Free Dinner

A few years back a friend of mine was visiting and asked me to go with him to a timeshare presentation. He was going to get a free lunch and $100.

One of the salespeople started working on him after lunch and said, "This is not a run of the mill timeshare, this is in Scottsdale and will be a good investment." I saw on his face that he was starting to crack so I interjected, "If it is a good investment do you have documentation to show previous owners of timeshares around here who have sold at a profit?" The sales person gave me a nasty look and indignantly said, "This discussion is over!" Handed my friend a check for $100 and walked away.

Yep, we did a Time-Share thing to get a bunch of free stuff and the presentation took 3 hours! (Of course, the ad swore up and down and the nice lady who scheduled us swore up and down it was NOT a time-share spiel.) It WAS a time-share spiel.

After arriving, we got the full treatment from the sales guy. When we finally said "no dice" the guy who had just become our best friend all but ushered us out the door with a hurummmphh! We DID get the free stuff, but not sure what that would have worked out to on an hourly basis. But, we did learn something. No more time-share presentations - even the ones that "aren't" time-share presentations. YMMV

Because I am a cheap b*stard I took my wife to a Valentines financial seminar. We had not been to the restaurant before but it was "nice" for the town we lived in. I wanted to see 2 things....who would schedule a seminar on VD:confused:? And....who would attend! Well the room was full. Probably 8 tables of 6 or 8. I think the room was salted with clients. There was one client couple at our table.

we went out for a drink after.

Ha ha, Scrapr, that's an economical Valentine's Day! Hope your wife got a kick out of it.

DH and I are apparently in the wrong demographic to receive these offers, but I do remember my mom sitting through a timeshare presentation in the late '80s so that she could score a portable b&w TV combined with weather-band and AM/FM radio. We thought it was the height of entertainment in our kitchen! Mom was far too canny to buy into a sales pitch, though.

we tossed a thing from marriott with free airline tickets the other day. It expressly said it wasn't a timeshare offer. Riiiiiiight.
TANSTAAFL
Heinlein

The free dinner we went to was a time share deal. Condo in Maui. When I figured out what these guys were making...

That was the last "free" dinner offer we attended.

Yeah, Marriott. I get these free 3 day vacations in Miami, Las Vegas all the time. Just delete from voicemail. Or live person, "no thanks", click.

The free dinner we went to was a time share deal. Condo in Maui. When I figured out what these guys were making...

That was the last "free" dinner offer we attended.

Yeah, Marriott. I get these free 3 day vacations in Miami, Las Vegas all the time. Just delete from voicemail. Or live person, "no thanks", click.
Wow, you are a lot kinder than me just saying "no thanks"... Of course what I tell them they can do with their timeshare is impossible to do.

Last edited:
The dinners have gotten cheaper and cheaper over the years, and are no longer worth the time. The last one I attended, provided a tiny salad, a couple of rolls, and a choice of lasagna, a piece of chicken or a piece of fish (virtually nothing else on the plate).

Ha. Last one we went to, the dinner was a cold chicken salad sandwich.

How about when a timeshare offers 1 free night stay at destination for attendance at a property viewing and "tough" salesman?

Definitely different than a dinner... and a little more worth it 😉

These financial presenters call their guests "plate lickers". Thought you might want to know.

Of the dozens I've hosted and the dozens of advisors who I know who have hosted I've never heard that before. If you've heard a presenter say that, that's unfortunate.

Of the dozens I've hosted and the dozens of advisors who I know who have hosted I've never heard that before. If you've heard a presenter say that, that's unfortunate.

I may have misstated. My friend, a stock broker, said that's what they call attendees.

I'm sure there are some that are worth attending, you just have to sift through them. Annuities may have been good in the 80's when you could get 10% from someone like the Travelers, but, I would not recommend (especially in the market we have had in the last 5 years at least).

I knew about the plate licker term for years, that is why I don't go to such invitations even though I get them frequently by mail.

Yeah. I went once. Once was enough. Unless of course you're a plate licker.

But hey, a lotta people sign up for those free vacations too.

But you gotta know that nothing is free eh?

I've only been to one seminar and it ended up being well worth it. It was hosted by an elder attorney who was sharing information on how you could protect your parents' assets from Medicaid when they were in a nursing home. It was my understanding at the time that he was "selling" wills and trusts so I did want to at least see if I could learn something.

He turned out to be a certified elder attorney (one of about 200 nationally) who set up our living trust for much cheaper than other people I've talked to. Part of our initial meeting included evaluating my insurance (auto, life, home) my investments (he wasn't selling anything) and recommended umbrella insurance.

He also recommended an agent he trusted when I expressed interest in LTCI and a CPA when I told him I wanted someone to talk to about tax planning. I hired the CPA but decided against LTCI.

