Forced Ranking in the Workplace

W Edwards Demming (TQM) argued correctly that performance appraisal is cardinal among the seven deadly sins of management.

My mega hired Dr Demming to overhaul our mgt systems and conduct seminars for all employees. It was salvation from a quality quagmire we were stuck in. In about 15 yrs the mgt lessons wore off but quality has not slipped (yet). Fortunately it was time for me to leave.

When I had direct reports they were generally rejects from other groups. I was able to figure out whatever they were good at and they were all solid contributors and responsive to my management style. I sometimes had to rank individuals but without saying they did not meet expectations. The implications of a lower ranking were obvious but management frequently overrode me rankings for raises anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My mega hired Dr Demming.........
MegaMotors hired him to give some seminars, but they picked and chose which parts of his advice to take. They stuck with performance reviews, but did heed some of the quality improving techniques that he preached. I was impressed by Deming. He stood for over an hour when I heard him speak and he was in his 90's.

Channeling Machiavelli:
• employee ranking dispenses with the silly notion that an employee's performance review should have anything to do with what they actually accomplish during the review period. Instead, the performance review becomes a beauty contest where the goal is to impress as many of the judges as possible, which often involves ego-stroking and ass-kissing unrelated to actually doing any useful work.
• thriving within a company that uses employee ranking for performance reviews requires a considerable degree of social intelligence. Think about it: you need to outwardly appear endlessly helpful and self-sacrificing to your colleagues while actually identifying and seizing every opportunity to make them fail at their jobs, so you look good in comparison. Wouldn't any high quality company want to promote employees capable of successfully playing this game?
• every sensible person agrees that managers in general (and C-suite executives in particular) are horribly overworked and underpaid. The beauty of employee ranking is that managers are not burdened with the time-consuming and unpleasant job of defining tasks for each direct report such that the result of their collective efforts will be a net benefit for the company.
• it's true that if layoffs are scheduled in a department, managers will need to rank the employees from high to low and dispose of the low-ranked employees. The beauty of employee ranking as a standard performance review technique is that it institutionalizes a layoff-is-around-the-corner atmosphere and thus keeps employees right where you want them if you are a high quality manager: beaten-down, cowed, and terrified of losing their jobs. What good is having power if you don't use it (or threaten to use it)?

Full disclosure: I spent the last four years of my professional career working for a large American war contractor that used employee ranking. It was hilarious how the company HR department would continually spout nonsense about 'teamwork' while employing a performance review system that promoted anything but. The amount of backstabbing among my fellow employees as they tried to win the annual beauty contest was remarkable.

Last edited:
I had to DO IT to subordinates and have it DONE TO me by mgmt.

In the beginning, we had a very fair system. There was a "pot" of money to be split up within each grouping of employees. Sitting in a room with my peers, we spent 4 or 5 hours, sifting and justifying our report's positions on a chart. ALL could have been rated at the top or at the bottom because it was just how we doled out the raises. SO folks were very conscientious in providing feed back and we ended up with a very fair (and I think accurate) distribution.

A couple of years later we went to the "curve" system described by OP. It was unfair and it ended up creating a much worse atmosphere at w*rk. This was the beginning of the end for me. The Megacorp I used to enjoy coming to in the AM became just another money grubbing, penny pinching, grind the empale*yees into the dirt company. When the final straw was heaped upon me, I was out at the end of the week (notice included my unused vacation time.) I hate "one size fits all" schemes like the "curve" as we came to call it. YMMV

Thanks for all of the comments and insight. After years and years of annual layoffs, all of the dead wood is long gone. Having to choose good solid performers to take their "turn" being "below expectations" is just wrong.

Anyway when you are FI you can choose to aggressively stand your ground and justify with documented accomplishments why the group meets and exceeds expectations and not worry about retribution. This is what I did again this year and it worked.

The forced ranking certainly leads to less of a team environment and more individuals taking credit for whatever they can at someone else's expense.

Anyway, its all done for another year, glad I stood my ground, supported good people and I just may pull the plug before the same time next year. Sure feels nice to be FI and have choices.

Today's Dilbert:

49435c1061770134c40c005056a9545d

49435c1061770134c40c005056a9545d

I have to admit that over the last few years I have been a one man protest - refusing to complete a scorecard and jump through all the hoops that the modern day megacorp seems to want.

The ridiculous thing was it used to be called a "balanced" scorecard because it contained the opportunity to give up some things in order to focus on the things the organization needed / wanted. But recently the "balanced" piece got dropped.

I started my protest when one year I was rated a 3 ("meet") when clearly i had exceeded all my goals. When I met with my boss he said that he would have rated me a 4 but couldn't because of the bell curve. I made myself very unpopular by launching a formal appeal at the end of which I received my 4 rating......but no salary adjustment. Now ...at age 52 i think they have given up trying to push me (and I still get my 4 rating).

Sometimes you've just got to be a human.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom