took a couple of trips using this route, and each had an entire middle row of seats to lay down flat to sleep. It was heaven!

The planes were mostly empty, and of course Lufthansa abandoned the route before too long. Last I looked, they still had non-stop flights Denver-Frankfurt, and perhaps this route was more profitable. I guess these Denver-Frankfurt flights could serve travelers from California better with one more hop.

I flew 1st class to Atlanta once from Seattle. When I was checking in I saw a box on the Delta page that offered an upgrade to 1st class for Premium Economy flyers. The price (one way) was $15. I took the deal.

Alas, no such deal was offered on the return flight.

At the time Delta had just greatly expanded their Seattle presence with an eye towards picking up more flights to Asia. I suspect they were being extra nice to people who used that airport.

As we were boarding a DYKWIA (Do You Know Who I Am?) type of person was angrily hassling the flight attendant trying to get a seat in 1st class. Another guy conveniently mistook his seat assignment (he was sure he paid for 1st class) and got booted out. It was the best pre-flight entertainment I had seen in a long time.

Last edited:
Not true. It depends on the Airline and the route. We have flown JetBlue Mint from LAX to FLL with lie flat seats and personal suites on an Airbus 321. American airlines offers similar seating on their Airbus 321 NEO from LAX to JFK. American Airlines also offers lie flat seats on their domestic 787 and 777 fleet. We have flown from LAX to MIA on a 777 in Business/First class with lie flat seats for $797 return. We have also flown many times on Air Canada's 787 Dreamliner from LAX to YYZ in executive class with lie flat pod seating.

I guess going to/from LAX, you have a better chance of getting on a larger aircraft that serves longer routes, perhaps making a stop on the East Coast before going beyond to Europe.

Here, leaving from Phoenix, it's usually just short-haul aircraft like the B737, particularly going about 1,000 miles to a nearby state. First-class seats on these single-aisle planes are of course better than coach, but with less room and reclining than business seats on the international flights. Most often, it's hello SouthWest.

I have not been on the A321 Neo, which I am sure have nice first-class seats, but don't see the need for lie-flat seats for the short flights that this aircraft serves. I did not know about the JetBlue Mint. That's interesting.

PS. I just looked at jetBlue. They no longer have Mint service from Phoenix to another domestic location. The only foreign destinations are the Caribbean, and London. Tickets to London are not bad at all!

PPS. No, upon further look, that's no jetBlue Mint with the suite. What's going on?

Last edited:
Do you fly first class? I never have, but for our trip in February to Savannah, first class was only $300 more for dh and myself round trip and included 2 free bags. Since dh has to ship through golf clubs and then we will each have a bag, the differential was even less.

We typically fly Southwest, but the flight times didn’t work for us (we are meeting friends).

Will I be spoiled for the future? Is it really not that big of a deal? I didn’t tell dh (typically I book all our travel) because I thought it would be a fun surprise. I’m excited and hope I won’t be disappointed.

We’re flying Delta, if that makes any difference.

I heard a good strategy to do first class on the trips you want to sleep on to be well rested upon arrival.

I don't drink.
I'm very patient...
and I don't mind the company in coach.

If I did, I would fly private with a subscription jet service. Still accumulating and dreaming...when I am at RobbieB wealth I'll consider it though.

First Class means very different things on different routes and airlines [and airplanes too], especially internationally. What is first class on one airline could easily be business class on another. Some deals, like upgrading on Southwest, are absurdly bad. It's good to check what you're getting before you book.

People may not realize that first class in domestic flights is not the same as first class international flights.

For domestic flights on small airplanes, the first-class seats may not be as comfortable as the business seats on twin-aisle long-range aircraft, let alone international first-class seats.

+1
We haven't flown first class but we've flown biz class domestically/trans-border and internationally a few times for work and via loyalty point redemptions. We've also had some luck bidding on a few upgrades. Perhaps we'll one day try to use points for an international first class segment.

We're also becoming more strategic in our flight selection and are willing to choose a more expensive option but with a preferred aircraft (eg 787 Dreamline).

The whole time I was employed, I got business class twice, to Switzerland from NY. On the Company dime. The rest of the stuff was shag it and bag it, you bum. Burn some miles if you want. Oh upgrades not available...good thing I have worthless miles.

Tired of air travel in a big way. If I have to do it...

We aren't so jaded yet, but I know of many people who are and I can sure see the point. @NW-Bound, I was doing similar comparisons on flights from SEA to MAN and LHR. I think we can do the premium economy, DW could handle that.

I fly a lot for my Megacorp. I earn frequent flyer miles and use those to purchase 1st class flights for personal travel. I have also started to pay the difference for 1st class on longer flights. You can't beat the extra room and I find it to be more relaxing when sitting up front.

We're flying into Dublin the end of May on Delta Airways and flying home a couple of weeks later.

The airfare is an unusually low $632 flying in the rear of the plane. The Business Class airfare on the same route is $4002. Most economy airfares to Europe presently are running $1200ish.

Since I'm paying, there's no way I'm going to spend the money flying up front. For the difference in airfares on one trip, I can pay for two entire trips to Europe.

