Free air in car tire cost me $11

Note that more and more cars now come with an air pump and tire sealant instead of a spare tire and jack. But a 12v tire pump is from 15 up. Buy a big round tire gauge for about 8 and you are set if you have a low tire anywhere or even a slow leak if you can inflate the tire and it is an overnight to flat leak you can get to a tire repair shop. Mine have saved me several times.

That's why I bought a portable compressor and air chuck. Harbor Freight also sells air tanks you can fill up and take out to the car/truck.

I figure I'll be about break even on buying air around 2045.

+1
Got the short squatty one for $39+10 for the kit to air up just about anything. Use it every other week...

Since you brought it up:LOL:. We bought a new car, they had the nerve to charge $700 (SEVEN HUNDRED) for nitrogen in the tires. I told them are you nuts? They went on and on how it allowed me to return anytime and fill them back up with more no charge. I wonder how many poor souls got taken on that one. If i figure out how to have the wife take a picture of the bill of sale and post it I will put it on the forum.

That is OUTRAGEOUS! I assume you told them where to blow their nitrogen. :LOL:

Last set of replacement tires we bought at Costco. They didn't even ask - they just use nitrogen now instead of air. No extra charge. AND they will check/refill as often as you pull into their garage - and that's at any Costco. YMMV

Where you buy tires or at the pumps?

Where you buy tires - just pull up in front of the shop and someone will usually come out right away to check tires. I guess not many know about this or else there would be a huge traffic jam in front of the tire shop.....:D

As an aside: At the gas pumps, they don't even provide window washing tools anymore. That's a downside of getting gas at Costco. In fact, my local Costco is NOT a particularly good deal for gas. It's usually among the cheapest (compared to gas stations), but rarely THE cheapest, and when it is cheaper, it is not by much. Where my in-laws live, Costco tends to beat local stations by 10-15 cents gallon. Not sure why the differences exist.

Last edited:
Just buy some of those green valve caps and you can impress your neighbors with your "nitrogen filled" tires. :LOL:

Seriously, I think this is one of those things that just point out the general scientific illiteracy. People really don't realize that air is 78% nitrogen? :facepalm:

That is OUTRAGEOUS! I assume you told them where to blow their nitrogen. :LOL:

Last set of replacement tires we bought at Costco. They didn't even ask - they just use nitrogen now instead of air. No extra charge. AND they will check/refill as often as you pull into their garage - and that's at any Costco. YMMV

We have the original bill of sale when she is willing, Im going to post it. You cant make this up.

Seriously, I think this is one of those things that just point out the general scientific illiteracy. People really don't realize that air is 78% nitrogen? :facepalm:

I was looking on youtube for one of those "man on the street" interviews to show the lack of scientific literacy (preferably humorous) and didn't find one, but stumbled across this. The funny part starts at 1:06.

Back
Top Bottom