Free Kindle Books Alert

41jjfKStSeL._SS500_.jpg

Amazon.com: What Every Man Thinks About Apart From Sex (Blank Inside) eBook: Shed Simove, Sheridan Simove: Kindle Store

This book is blank. It is 200 blank pages.

The reviews are pretty funny! Someone is looking for the audio format.

Poe was stationed for a time on the island where I grew up. We lived a couple of blocks from the fort and lots of stuff around here is named for his stories, like Gold Bug Island. Thanks for the heads-up.

I like to read book series in order so went ahead and bought the first book of the Roger Ward trilogy based on the description of the third book. Hope they turn out to be good but only 99 cents each for books one and two so not out a lot if it doesn't work out. Thanks for the alert.

I just got these three:

The Beatles: Fifty Fabulous Years Kindle Free Book
The Raven & Other Classic Poe Stories (Kindle Edition with Audio/Video)
Expelled (Roger Ward Trilogy) Kindle Free Book

I remember reading a bunch of Poe stories long ago, and discovering what a great story teller he was, so I'm looking forward to reading him again.

I just finished Amazon.com: Expelled (Roger Ward Trilogy) eBook: Clayton Spann: Kindle Store. It was not engrossing -- I rate it a 7/10.

Something I've seen with a few of these free Kindle books is that the proofreading is terrible -- as if no one proofread. There is a typo every 10 pages or so, and in this book, many of the typos were distracting.

For example:

"Like the Maria, once they got you in you could never get out." (should be "Mafia").

"Just right he signed up for, right?"

"Thrust would have to be kept below way design minimums..."

I just noticed that "Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery", by Gail MarksJarvis, is free for the Kindle and I thought maybe it could be relevant for some here.

http://www.amazon.com/Retirement-without-Winning-Lottery-ebook/dp/B000RH0DTO/ref=zg_bstf_154606011_1

I am already retired, so I don't plan to read it. However, a review says
“Leading financial columnist MarksJarvis presents the everyman’s guide to saving for retirement. The idea of navigating the world of 401Ks and Roth IRAs leaves many people scared, cold, or both. This book will help reduce the confusion, anxiety and avoidance that many people associate with saving for retirement. Informed by thousands of calls and emails from readers over the years, MarksJarvis understands exactly what people want and need to know about managing their personal finances. Here, she provides guidance and answers common questions in an organized and reader-friendly style. Readers will learn how to calculate what they’ll need for their nest egg, how to open an IRA, make sense of mutual funds and when to consult a financial advisor. Sensible–but not stuffy–this book will convince young people to start saving now, and will help ensure that panicked middle-aged readers will not be spending their golden years in the poor house.

I noticed today that my library is now lending books for Kindle.

When I complete the check-out, clicking on the download button took me to a download page at Amazon. The text there said only download via wifi or USB is supported, not via 3G.

I tried it via wifi and it seemed to be a bit slower than ususal, but worked.

Last edited:
I noticed today that my library is now lending books for Kindle.

When I complete the check-out, clicking on the download button took me to a download page at Amazon. The text there said only download via wifi or USB is supported, not via 3G.

I tried it via wifi and it seemed to be a bit slower than ususal, but worked.

Do the books expire? What kind of selection do you get?

Hi,

Does anyone still have a copy of that Fat, Forty and Fired ? It speaks to me on a couple of different levels (snicker) but as usual I`ve missed the boat on downloading for free. Thanks in advance.

Do the books expire? What kind of selection do you get?

I did not find any statistics on how many Kindle books are available, but just browsing through the selections, it looks like wherever there is an Adobe EPUB or Adobe PDF link, there is also a Kindle download link. They have the same lending period as other ebooks (14 days).

Ours is not a large library system; I am guessing between 5000 and 8000 are available, judging from looking at the counts in the various categories. I also have access to the Boston Public library digital catalog, but I have not logged on to find out about Kindle availability on that system yet.

The FAQ section on my library site has not been updated yet with any indication of whether you can return a Kindle shows as loaned out to mebooks te early – I hope I discover some method to do this with Kindle books as volume early. I did delete a book from my Kindle today that I had borrowed yesterday, but it still well., so apparently that does not result in an early return. I am able to return borrowed Adobe books early – I hope I discover some method to do this with Kindle books as well.

Update:
The borrowed books appear on my "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon, with a notation of "public library" beside them. The Actions dropdown box has a "return this book" option. I did that on the volume I wanted to return, and it no longer shows on my Library site as loaned out to me. (Yay!)

Last edited:
Just saw "The Last of the Mohicans" by James Fenimore Cooper.

This one is pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Penal-Col...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1322149682&sr=1-1

It's about someone sent to a penal colony off the coast of England. The prisoners are just dumped off, and left to fend for themselves.

One of the hardest parts of his sentence was to realize just how many mundane activities he would never be able to sample again; and worse, to realize how many opportunities for pleasure he had allowed to pass him by.

On the mainland he had always lived in the future, always looking forward to the completion of the project in hand. When he passed his exams, got the new contract, married Louise, paid off the mortgage: when, in turn, each of these dreams was realized, then, and only then, would he be happy. All were ends, to be reached by any means expedient or possible. He saw now that there were no such things as ends, only means: for ends were phantoms that melted away when approached, only to reform into other ends further off. For most men the process was limited by death.

Hmm - not free for me - too bad - looks like a great book,

Hmm - not free for me - too bad - looks like a great book,

That's interesting -- different prices for different people? Maybe they know I've never paid any money for a Kindle book, and they've given up on me. That link takes me here:

book.jpg

Someone told me that Kindle books and Kindles have different prices when bought from Amazon in the U.S., vs Amazon overseas.

Wow - I just re-clicked the link and it was $0 - it was $4.12 plus VAT before....hmmmm - they can do all kinds of tracking on the internet - in any case I have it now!!!!! :) :)

Thanks! Hope your low carb T-day goes well.

B

Someone told me that Kindle books and Kindles have different prices when bought from Amazon in the U.S., vs Amazon overseas.

I'm an American customer but have a German ip address - I'm sure they don't know what to do with me ;-) That's OK - I'll let the confusion reign to my benefit for awhile longer.....

I got these free Kindle books today -- all get good reviews.

Attachments

• image-2393028627.png
    image-2393028627.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 16
Your alerts are ever so appreciated. Adding to my Kindle collection makes my decision on whether to buy a new Kindle Fire or Nook Touch that much harder. I really want the fastest internet, and better screen and easy volume control. But love all the free books (and Amazon in general) that you can get on Amazon for the Kindle.

I wonder if Barnes & Noble has anything similar. Know you can download library books with Noble, but I think the timer goes off after two weeks, and then they are gone. Not sure on that, but that wouldn't work for me.

modhatter, I read library books on my Kindle and can keep them for 21 days, so I would think that would be the same for a nook. From what others have said here, free books are apparently available on the nook too. I like having access to all the Amazon Kindle books but that is probably just personal preference.

Last edited:
The library time period would be the same for any of the readers, modhatter.
I use Kindle software on my iPad with no problem.
But I gotta tell you, I'd probably bet on the Kindle over the Nook at this stage in the "arms race" between the two companies.

Back
Top Bottom