Garage shelving units - Recommendations

I'll look into it. We dumped Sam's last year after they sold us bad salmon, but I'd be willing to pay the membership fee if they have something big we want to buy.

Click the link and scroll down to see all their products. I think mine is 16" deep but they make them as much as 24" deep and 60" wide. Solid shelves, wheels to move if you need to, won't rust and lockable. Keeps everything clean and I don't need to put everything in another box on a shelf that I have to dig thought to find what I want. Just open the cabinet doors and find it. I hate open shelves where everything is in a box you have to dig though. Bah! :LOL:

Just had the epoxy floor put in, and the climate control. (well, we'll see how well that works when summer comes!) So, although it would be nice, we are not looking to blow a lot more dough on the garage just now. Other projects are calling.

(Finally broke down and paid to have the epoxy put down...the garage is well over 800 square feet, and we'd have had to do it in stages if we wanted to do it ourselves. Just didn't make sense).

That's on my project list. I want my garage to look clean like that. Epoxy floor and everything in a cabinet. I have a nice shed for a lot of things, but I don't have a basement so I want nice clean storage in the garage. I am even thinking about heating it. Just enough so I can store home canned food without it freezing (exploding). Those Seville cabinets look nice at a nice price.

SAM's Club Seville Classics. I outfitted my whole garage with these types.

Ohhhh nice. I really want wheels but the slick doors are a major bonus - price isn't terrible either. The extra wide one looks awesome except the doors come out the full way, so you always need 3 ft of clearance to open them. But that's not a bad way to hide a lot of garage clutter...

Do you know if those prices are the same for members as regular ppl?

Suncast has a line of resin garage storage cabinents that come in homeowner or commercial grade. The homeowner version has 75 lb capacity shelves and the commercial version is 200 lb/shelf. They have an oversize unit that is 40" wide by 84" tall or standard size is 30" by 72". There are matching base cabinet and wall cabinet versions as well. Main downside is the shelves do not have a range of adjustments.

Commercial grade:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/su...od&utm_term=1100400560775&utm_content=Storage

Homeowner grade:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A17B63D00C5D0CDEA9B3A17&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by a moderator:
except the doors come out the full way, so you always need 3 ft of clearance to open them

That's a good point. I'll keep door swing in mind as I work up a design. Thanks.

I guess everyone's preferences can differ. We used to have this type of wire shelving; I hated it because a) cleaners and chemicals in spray cans become unstable and fall over and b) anything powdery falls through to the floor, and hides under the unit where it becomes a pain to clean up. I don't really want to have to put down plywood on top of the shelf. So, that's why I eliminated wire shelving from consideration.

Now if I could get them for next to nothing, as you did, I might be willing to mess with that plywood....
If you have fairly light stuff, or nonconcentrated loading, the low budget way could be cardboard on the wire shelves. If something spills or just too dirty, throw cardboard out and replace.
I prefer the metal shelves over resin myself.

If you have fairly light stuff, or nonconcentrated loading, the low budget way could be cardboard on the wire shelves. If something spills or just too dirty, throw cardboard out and replace.
I prefer the metal shelves over resin myself.

You could even step up one level and use hard board. Just a bit more substantial than cardboard. You could also have Lowes cut it for you.

Well, I was going to recommend the wire racks but you seem to have disqualified them. Nonetheless, we have several that I purchased for next to nothing at a restaurant auction. The only difference from the picture is that ours have wheels. They were super easy to disassemble and reassemble. I have put plywood down on a couple shelves for leaky items (like the chainsaw).

The shelves are easily adjustable and really, they are my favorite shelves. We have some large industrial ones from Home Depot, but they are heavy and were a pain to put together, so would not buy those again.
We have 4 of those units and they’re perfect to me, especially in a garage where some items may be dirty/messy, and it all just falls through. Way easier to clean than solid shelves. BUT that’s not what the OP wants, no problem.

I bought 5 cabinets from Uline (https://www.uline.com/BL_3872/Storage-Cabinets) about 2 years ago. Four of the Industrial cabinets for the garage and 1 of the Heavy Duty for my shop. I really like the 4 Industrial cabinets, but the Heavy Duty cabinet is of a different design and has a few issues that make it less than perfect. The cabinets were kind of expensive (shipping, etc.), but I would order them again (except the Heavy Duty). Assembly was pretty straight forward.

Those look just like the supply cabinets they had at work (which were probably from the 70's). Very sturdy indeed, if they're the same.

I bought 5 cabinets from Uline (https://www.uline.com/BL_3872/Storage-Cabinets) about 2 years ago. Four of the Industrial cabinets for the garage and 1 of the Heavy Duty for my shop. I really like the 4 Industrial cabinets, but the Heavy Duty cabinet is of a different design and has a few issues that make it less than perfect. The cabinets were kind of expensive (shipping, etc.), but I would order them again (except the Heavy Duty). Assembly was pretty straight forward.

