Four Years ER Today!

Today is the long-awaited 10-year anniversary of my early retirement. It was 10 years ago today that I made my last commute, the long, awful one from LI to Jersey City, New Jersey on the LIRR and PATH trains. Halloween may be Trick or Treat for most people, but it all Treat for me!

Wonderful...
I agree with those memorable thoughts about the commute. Like yesterday.
Now the bright look ahead to 40 more years of doing all those things that you ever wanted, without angst. They call it living the dream. I'll join you with the beginning of my own 31st year of retirement, on November first.

Used to be that the 10th anniversary was celebrated with a gift of tin or aluminum... The modern approved gift is a diamond. :( Afraid you'll have to settle for best wishes for happiness in the coming decades.

regards,
bob

Congrats to you! It's fun to hear those that 'jumped' before us are loving life.

I'm just two months in, and am feeling the layers of stress vanish daily. I can't imagine how much better I'll feel in 3 years & 10 months!

Fantastic and congratulations! I'm getting very close to the 4 year point and I cannot believe how quickly it has gone by. It's really quite scary!

Today is the long-awaited 10-year anniversary of my early retirement. It was 10 years ago today that I made my last commute, the long, awful one from LI to Jersey City, New Jersey on the LIRR and PATH trains. Halloween may be Trick or Treat for most people, but it all Treat for me!

Life is good...……:dance::D:):cool:

Congratulations!!!! :dance: :clap: :D

Nine days from today will be the 9-year-anniversary of my retirement. It hardly seems possible that it has been 9 years already. It's been the best 9 years of my life.

Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary!
Whenever I read or hear of someone’s commute I think of your descriptions of how miserable your commute was.

Thanks for all your kind words.

As a nice touch at the end of the day, I find out what my monthly dividend is in my big bond fund, the one which provides me with most of the money I get to pay my bills. So I get money without having to do anything, my kind of money-making!

Congrats. I always find your investment posts of value (but then we are sympatico on investment strategy).

3.5 years for me, and it seems like just yesterday I semi-retired!

Thanks for all your kind words.

As a nice touch at the end of the day, I find out what my monthly dividend is in my big bond fund, the one which provides me with most of the money I get to pay my bills. So I get money without having to do anything, my kind of money-making!

Congratulations!

Your courage to take that leap gives me courage.

And as an aside, today I received the my first pension payment covering last month and this month. I initiated the paper work too late to get it on Oct 1. I decided to take it at the earliest opportunity.
It's $208/month. Enough to cover subsidized ACA insurance.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I too am celebrating my retirement. I retired exactly five years ago today!!!! I love being unemployed!!!!

It's a miserable, drizzly day today here, but I don't have to make that commute to any work due to my being retired, and about to start my 12th year of it.

And in a few hours, I get my monthly dividend payment so I can pay the bills, not that I'm a "paycheck to paycheck" person at all. Life is good......

7 month's behind you and I wonder why, I was so concerned about RE now. LOL

7 month's behind you and I wonder why, I was so concerned about RE now. LOL

Well, we have had a nice bull run! :)

my ole man pulled the trigger a few years back and is amazed his invested assets just keep growing to all time highs. Mine as well. The bull run is alive!

Congrats to everyone! I am still a young dreamer and it's inspiring to see the look-backs. TBT :)

kgtest >>> a nice run so far, is for sure! I remember in early 2016 the markets were bad and heading down, and friends that knew I was retiring, said it is a very bad time to retire with so much uncertainty in the markets. I told them, I wouldn't be retiring if I wouldn't have a plan for a large/down cycle in the market.

It has turned out very nicely for me and many others that did retire in that time frame IMO.

While I am still one month away from reaching the 12-year mark for having been retired, it was on this day 12 years ago that I anxiously walked to my boss's office with my resignation letter in hand and gave my notice of retirement (at age 45). I still have the short note and fondly remember that afternoon when I told them my last day would be October 31st, 2008.

Today is the day which marks 12 years being retired. Trick Or Treat may refer to Halloween, but for me it's only treats as I begin my 13th year of ER. :dance:

Last edited:
I love these updates from folks!

Congratulations on your dozen year anniversary :)
May you have many, many, more celebrations.

Today is the day which marks 12 years being retired. Trick Or Treat my refer to Halloween, but for me it's only treats as I begin my 13th year of ER. :dance:

Same day (Friday) and 12 years for me too. Mine wasn't voluntary but it worked out fine.

While I am still one month away from reaching the 12-year mark for having been retired, it was on this day 12 years ago that I anxiously walked to my boss's office with my resignation letter in hand and gave my notice of retirement (at age 45). I still have the short note and fondly remember that afternoon when I told them my last day would be October 31st, 2008.
This gives me a bit of a chill! Not because it's a Halloween anniversary but that you did this in 2008 and are doing great. Congrats, now back to my sugar high from all the candy we did not give out this year.

Wow, it's another year of being retired as I begin my 14th year of retirement today. All treats, no tricks on this Halloween day, as usual!

Congrats on another year! No going back now and I'm ok with that.

Congrats on executing your plan to perfection.

Congrats to you, Scrabbler! I hope your days are filled with fun things.

I am a freshly minted retiree (at age 64) coming out of the Corporate world. Now that it's been a couple of weeks I feel the stress leaving me. I did not know I had it - sometimes I was high stress which I could feel, but it appears there was a constant low stress that was on me and is just leaving. Perhaps that will bring back memories for you.

Back
Top Bottom