I later used him to help with my dad's situation (dementia) where he drew up a co trustee amendment so that I could sell his house to pay for his care (if necessary). So far it hasn't been necessary.

I think I was fortunate.

Sheesh. Everybody gripin’ about food inflation and nobody wants a free dinner.

I've only been to one seminar and it ended up being well worth it. It was hosted by an elder attorney who was sharing information on how you could protect your parents' assets from Medicaid when they were in a nursing home. It was my understanding at the time that he was "selling" wills and trusts so I did want to at least see if I could learn something.

He turned out to be a certified elder attorney (one of about 200 nationally) who set up our living trust for much cheaper than other people I've talked to. Part of our initial meeting included evaluating my insurance (auto, life, home) my investments (he wasn't selling anything) and recommended umbrella insurance.

He also recommended an agent he trusted when I expressed interest in LTCI and a CPA when I told him I wanted someone to talk to about tax planning. I hired the CPA but decided against LTCI.

I later used him to help with my dad's situation (dementia) where he drew up a co trustee amendment so that I could sell his house to pay for his care (if necessary). So far it hasn't been necessary.

I think I was fortunate.

Heh, heh, MORE than fortunate I would say. A meeting with no hard sell and actually being a resource. You should have gone out and bought a lotto ticket.:LOL::cool:

The pitch was before the dinner. although they did put out a flatbread and cracker basket with butter before the presentation. I have to confess that I was hungry at the 6 pm. start, so the basket had a serious dent in it before the hour talk was over.

I think it went about as well as possible from my own perspective with low expectations. The presenter, an older woman, was very down-to-earth and low key. She described herself as an independent financial services agent who wanted to help people address financial problems with a wide range of financial products, using the seminar to present the options available in broad terms. She addressed certain problems in the industry, specifically complicated products with high fees.

We were asked to to fill out an informational sheet with name, address, birthdate, email, cell, employed or not, and types of investments owned. She asked us all to "be adults" and put in the correct information, which I did except substituting age for DOB.

After the pitch, as dinner was being served, she came around and answered specific questions. My wife had a couple about funeral trusts and fixed index annuities.

Later, her assistant came around and offered to sign us up for an individual appointment at which we were to bring more specific documentation of cash flow and net worth. When I said that we weren't interested, she thanked us and told us we could change our mind and even sign up for another dinner if offered.

Dinner was fine. Bread basket, salad, choice of steak or salmon. No alcohol was served, and we were asked not to order alcohol. Dessert was a Belgium chocolate that our presenter handed to us at the table while thanking us for coming. My steak was excellent: a thick flat iron, prepared to the redder side of medium rare, which was perfect for me.

We topped off the evening with a brandy old fashioneded at Ishnala overlooking the lake with the bar to ourselves on a Tuesday night. Pretty nice evening for $15.

The information presented was not new to me, but it wasn't a waste of time either, reminding me of insurance vehicles to serve certain purposes. The psychological aspects to keep the audience engaged were interesting. Everyone can agree that we would rather have lower taxes, guaranteed no down side with more limited upside, and income streams to replace the pension leg of the three-legged stool.

The evening didn't change my own financial plan which is a simple one, using Wellington/Wellesley and enough Treasuries, etc. to ride out storms.

Trailwalker, can you name the restaurant? Was it Ishnala or the Del-Bar?

Most of the dinner pitches we get are at restaurants that are more sizzle than steak. One joint that hosts a lot of these in my area is a 60s-style supper club with indoor water features but reheated frozen food. Yecch.

I have been to dozens of these presentations over the years as a kind of daytime entertainment since DW was still at work and I was retired and bored.

Enjoy the free meal and chatting with others, BUT do not drink the Kool-Aid!

We very rarely get offered dinners at decent local eateries. Probably because "Florida Man" thinks Red Lobster and Olive Garden are decent eateries. :)

We very rarely get offered dinners at decent local eateries. Probably because "Florida Man" thinks Red Lobster and Olive Garden are decent eateries. :)

Wait. What! You mean they're NOT? We were excited when Olive Garden came to the Islands!

Trailwalker, can you name the restaurant? Was it Ishnala or the Del-Bar?

Most of the dinner pitches we get are at restaurants that are more sizzle than steak. One joint that hosts a lot of these in my area is a 60s-style supper club with indoor water features but reheated frozen food. Yecch.

It was Del-Bar.

I knew about the plate licker term for years, that is why I don't go to such invitations even though I get them frequently by mail.

I was in the property-casualty end of the business but on an insurance news site I saw a banner ad for a firm that generated sales leads promising they'd help you "End plate lickers once and for all!"

DH and I used to get them all the time before I retired. We downsized and moved to a house I love but in a less-splendiferous Zip code and I never get them.

Back
Top Bottom