Four Tendencies Quiz

Questioner. "If they decide there’s sufficient basis for an expectation, they’ll follow it; they won’t follow it if they think it’s arbitrary, inefficient, or ineffective. They tend to take direction only from people they respect" (or fear)

I don't want to know desperately enough to lie about my email address. OK, that is not a BIG lie and I guess many people have no problem doing that, but gee whiz, gimme a break. It's just not worth it. If they want me to answer they will have to stop asking me to play pretend like that.

:angel:

I am a Questioner/Upholder. If you read the book most people in one of the 4 tendencies will lean a bit toward to one of the two tendencies "touching" it. I am definitely a Questioner, but lean toward the Upholder side. It doesn't take much questioning for me to decide to uphold external expectations.

I have found the 4 tendencies to be helpful to me in a lot of ways. I first learned about them in Gretchen Rubin's prior book, Better Than Before, which deals with habit formation (and is my favorite book of hers). The book on The Four Tendencies has been helpful in telling me how to deal with the people in my life who are not Questioners (my son is a clear Rebel) and DH is an Obliger/Upholder.

It is not comparable really to things like Meyers Briggs. It is not trying to fully explain personality just whether someone responds more to external expectations or internal expectations.

I don't want to know desperately enough to lie about my email address. OK, that is not a BIG lie and I guess many people have no problem doing that, but gee whiz, gimme a break. It's just not worth it. If they want me to answer they will have to stop asking me to play pretend like that.

:angel:

That's OK W2R. Besides I think you are a pretty clear Questioner. If you read the book, you can take the quiz in the book FWIW.

Reactions: W2R
After I've Questioned something to death and decided it is worthwhile, I then Uphold it to death. The word an insightful supervisor used to describe me, early on, was "dogged." A word which always makes me think of a dog who has your T-shirt, and doesn't want to give it back.

Questioner here. I used a fake email address because that is what I thought was best. :)

Asks for your email address. No spanks.

+1 I will not give someone I do not know my email.... they should have shown the results without it... OR, made me give it to them at the beginning so I did not have to waste time with the questions...

Upholder here - gave my email address because I'm just not that important and many have it anyway.

When working, megacorp got all enthralled with Gallup and we had to take a test to see what our top traits were. On this test, I’m not sure which of the four I would be because I didn’t take it because I don’t like being classified. I’m not “type A” and I don’t like being told that the reason I’m an ******* is because my relationship with my mother. Actually, it was my dad :) but that’s another thread. Thanks, but I’ll pass.

Last edited:
Asks for your email address. No spanks.

Ditto.
Absolutely zero reason they need my e-mail address in order to provide the results. I'm sure that action puts me in one of those categories, but I don't know which one.

My "tendency" was to be PO'd to be asked for my email address after taking their stupid quiz, but before providing the results! :mad:

+1, but did read it here first and didn't do the quiz.

I took the quiz and provided an email, but opted out of all of the follow-up emails. Lo and behold, ended up with a follow up email this morning. Nuts.

That said, I think the concepts are interesting and I can see it being useful to understand how to motivate people around me.

Back
Top Bottom