Forced to check carry on, no more room in overhead

I believe that this is a problem of an airline's own making.

We continue to be amazed at what many North American carriers allow customers to bring on board as carry on.

We seldom see this problem. on any European, Asian, or Australian regional airlines.

These airlines actually enforce their carry on restrictions. A few years ago we were beside two women in Venice Airport at the Lufthansa counter. They were in a state of shock because the they did could make it past the check in counter. They kept on saying that the shopkeeper told them they could board with two big bags of loosely wrapped glassware. They were given two choices...neither of which seemed to appeal to them.

Last time we flew through Brisbane our carry on got checked for size and for weight at check-in and again for weight in the boarding area. In Kuala Lumper Air Asia did the same just prior to going through security into their gate area. The sent some people back to the check in counters to check oversize/overweight bags.

Imagine if this process was followed by carriers operating in entitled North America!

Last edited:
Way back in time when the overheads started to fill up they would offer to gate check your bags for no additional costs. Do anyone know if this still happens?
Yes, gate check is generally free and some folks may carry on for this very reason. But not for Basic Economy. Basic Economy folks don’t get to use overhead bin space regardless. It must go under the seat in front of them.

Overhead Bin Space Anxiety is one of my top reasons for wanting (needing?) to get on the plane first. For the longest time, it was making sure I had the right status (so only fly one airline), and later it was just making sure I was sitting on the proper side of the curtain.

Slightly off topic, but I was in London on my way to the US. The gate agents were being very picky about what qualified as carry on - in fact, they had one of those bag sizers near the gate. One gentleman insisted that his bag would fit and that he should be allowed to carry on. To demonstrate, he successfully stuffed his bag into the sizer, showing clearly that his bag was allowed to be carried on. The amusing part was the next 15 minutes before boarding as he tried to wrestle his bag out of the bag sizer. Picture a grown man, on the ground, sweating profusely, both feet on the side of the sizer, pulling with all his might to dislodge his bag.

You're not allowed to check things with big batteries, like laptops... so just insist that your laptop is in your carryon so it can't be checked.

wouldn't they just ask you to remove the laptop from the carryon? I have a reserve battery charger. i will try this approach if they ask me to check my carryon and see if it works.

wouldn't they just ask you to remove the laptop from the carryon? I have a reserve battery charger. i will try this approach if they ask me to check my carryon and see if it works.

I'm not sure... I just know you aren't allowed to have laptops or spare batteries, or battery bricks (for recharging devices) in your checked bags. Probably wouldn't work if you clearly can move all the battery stuff from your carryon to a backpack or other under-seat item.

Question for the forum, would this annoy you?

Wife and I are flying United the other day, EWR to MIA, purchased aisle seats, row 10, premier economy or whatever they call it...point being, the tickets cost more than basic economy, and for the difference in price, you get to pick your seat, a seat with more legroom, and, a carry on. We travel light so we can hit the ground running.

Wait for our boarding group to be called, and get put in a separate line, everyone ahead of us (about 10 people) are getting their bags checked. There is no more room in the overheads.

Now, I get they board the plane in certain order for efficiency, however, you can bypass that process by paying extra, again, for preferred boarding. The whole thing just annoys me.

The icing on the cake, get to our seats, and the overhead has room for our bags.

Wow, I fly United a lot, and this has never happened to me. Of course, a lot of other strange things have happened to us when flying United through EWR, so maybe it is something about that airport :).

It is strange, since, in my experience, premium economy is usually in the 2nd boarding group, well before the majority of folks have gotten on. In my experience with United, usually only the last 2 groups (4 or 5) is when they tell folks they have to gate check.

It would annoy, but my approach has been to not make a fuss at the time, but document the situation and contact United Customer Care. At least with this process I have received monetary reimbursement for the issues I have raised.

When our bags have been gate checked, it has been on regional flights with smaller jets, whose bins are much smaller. I understand that, and at least we can get our bags right outside the plane when we arrive.

But I also agree that in the U.S. carryon rules are not well enforced. Though the "standard" is "one in the overhead, one under your seat", I have seen people boarding with 2 carryons that they put in the overhead... and at times also put a backpack in the overhead that should really go under the seat.

Our luggage is well decorated including pompoms.

Yes Pom Poms would have been great . She now has a big orange fluorescent Tape X on her bag. ..

