Four Years ER Today!

Happy Anniversary, scrabbler1 !!! Do you celebrate the date in any way?

Thank you to those who replied.

Redduck, I don't anything specific to celebrate my ER other than announce it here LOL!

KingB, I have hobbies and volunteer work in my ER, most of which I began 7 years before I ERed when I started working part-time. For example, I just began my 13th year in the national school Scrabble program, visiting a middle school yesterday to give a seminar in preparation for a 4-school tourney next month.

One thing I like about the end of the month is that it is my personal payday. That is, I receive my monthly dividends from various investments which I use to pay my upcoming expenses. It is nice getting a "paycheck" without having to go to work every day or even part-time to get it.

Today marks my 6 years of being retired. And it is the first time that October 31st has fallen on a Friday, just like it did in 2008.

Sadly, my ladyfriend is not here in NY to celebrate it with me because her mother passed away a few days ago in Kentucky so she is there trying to handle the affairs around that tragic event.

Congrats on your anniversary, scrabbler!

Condolences to your ladyfriend on her loss. It's a tough time and I hope she'll get good support from family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats, and hope each year is getting better for you.

:dance:Happy 6th anniversary Scrabbler, many more to follow! My wife and I will be pulling the plug 3/31/15!!

Cant wait!

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone.

My ladyfriend will return to NY on Tuesday night. But I just learned of some more sad news. My dad's ladyfriend for the last 18 years (his wife, my mother, passed away 19 years ago) passed away suddenly early Sunday afternoon. Not long after my dad left her place this morning, she fell and injured her hip. That apparently triggered a blood clot or some other undetermined injury and she died at the hospital a few hours later. Tough week :(

Congrats on (6) years of retirement. Sorry for the loss of your lady friends mother and your dad's lady friend. Life is short, thus retiring early is grand.

I didn't make any posts here last year but I will today. It's now 8 years I have been ERed. And it's 4 years since I began this thread to announce my 4-year anniversary of being ER. Four years ago around this time was tough in the aftermath of Sandy and the nearly 3-day power loss. And 2 years ago I was reeling somewhat from two personal losses to people I know.

I didn't post here last year but I have mentioned before that it was in July of 2015 that I was diagnosed with Diabetes. Being ERed has made it much easier to devote my full time and effort to making and keeping myself well in the wake of that 12-day hospital stay in 2015.

And in early 2015 I got myself a cell phone, a useful tool even for me, an early retiree!

Looking forward to the next 4, 8, 12, 30(?) years of being ERed!

Hey scrabbler wanted to drop by and say congratulations to your successful ongoing retirement! Thanks for posting, it led me back to the gem below that I posted. I'm now 46, and firmly entrenched in the OMY dance...

Hope to join you soon, maybe 3 or 4 more years I'm thinking...

sigh...

OK, back to you, Congrats!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Pan

Congrats Scrabbler, glad it's been all you hoped it would be! As I've said before I'm a few years younger than you, but I'm looking at the same FIRE age (45), which is why I always pay extra attention to your posts <grin>

Hey Scabbler, you were a young buck when you er'd and at this rate it won't be long and you can join the old fartz club:D

Scrabbler, your success is amazing. I have followed your retirement story and it has always interested me. You have given me a few ideas but I have always been one to do my own thing. Much continued success in the future for you.

While Halloween may be "Trick or Treat" for everyone, it is only a treat for me. It was on this day 4 years ago that I began my Early Retirement. I left the office for the last time on this day and took my last commute home.

With the aftermath of Sandy still very much around this week, I am soooooo glad I don't have to deal with any of that stuff any more. And with today being the last weekday of the month, I will soon enjoy my next payday, the monthly dividends from my bond fund to more than cover the next month's expenses. It is so much more enjoyable having my money work for me than for me to work for my money.

Looking forward to many more years of ER including many more spent on this great forum! :)

In 3 more years (I am one year into ER), I want to be able to say the same. Like you, I am enjoying my ER every day.

Today marks the end of my 9th year and start of my 10th year of early retirement.

As with the end of each month since I ERed, I receive monthly dividends from my main bond fund to pay my expenses. As I have mentioned in some other threads, I discovered that I will be going off the ACA subsidy cliff after learning about an unusually large cap gains distribution coming in late December.

I continue dealing with health issues including the diabetes I was diagnosed with 2 years ago and some collateral issues stemming from another ailment at the same time. Nothing big there, as the docs have it under control. One thing, as I have written above, is that being retired enables me to devote as much time and effort needed to maintain decent health, mostly from being able to visit doctors as needed.

And finally, as my screen name suggests, I'll be doing some school Scrabble volunteer work today, visiting a local school to complete a 2-part seminar I began last week. I have been involved in this stuff since 2001 when I semi-retired and had the time to do this volunteer work.

Congrats to you and may I pile on? Four years and six months for me, the best years of my life!

congratulations, and 10 yrs will be quite the milestone. I'm only at just under 2yrs myself. And yes having control of one's time is perhaps the best part of it all. I'm technically obese myself in terms of BMI (do wonder how muscle mass may throw off that measurement since i do weight training and am relatively strong for my age/gender), so the diabetes risk is something the drs routinely warn me about. This is why I've started (3 wks in so far) on no added sugar and low carb. Does make me feel much more energetic and less brain fog. Just a thought if you are not using diet already to manage the diabetes YMMV.

Congratulations Scrabbler1! That must be a great feeling to have worked so hard to achieve something and have it come to pass...

Today is the long-awaited 10-year anniversary of my early retirement. It was 10 years ago today that I made my last commute, the long, awful one from LI to Jersey City, New Jersey on the LIRR and PATH trains. Halloween may be Trick or Treat for most people, but it all Treat for me!

Life is good...……:dance::D:):cool:

Back
Top Bottom