Functional, off the cuff, indicators of health and fitness by age

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ER's I've been trying to find a website that gives ideas about what constitutes "good health" at various ages. NOT measurements and numbers, but things like "no trouble with stairs," or "no back pain" or "can stand and move about for x hours without sitting." Or even preferably not something like "can do 30 jumping jacks without stopping."

I was surprised I couldn't find a single website like this. Perhaps the lack is an indication as to how subjective such descriptors are. Or perhaps "good health" is a misnomer because I guess you can be on your toes all day and still be in poor health.

I'm in my mid-60s with few to no aches and pains, but neither do I run 5ks or half-marathons, so I cannot use athletics as any indicator. I'm thinking of an acquaintance of mine, a man in his 80s, who goes on "pelagics" (sea trips on boats like commercial party fish boats) for 24 hours, and is known for scrambling up from his sleeping bag on the deck and rushing to the side for binocular views of birds) without any groans, or pains, or apparent stiffness, in fact with ease.

Indicators are probably different for everyone, but has anyone ever come across a website like this?

The criteria you list are too nebulous.

If you found such a website, what would happen next? How would you take action upon that information?

Can you enjoy today the things you want to do?

That might be the issue, these things are too nebulous. I guess I want to know how I compare in cuntionality to others in my age group, and then indeed I might take action. But there might simply be too great of variations. Take driving. No, I can't drive everywhere I want to drive, while some in their 80s are still doing interstate trips. But I don't know what I would do about it.

The sit-stand test?
Lots of fun to try and demonstrate, with or without a drink involved.

https://academic.oup.com/eurjpc/article/27/8/888/5924918

"Once you’ve peeled yourself off the ground following the sit-rise test, use your newfound sense of defeat to get stronger and improve your fitness."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...1d06fe-4035-11e9-9361-301ffb5bd5e6_story.html

There's something called the Turkish Get-Up (apologies to any Turks reading this if it's not Turkish). The guy who told me about this suggested starting with some rolled up socks rather than a kettle ball :D.

Last edited:
The sit-stand test?
Lots of fun to try and demonstrate, with or without a drink involved.

https://academic.oup.com/eurjpc/article/27/8/888/5924918

I tried this once at home, maybe 6-7 years ago (mid-40s) and IIRC scored a 9.5. That means I was somewhat unsteady, but did not use a support (like hand, knee, side of leg), during the "stand" part of the test. It's quite a bit harder than it looks to do it perfectly, smoothly down and back up with no unsteadiness.

There's something called the Turkish Get-Up (apologies to any Turks reading this if it's not Turkish). The guy who told me about this suggested starting with some rolled up socks rather than a kettle ball :D.

This looks VERY complicated, lol!

Back
Top Bottom