Formatting New M.2 SSD

zl55lz

Recycles dryer sheets
I know I am probably missing the obvious, but as I don't know a lot about this, I was hoping some computer experts could help.

1) I somehow got through loading Windows onto a brand new blank M.2 2280 SSD. I read that the SSD apparently needs to be "formatted" to prep it. I'm not sure if this is done before loading Windows or after.

If I put a new blank SSD in a pc, there is no way to get to where I need to format it (disk management or whatever). If I put the SSD in the pc with Windows already on it, it states I cannot format from the same pc I am on or something to that effect.

Can someone explain the correct process step by step?

2) I also tried swapping a new SSD with a valid Windows install on it into a different pc. It works but when I drill down in Device Manager (?) it states there are some unrecognized things. Are there more steps to take or is swapping an SSD not possible? I do know a little about going into the UEFI to adjust/save things if that is needed.

3) So then, is the best way to upgrade an SSD to put a new blank one in the pc, format it, then load Windows to it, and does that format it automatically during the process?

Hope I explained this correctly. Thanks for any help.

If you have Windows loaded on it, then it's already been formatted. You would not be able to see or access anything on the drive if it were not already formatted.

We can get more technical, but there's no need to.

Do not attempt to format the drive, you will erase everything from it.

You've got Windows loaded on it, make it the boot drive and enjoy.

2) I also tried swapping a new SSD with a valid Windows install on it into a different pc. It works but when I drill down in Device Manager (?) it states there are some unrecognized things. Are there more steps to take or is swapping an SSD not possible? I do know a little about going into the UEFI to adjust/save things if that is needed.
This would not be unexpected as the two computers likely have somewhat different configurations. If you plan on keeping the SSD in the computer you transplanted it into, then delete those things showing Unknown in Device Manager and reboot - it will find and attempt to load drivers for anything it doesn't know about. If it still shows Unknown, then you'll need to check the properties of those devices, locate drivers online, and manually install. However, if the machine is working, you may as well just go with it unless something important doesn't work.

3) So then, is the best way to upgrade an SSD to put a new blank one in the pc, format it, then load Windows to it, and does that format it automatically during the process?

The latter. Installing a fresh copy of Windows will format as part of the process.

When I upgrade a hard disk to SSD, I use Clonezilla or Macrium Reflect for cloning. Both are free and work well.

Last edited:
There are many ways to skin this cat so the first order of business is to determine how you intend to load your new version of Windows. I find it easiest to create a bootable USB device and load the Windows installer on it either via the Microsoft Media Creation tool or by using a program such as Balena Etcher to load a Windows ISO file. You just install your new SSD and then boot up the USB device and follow the instructions for a normal Windows installation. It will format and partition the new SSD as needed.

Here's a link to a youtube video on the procedure. Also included are instructions on how to make your computer boot from your USB flash drive to make the magic happen.

I used to work for a company that made M.2 SSDs. @njhowie's answer is correct. The Windows install process formats the drive as one of the first parts of the install.

I have no idea why you can't format a new SSD. If you put it into an existing Windows system you should be able to somehow. But as @njhowie points out, you don't need to and should not do so at this point, so it's now just an academic curiosity.

I just replaced the 256gb M.2 2280 with a 2Tb in my New Lenovo X1 Carbon, saving me $700 over what Lenovo wanted for it. I have done that for years when I purchase a new laptop. I even got a faster SSD than Lenovo would provide. I used Macrium Reflect 8 to Clone it, then windows tools to create and format the rest of the space. YouTube is full of info on how to do it.

We have a lot of smart computer experts on here but I am not one of them.
I am also interested in cloning my hard drive to speed up my old PC so I'm following this thread.

I have switched all of my laptops and desktops to SSD boot drives and used Disk Genius, (FREE), to clone the old hard disks to the new SSD's. :dance:

I just upgraded my M.2 SSD, larger storage. I went with a Crucial SSD. They provide software that you download and will clone your existing SSD. In addition it will expand the partition automatically after cloning so you have access to the full capacity of the new SSD. To do this purchase an external M.2 enclose. I used this one: https://a.co/d/9XbNwGW

Install new SSD in enclosure, plug into your PC, run the Crucial clone program. When finished remove the SSD from enclosure and install in your PC. Power up your PC and you are done.

BTW, other manufacturers will provide cloning software, search to find out if they do or don't. I know Samsung does as well. You can also find software to clone for free, just do a search.

I hope that helps.