The garage, like the house, is built of concrete blocks with drywall. There are no studs to mount anything to the walls.

Even if there really are no studs you could go through the drywall and mount a shelf to the blocks, but another alternative to protect yourself and your vehicle from being damaged from the shelves falling due to an earthquake or whatever, is to attach an extension to the shelves for more stability. I live in an apartment with problematic walls and I designed extensions for two different shelves. It would even let you attach plywood to the shelves to safely make them a little deeper.

You should still attach it to the wall and/or floor though.

Attachments

• shelf-stand.jpg
    shelf-stand.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 26
  • shelf-support.jpg
    shelf-support.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
SAM's Club Seville Classics. I outfitted my whole garage with these types.
Here's their tall cabinet;

https://www.samsclub.com/p/tall-storage-cabinet-stainless-doors/prod14570055?_br_psugg_q=seville

Do a search for 'seville classics' on their site to see all their cabinets. I really like that they roll and were very easy to assemble. They even include a magnetic screw driver for assembly.

0001764116236_C

They have a smaller version without wheels too. I have wheels on all mine, makes it easy to clean garage. They have locking cabinets for the chemicals and tools if that's an issue. I ordered all mine on line and delivered. Assembly required, but as I said, very easy and instructions well written. A pleasure to assemble. No shipping fees either. SAM's puts them on sale a couple times a year, but limit color choice if that matters.
That shelving with castors are the real deal. My son has some in their garage and are very handy with wheels on them. For cleaning moving them out doors for reasons etc..

The shelving will be in a car-less area, so door swing is not really an issue. But it's a good point regardless.

The extra wide one looks awesome except the doors come out the full way, so you always need 3 ft of clearance to open them.

Ha! Based on this thread I started Googling for shelves & U Line came up. I went on the site & ordered a nice set. Lots of sizes. I ordered casters because this shelf will be in front of the electrical panel. I ordered after 3:00 pm West Coast time. Says delivery tomorrow. We'll see about that

Our last house we ordered custom cabinets from a cabinet factory. I knew the GM through work. They looked really nice. I could only fit 4 in the new house garage. Left 2 in the old garage

Last edited:
Last edited:
^^ Beautiful!! Storage cabinets/shelving on wheels is a deal breaker for me.

In the photo, the floor tiles are 1 foot square. The space has 2 deep tiles around he perimeter. That should help with envisioning the scale of the cabinets.
I got the floor tiles from COSTCO for under a buck each. They are plastic, click-lock together and just under 1/2" thick. I laid a foam underlayment so they didn't sound hollow walking on. Very nice because the floor and whole space is much warmer. And when I drop something on this floor, it is like dropping something in sand; it doesn't bounce or roll. The plastic absorbs the impact, the diamond plate pattern keeps stuff from rolling away.
The lights are LED from SAM's. Replaced all my florescent lights with LED and added extras.

Last edited:
^^ Beautiful!! Storage cabinets/shelving on wheels is a deal breaker for me.

Why are the wheels a deal breaker? I was thinking they were a good idea. What ami I missing? The only thing I was concerned about with the wheels is whether or not they had a leveling mechanism.

On a non-tile floor I'd be afraid a tall shelf or cabinet would tip if I wheeled it. On a tile floor, I'd be slightly less afraid. I'd have to pay extra attention to how much weight is on each shelf. I bet you're not supposed to utilize the top of the cabinet if it's on wheels. It depends partially on the risk of an earthquake but I'm in NYC and I like to be prepared for one. I've felt two here.

Attachments

• earthquake-safety.jpg
    earthquake-safety.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I hope this photo shows up. It's my garage using these Seville Classic cabinets. There are wall mount, rolling work bench, rolling small cabinet and tall cabinets.
If you can see the photo, everything is on wheels and I can clear out the garage in short order.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM6qosuVl1Tt7G4pkApKN7xKHdEFYtXRu7JI7hkljFp8xrpOME6Gd8loVDUhENfng/photo/AF1QipMzAOWDlAuh6xdqWZ8LYf2iTmocKnp19yrFukdB?key=cFZJWkFxRlRlMXh1WC03ZjB6ZWxYc1hSZ0Z5d3ZB

ACtC-3esro_Ru5EUcP7xGuO_Z2WKePj5UHEOMNRNdNFu_UPwyyiv6THJgIAl1O_Bxn8195efAFi71FX_Y_lFMA6DzQtoV4c7g6q9q5ZFKTm4kWI6Tm1RecCUeb_kYnTAU6qrX5XntN2CDLuRjEBT3en6wpjj=w457-h609-no

Looks great! DW wants to epoxy our garage floor. I'd like some storage like yours to finish it off.

Back
Top Bottom