We're flying into Dublin the end of May on Delta Airways and flying home a couple of weeks later.

The airfare is an unusually low $632 flying in the rear of the plane. The Business Class airfare on the same route is $4002. Most economy airfares to Europe presently are running $1200ish.

Since I'm paying, there's no way I'm going to spend the money flying up front. For the difference in airfares on one trip, I can pay for two entire trips to Europe.

That's similar to my thinking as well.

For a flight from Toronto to Tokyo on the economy is around $1,000 whereas the same flight on the business class costs around $6,000. So that is $10,000 more for the two of us. I can think of so many better ways to spend that extra $10,000.

Last edited:
More than first-class seats on international flights, how much are you willing to pay for a suite like this? With your own toilet?

9c79b71e7baafdce0a59aeb72a83b442.jpg

The Emirates A380 even has a shower. No, it's not personal and you have to reserve it. They clean it out meticulously after each use though.

The-shower-in-Emirates-First-Class-on-the-Airbus-A380-01-1024x672.jpg

While working Megacorp paid for business on international flights, that was nice. They even thew me on a Lear because I would get someplace a couple hours early, flew coach on the way back.

Today out of my own pocket I'm not flying coach again it it's over a few hours. If I want to BTD on something this is it. If the world is open next summer we're going to Iceland for a cruise and that's all business class after the first hour hop.

We have been flying first class these days. It's a manner of travel to which I'd like to become accustomed.

In the past we only have when the premium was reasonable. Going forward, we will always fly first class for those overnight flights to Europe, but still coach or premium coach the rest of the time.

I've flown 4 million miles exclusively in First. When I first REd we tried coach from Paris to Boston. NEVER AGAIN!!
As a matter of fact if the carrier doesnt offer First--I'm talking to you Jet Blue (to Florida)-- we find a carrier that does.
Tip: short of your own private jet, there's nothing like First on Singapore Airlines.

Last edited:

+1

On flights over 3 hours I am willing to pay for some extra legroom. That's about as close to business or first class as I am going to get.

I might also pay a few hundred dollars more to get non-stop flights that significantly reduce my transit time.

Most important, if I am going to splurge on a travel experience it will be to get a better located hotel, somewhat bigger room, and generally more convenience at the hotels. After all I spend relatively few hours on a plane compared to the huge amount of time I spend at hotels. A well located hotel can easily save a traveler 1-2 hours a day and a lot of energy.

Would you fly business class if the business class airfare was 6x the economy? That's the dilemma I have with flying from Toronto to Tokyo ($1,000 vs $6,000)... If it was double the cost, I would do business, but 6x?? Hard to justify...

As for the OP's question, I would take first-class in a heartbeat.

Business Class to Tokyo at $6K sounds better than my recent checks of flights to Munich or Frankfurt which are close to $8K (CDN). Ouch! I agree that it is tough to justify for 2 people. I may just have to wait for business class seat sales. I spent my last 3 years of working life doing biweekly trips to Europe in economy - not going back to those days now!:D

For a flight from Toronto to Tokyo on the economy is around $1,000 whereas the same flight on the business class costs around $6,000. So that is $10,000 more for the two of us. I can think of so many better ways to spend that extra $10,000.

On my last return from Tokyo (Narita to DFW, a full 12 hours)... we were coach, having the two window seats. It was an evening flight, leaving Tokyo around 6pm, arriving in dallas the same time of course. Then a connection home to MIA and a drive home, we arrived about Midnight after 18 hours of travel.

For the long flight, right across the narrow aisle, the first two seats were occupied by a couple with a toddler who, by my estimation, was big enough for his own seat, but spent the flight back and forth between both parents laps. Screaming most of the time.

In retrospect, yes, it would have been worth the extra $10k.

I am kind of done with flying, maybe only in emergency.

$15k for a first class flight? That kind of money can get you a month rental on a mansion with an infinity pool ocean front in a lot of places that I can just drive to.

15 hours being groped, crammed into a tin tube, fed sort of good food on real china but still nothing like the experience of going to a star rated restaurant.

or

a month lounging in a pool by the ocean

We started flying Domestic first class at retirement. Our "retirement trip" was so enjoyable, we decided that was what we would do from now on. Even if we have to fly less often to stay on budget, we arrive refreshed, relaxed.
We have not flown international first class, but have no trips planned outside the US at this time.

For the difference in airfares on one trip, I can pay for two entire trips to Europe.

Why not have two trips to Europe and get there in the comfort of First? It doesn't have to be one or the other.

YOLO and as noted above, if you don't spend it your heirs will.

Last edited:
DW and I flew twice, in 2021, both times to Florida from NJ. I didn't want to feel surrounded by as many exhaling people, so we went First Class. We'll never go back to coach, even if (when?) we ever get to take our COVID-deferred trip to Europe.
Worth the extra $$, and perfect case of BTD.

I mean, you can pretty much justify any expense as long as you have the money and desire. I can't even fault someone for booking a ticket on a SpaceX flight to the ISS if they have the extra cash.

Back
Top Bottom