Talk about synchronicty. I got frustrated and bored trying to figure out whether I could upgrade my HP Pavillion all-in-one to an SSD boot. So I came back here to see what's up and this is. :)

I just upgraded my M.2 SSD, larger storage. I went with a Crucial SSD. They provide software that you download and will clone your existing SSD. In addition it will expand the partition automatically after cloning so you have access to the full capacity of the new SSD. To do this purchase an external M.2 enclose. I used this one: https://a.co/d/9XbNwGW

Install new SSD in enclosure, plug into your PC, run the Crucial clone program. When finished remove the SSD from enclosure and install in your PC. Power up your PC and you are done.

BTW, other manufacturers will provide cloning software, search to find out if they do or don't. I know Samsung does as well. You can also find software to clone for free, just do a search.

I hope that helps.

With this thing could I also put a new ssd in it, plug into my pc, and download Windows directly from the Media Creation tool site, bypassing using/creating a bootable USB or DVD? Seems easier and more direct since the pc would already have a working ssd too?

I hope that helps.

There's no technical reason to use an external enclosure AFAIK, and I would be surprised if Crucial's tool required it.

You should be able to just plug the drive into an internal slot, clone it over, then remove the old drive.

I am also interested in cloning my hard drive to speed up my old PC so I'm following this thread.

When you clone yours, you won't have to format it anything, as the cloning will take care of it all.

Just be absolutely sure you know which disk is the old one, and which is the new one. Plus backup your data before you do it for safety.

There's no technical reason to use an external enclosure AFAIK, and I would be surprised if Crucial's tool required it.

You should be able to just plug the drive into an internal slot, clone it over, then remove the old drive.

I don't think very many PCs these days have multiple M.2 SSD slots. The vast majority of laptops and low/mid-range desktops just have one. Even worse, when I got my new desktop a few years ago, I was shocked to see that it had only one measly PCI expansion slot. I would guess this is due to the ease and popularity of USB peripherals, which is "good enough" for most users.

This is a bit of a hijack, but I am ultimately on my way to figuring out if I can install an SSD card. In the meantime, I have never explored peripherals since I had no need until my recent foray into astrophotography. Now I am looking at external storage. I found a comprehensive 3rd party technical document and discovered low and behold that I supposedly have a USB C port and two USB 3.2 ports. I discovered a couple of ports on the bottom, one of which (photo 1) might be USB-C and the second (photo 2) is USB-3.2? Or maybe a storm trooper port? (SS and lightning flash).

I don't have any USB C devices to plug into my port to test it but I do have a cord that I thought was a USB-C to USB-A cord. Unfortunately it will not go into the port on my PC and is tapered a bit (photo 3), whereas the PC port is an even oval. That #3 small end does have a USB logo on it's side. Can anyone help me sort out what these three things are?

Attachments

• IMG_6747.JPG
    IMG_6747.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6749.JPG
    IMG_6749.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6752.JPG
    IMG_6752.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Can anyone help me sort out what these three things are?

Your guesses were correct. The one on the left is USB-C and the one on the right (middle) is USB 3.2 Gen 1 aka "SuperSpeed" SS. The white cable looks as if it could be HDMI, but the photo you posted is a bit blurry and I can't make it out too clearly. It doesn't appear to be a USB variant, from what I can see.

Last edited:
I don't think very many PCs these days have multiple M.2 SSD slots. The vast majority of laptops and low/mid-range desktops just have one. Even worse, when I got my new desktop a few years ago, I was shocked to see that it had only one measly PCI expansion slot. I would guess this is due to the ease and popularity of USB peripherals, which is "good enough" for most users.

Right. I assumed that the poster was upgrading from something else to M.2. A closer reading reveals they were probably upgrading from M.2 to M.2.

I think the PCI connectors may be expensive for board manufacturers. There are certainly ones out there with more than one, but you might have to pay more.

I don't have any USB C devices to plug into my port to test it but I do have a cord that I thought was a USB-C to USB-A cord. Unfortunately it will not go into the port on my PC and is tapered a bit (photo 3), whereas the PC port is an even oval. That #3 small end does have a USB logo on it's side. Can anyone help me sort out what these three things are?

The white cord on the right is some sort of micro or mini B cable. You can compare it to the picture and measurements here to figure out exactly which one it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#/media/File:Usb_connectors.JPG

Your guesses were correct. The one on the left is USB-C and the one on the right (middle) is USB 3.2 Gen 1 aka "SuperSpeed" SS. The white cable looks as if it could be HDMI, but the photo you posted is a bit blurry and I can't make it out too clearly. It doesn't appear to be a USB variant, from what I can see.

The white cord on the right is some sort of micro or mini B cable. You can compare it to the picture and measurements here to figure out exactly which one it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#/media/File:Usb_connectors.JPG
Wow. When you don't do much with this stuff it quickly becomes a confusing menagerie if you need to look into it. If I want external storage it would seem prudent to use USB-C. So I guess I would order the storage a C hub and any cables I need. Not sure what to do with the storm trooper port.