We place large ugly fluorescent green straps around our bags. We also tied brightly colored cloth material around the handles. The bags might be arrested and convicted by the Luggage Fashion Police for ugliness, but we can deal with that :).

It seems to me, that you simply misunderstood the need/request to check bags. Did they actually tell you, you must check your bag :confused:

I purposefully bring a carry on bag, to contain stuff I don't want stolen by the baggage handlers, like laptop, pills, spare camera, etc.. so I'd be very reluctant to check my bag.
Yes. It wasn't a request and there wasn't any discussion, it was check my (our) carry on, or wait for the next plane.

It is strange, since, in my experience, premium economy is usually in the 2nd boarding group, well before the majority of folks have gotten on. In my experience with United, usually only the last 2 groups (4 or 5) is when they tell folks they have to gate check.
I've learned they set the boarding groups based on the seat. Window seats get boarding group 1 or 2, middle get 2 or 3 and aisle seats get 3 or 4. We were seat 10, seats c & d (both aisle), boarding group 4.

The only way you get an aisle seat in row 10 is to pay extra.

I've learned they set the boarding groups based on the seat. Window seats get boarding group 1 or 2, middle get 2 or 3 and aisle seats get 3 or 4. We were seat 10, seats c & d (both aisle), boarding group 4.

I see. I have United Mileage Plus status, and that gets us into boarding group 2 (or earlier) regardless of where we sit, as I always book an aisle seat.

I can remember when airlines boarded people back to front for (in their view) efficiency. The problem then was many people in the back would put their carryons in the bins towards the front as they did not want to bring them to the back of the plane, forcing the later boarders in the front to have their bags put further back in the plane (or gate checked), so de-boarding could result in mayhem.

That is not how United boards their planes in my experience. There is pre-board, then active military and very high status United customers like Global Services and 1K. Then Group 1 which is first/business class and a few more high status customers or who have bought premier access or have a United Club card. Then Group 2 which is United customers with at least silver status or a United Mileage card. Finally groups 3 4 and 5 are back of the plane and perhaps by seat position, don’t know. Although I thought last group was basic economy which has no access to overhead bins.

I flew as recently as late June and they were still boarding this way. This article from July 31 says the same. I guess if you don’t have at least Silver Status or a United Mileage card you board with groups 3-5 even for economy plus. I always had a United credit card. https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/airlines/united-airlines-boarding-groups/

Last edited:
Makes me glad that I flew so much during my career and earned lifetime Gold status on United. It was hard on the family when the kids were younger, but paying off in retirement.

I do see this happen a lot and always try and get to the gate at least 15 minutes before boarding.

This has happened to me a few times. What I do now is let them put the tag on my bag, but then I do not drop it off at the end of the jetway. I first walk into the plane and look down the aisle to see how much overhead space there is. If it looks like there's room, I just keep going. If everything is full, then I go back and leave my bag with the others.

The worst case I've seen was a United flight from LAX to Maui last October. They were begging people to check their bags, but when we boarded, the plane was over half empty and every passenger pretty much had a row and an overhead to themselves. It was the emptiest plane I've been on in years! The flight attendant told us that a bunch of flights from the east coast were delayed the night before and he thought people had missed connections, but it's hard to believe the gate agents couldn't have figured that out.

So for future reference, paying up for economy plus which does gives you more leg room and gets you closer to the front of the plane, but doesn’t give you earlier boarding privileges which might help with not having to check carry-on bags.

Last edited:
We place large ugly fluorescent green straps around our bags. We also tied brightly colored cloth material around the handles. The bags might be arrested and convicted by the Luggage Fashion Police for ugliness, but we can deal with that :).

Our checked case is purple and our hard-side carry-on, that we pack in anticipation of it being gate-checked, is orange. I can spot our bags from 100 yards. Could care less what anyone else thinks of the colors! DW loves purple and I love orange :dance:

Laptops, toothbrush, and medications go in 'under the seat in front of you'-sized 'personal item' backpacks. Any liquids go in the checked bag to avoid the 3oz BS. If it's a short trip we share the smaller orange on and check it. We travel light :cool:

At one time I had no issue helping someone lift a heavy carry on into the overhead bin.

I won't do it anymore despite the occasional 'help me' or 'helpless' look.

Why should I do it and risk another injury to my back for someone who has an overpacked, oversized bag, heavy bag. If they cannot handle it, if it takes them two hands to carry it down the aisle then why expect someone else to lift it up for them?

I feel sorry for the cabin crew when they have to assist with heavy bags on occasion in order to get the bags stowed and the bins closed.

We limit our carry ons to 7-9KG (16-18lbs). Not just because that is the limit on many airlines we fly but because neither of us can physically handle any more safely or comfortably.

That physical limitation is one of the reasons we switched to carry on. We do not want to depend on anyone to help us or expect anyone to help us with our bags during our travels. Not only on air. Even more so on rail, ferry, and bus.

Last edited:
I’ve only traveled by air once since retirement. Since the Unindicted Co-Conspirator really hates to fly, I sprung for first class. I was greeted at the jetway with an “I’m sorry, but there’s no room for carryons, you’ll have to check them.” Then they looked at our boarding passes, apologized, and ushered our carryons and us to our seats.

Was it worth it? Oh, yeah!

Hard sided bags are just asking for it these days. I only carry soft bags, generally ignore the request to check the bag. I have never been called on that. There's always room somewhere to stuff it. Even on small planes where everyone has to check their hard sided bags I just smile, walk on, and shove mine in the overhead.

That would really annoy me as having dedicated overhead space for carry on is usually listed as one of the perks of Premium Economy.

Before we moved EWR was my home airport. I hate United and only fly it if no other choice. I consider not having to fly United a benefit of moving.

I was flying my 4-yo grandson out from Maryland to California last July on United. As usual they asked for passengers to check carry-ons at the gate. We each checked our soft carry-ons to go along with a stroller and one checked bag. After boarding, but before takeoff, the captain announced that some "cargo" would have to be taken off the plane for weight-and-balance reasons. When we got to SFO (at 1am) we found that all of our bags except the stroller were part of that removed cargo. It took an hour to wait in line and fill out the paperwork for lost bags. Our grandson had only the pajamas on his back for our two-week trip to the Sierras the next day. We bought him some new clothes the next morning, and took off on our trip. Three days later our bags were delivered to our cabin 300 miles from SFO! We were way up on a snowy ridge hiking that day, and somehow I had Verizon service there. The delivery service called and asked where we wanted them to leave the bags on the deck! I was shocked that they would deliver the bags that far from the airport!

Shows what can happen if you check all your bags.

The whole mess started when airlines started charging crazy rates for checked bags. Nobody wants to pay so everyone carries on. Personally I just check the bag so I don't have to schlep it around the airport. I think I've only lost one bag over the years and I traveled quit a bit before I retired.

Since retiring 12 years ago we have done far more flights on airlines in SE Asia, Australia, and Europe than we have in North America.

We very seldom see this issue outside of North America. These airlines also charge for checked bags BUT they also enforce both size and weight restrictions on checked bags.

In Australia, going for Brisbane-Hobart we paid more to increase the allowable weight of our carry on from 7-9KG. The cost exceeded the cost of checking the bag. The 7KG limit was not just for carry on, it included the weight of anything else, ie a purse. Not only that, but Jetstar would not guarantee the extra weight unless it was purchased when you bought the ticket. The strictly limit the size and weight.

We found the same on Air Asia, Jetstar, Thai Smile, Noc etc in SE Asia. On Vueling, Air Malta, Olympic, easyJet etc in Europe.

The difference is that all the carriers in those regions seen to actually enforce their rules. For cabin staff safety, for passenger safety, and for revenue generating reasons.

Last edited:
Since retiring 12 years ago we have done far more flights on airlines in SE Asia, Australia, and Europe than we have in North America.

We very seldom see this issue outside of North America. These airlines also charge for checked bags BUT they also enforce both size and weight restrictions on checked bags.

We found the same on Air Asia, Jetstar, Thai Smile, Noc etc in SE Asia. On Vueling, Air Malta, Olympic, easyJet etc in Europe.

The difference is that all the carriers in those regions seen to actually enforce their rules. For cabin staff safety, for passenger safety, and for revenue generating reasons.

I personally think they should weigh passengers with luggage, and we could just pay by the pound.
It would give me more incentive to lose some weigh :LOL:

The whole mess started when airlines started charging crazy rates for checked bags. Nobody wants to pay so everyone carries on.

+1
I find it more of an issue for domestic and transborder flights versus international flights.

The type of aircraft also partially influences my flight selection because certain/newer planes have larger bins.
But happy to have credit cards that give us zone 2 boarding to get first dibs on the overhead bins.

Back
Top Bottom