How you going to clone your existing drive? That was the steps I had outlined. [emoji41]

Last edited:
How you going to clone your existing drive? That was the steps I had outlined. [emoji41]

Sigh.

Motherboards have numerous ports suitable for hard drives of various types to be plugged in. The number and type of ports depends on the specific motherboard. Laptops typically have fewer; desktop PCs typically have more.

Most if not all cloning programs can clone from any type of hard drive to any type of hard drive. As long as a drive is plugged into a suitable port, the cloning software should be able to see it and clone to/from it.

As long as a motherboard has two ports suitable for the origin drive and target drive, there is no need to waste time and money on an external enclosure.

In your case, it sounds like you may have had two M.2 drives and only one M.2 port on your motherboard. In that scenario and similar ones, yes, an external enclosure would be required.

When you clone yours, you won't have to format it anything, as the cloning will take care of it all.

Just be absolutely sure you know which disk is the old one, and which is the new one. Plus backup your data before you do it for safety.
Just to clarify I would need to buy a 1TB SSD drive, a SATA to USB cable for the transfer and cloning software if not included with the SSD.
Are they standard size? Will I need to buy an enclosure?
I was looking at Crucial, Samsung and PNY are they all decent brands? I think Crucial comes with software, not sure about the others or is there a specific software that you recommend?
Also can anyone recommend a good video from youtube to follow. I've watched a few and mixed reviews in the comments, some people had problems, others thought it was super simple.
I'm no expert but I can follow good instructions and was the unpaid IT troubleshooter for my office conferencing in with Cisco and Corporate techs when needed.

Just to clarify I would need to buy a 1TB SSD drive, a SATA to USB cable for the transfer and cloning software if not included with the SSD.
Are they standard size? Will I need to buy an enclosure?
I was looking at Crucial, Samsung and PNY are they all decent brands? I think Crucial comes with software, not sure about the others or is there a specific software that you recommend?
Also can anyone recommend a good video from youtube to follow. I've watched a few and mixed reviews in the comments, some people had problems, others thought it was super simple.
I'm no expert but I can follow good instructions and was the unpaid IT troubleshooter for my office conferencing in with Cisco and Corporate techs when needed.

Not who you asked, but:

Usually you'll want to buy an SSD that is at least as large as the drive you're upgrading from. 1TB is a good size these days, but some people might have 2TB or larger existing drives.

SSDs come in a variety of form factors. There are various form factors that come with an M.2 connector, and others that come with a standard SATA connector. The former are smaller and more likely to be in a notebook or laptop; the latter are more common in desktop systems. A motherboard could have both.

No such thing as a SATA to USB cable. Although an external enclosure that accepts a SATA drive and plugs into a USB port is, from a user point of view, essentially the same thing.

Whether you need an enclosure or not depends on if you have a spare port on your motherboard. Most desktop motherboards will have a spare SATA port.
To confirm just take off your case and look. (You can google to see what SATA ports look like - there might be SATA ports directly on your motherboard and/or you might have SATA cables hanging off your motherboard already.)

You can either clone or reinstall Windows, depending on your preference. If you clone, there are free cloning software packages out there that work just fine.

In the SSD space, Crucial and Samsung are good (arguably the two best) brands, Intel is also a very good brand. I don't like PNY as a brand so I would stay away from them.

Crucial and Samsung both come with cloning software I think. Intel probably does too. You can just download free cloning software too.

As far as instructions to follow, I would follow the instructions from the SSD manufacturer first. I think Crucial actually has a user support community where you can ask questions as well; don't know about Samsung.

Last edited:
Sigh.

Motherboards have numerous ports suitable for hard drives of various types to be plugged in. The number and type of ports depends on the specific motherboard. Laptops typically have fewer; desktop PCs typically have more.

Most if not all cloning programs can clone from any type of hard drive to any type of hard drive. As long as a drive is plugged into a suitable port, the cloning software should be able to see it and clone to/from it.

As long as a motherboard has two ports suitable for the origin drive and target drive, there is no need to waste time and money on an external enclosure.

In your case, it sounds like you may have had two M.2 drives and only one M.2 port on your motherboard. In that scenario and similar ones, yes, an external enclosure would be required.

Sigh.... I clearly stated I upgraded my M.2 SSD, larger storage. So it didn't sound like I had two M.2 drives, that's what I said.

Sigh.... I clearly stated I upgraded my M.2 SSD, larger storage. So it didn't sound like I had two M.2 drives, that's what I said.

Yes, you said that part, which I conceded I had missed in post #17 on this thread.

But my entire sentence included "and only one M.2 port on your motherboard". That part you didn't state, and it's relevant to whether or not an enclosure is needed. Which is why I wrote my sentence the way I did.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread; you can have the last word.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom