Garage shelving units - Recommendations

Where are the cars? :confused:

I hope this photo shows up. It's my garage using these Seville Classic cabinets. There are wall mount, rolling work bench, rolling small cabinet and tall cabinets.
If you can see the photo, everything is on wheels and I can clear out the garage in short order.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM6qosuVl1Tt7G4pkApKN7xKHdEFYtXRu7JI7hkljFp8xrpOME6Gd8loVDUhENfng/photo/AF1QipMzAOWDlAuh6xdqWZ8LYf2iTmocKnp19yrFukdB?key=cFZJWkFxRlRlMXh1WC03ZjB6ZWxYc1hSZ0Z5d3ZB

ACtC-3esro_Ru5EUcP7xGuO_Z2WKePj5UHEOMNRNdNFu_UPwyyiv6THJgIAl1O_Bxn8195efAFi71FX_Y_lFMA6DzQtoV4c7g6q9q5ZFKTm4kWI6Tm1RecCUeb_kYnTAU6qrX5XntN2CDLuRjEBT3en6wpjj=w457-h609-no

If I got a wheeled cabinet, it would have to be possible for a 60's woman or a much older man to wheel it around when it's full. We are not as strong as we used to be. Would not want to sacrifice the stability of a stationary cabinet, for a wheeled one which may be too heavy to roll.

On a non-tile floor I'd be afraid a tall shelf or cabinet would tip if I wheeled it. On a tile floor, I'd be slightly less afraid. I'd have to pay extra attention to how much weight is on each shelf. I bet you're not supposed to utilize the top of the cabinet if it's on wheels. It depends partially on the risk of an earthquake but I'm in NYC and I like to be prepared for one. I've felt two here.

Attachments

• shelves.JPG
    shelves.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 24
In the photo, the floor tiles are 1 foot square. The space has 2 deep tiles around he perimeter. That should help with envisioning the scale of the cabinets.
I got the floor tiles from COSTCO for under a buck each. They are plastic, click-lock together and just under 1/2" thick. I laid a foam underlayment so they didn't sound hollow walking on. Very nice because the floor and whole space is much warmer. And when I drop something on this floor, it is like dropping something in sand; it doesn't bounce or roll. The plastic absorbs the impact, the diamond plate pattern keeps stuff from rolling away.
The lights are LED from SAM's. Replaced all my florescent lights with LED and added extras.

Do the tiles hold up under cars?

It is really nice to get a good recommendation for something which is not that costly!

Naturally, they are sold out within 70 miles of us. Pandemic demand, compounded by being from China.

I'm happy with this one. It was easy to assemble and the most sturdy plastic unit I've used. Readily available. The pictures on the web site (to the left) show comparisons to other units.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Bla...-36-in-W-x-74-in-H-x-18-in-D-241592/306331734

I did drive a screw through the plastic top shelf into the stud on the garage wall. This made it very stable.

Last edited:
It is really nice to get a good recommendation for something which is not that costly!

Naturally, they are sold out within 70 miles of us. Pandemic demand, compounded by being from China.

Dang. We have stock here, but it is low. Only listing 3 at my local HD. I got mine right before the pandemic and they had a stack of 30.

You also have to deal with The Season in FL and associated increase in demand. Uh oh, I'm veering into the Florida topic. :)

Attachments

• shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 23
Yes, and now we have $@#! vaccine tourists as well. Stay in your own darned states and quit stealing our vaccine!

Dang. We have stock here, but it is low. Only listing 3 at my local HD. I got mine right before the pandemic and they had a stack of 30.

You also have to deal with The Season in FL and associated increase in demand. Uh oh, I'm veering into the Florida topic. :)

I'm happy with this one. It was easy to assemble and the most sturdy plastic unit I've used. Readily available. The pictures on the web site (to the left) show comparisons to other units.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Bla...-36-in-W-x-74-in-H-x-18-in-D-241592/306331734

I did drive a screw through the plastic top shelf into the stud on the garage wall. This made it very stable.
We have two variations of plastic variety shelves like Joe has. The units with non-solid shelves are more sturdy than flat shelves.

Other thoughts:
- You can turn over the flat shelves, and use the small compartments on opposite side for small things.
- If you go over 5 feet, definitely need to attach the top to wall.
- Look at the toe space (or lack thereof). Something to consider when cleaning. I see the lack of toe space as a nice feature. I don't move this shelving often, and less debris goes under. But the shelves, whether flat or ventilated, do collect debris in a garage.
- Wood shelving is not as useful. We have that in the back of our 2-car garage. I've had to reinforce plywood, cut off lower shelves for space, and so on.
- I never cared for any cheaper steel shelving.
- A large cabinet with doors would help when storing tools. But all of the interior space is not used in a cabinet, and doors need swing space.

I'd like to purchase two or three sturdy, capacious free-standing shelf units for our large garage, to hold cleaning and yard chemicals, fertilizer, flowerpots, and the kinds of tools and other items (trimmer, chainsaw, etc.) that don't lend themselves to tool racks. Let's say 6 feet tall, 3-4 feet wide, 2 feet deep.

I do not want wire units, or any shelves with mesh or other openings - prefer solid shelves.

Mostly considering heavy-duty plastic or resin rather than metal, for easier cleaning and to avoid rust. Still, I'm not 100% convinced that plastic shelves are sturdy enough; have never had them before, and it's hard to tell from the few models on display in Home Depot.

Does anyone have good-performing shelf units to recommend? Thank you!

These are sturdy and availible with free shipping from amazon.EDSAL URWM184872BK Black Steel Storage Rack, 72" H x 48" W x 18" D
Brand: EDSAL
4.2 out of 5 stars 4,085 ratings
List Price: $132.99
Price: $99.98 & FREE Shipping
You Save: $33.01 (25%)

If I got a wheeled cabinet, it would have to be possible for a 60's woman or a much older man to wheel it around when it's full. We are not as strong as we used to be. Would not want to sacrifice the stability of a stationary cabinet, for a wheeled one which may be too heavy to roll.

I really load my cabinets down and they roll very easily. Hardly any effort to move them. They are also very stable, no chance of tipping one over in my opinion. The wheels have a brake arm on them. Once in place, you step on the lever to lock the wheel. Very easy.

Where are the cars? :confused:

It's a 4 bay garage. This is the work area in the photo. A very small over all area of the whole garage.

Do the tiles hold up under cars?

Yes indeed. They are made for cars. The manufacturer makes a COSTCO version that is quite reasonably priced. Here's a link to the manufacturer's web site for review. I'm linking their gallery page so you can see how they are utilized. I also want to note, the tiles are made in the USA, Utah. Not Chinese stuff. They have many colors and styles, depending on your budget and taste.

https://racedeck.com/galleries/photo-gallery/

Last edited:
Good thread, lots of good options.

I'm mentally preparing for our next house, and after analyzing our garage/basement/workshop areas, I want everything on wheels. I've found that junk accumulates behind fixed shelving, it creates a hiding spot for mice, etc. I want to be able to roll it out and sweep behind it easily.

Most of our shelves/storage are made from scrap wood from other remodeling projects (replace a door - that old door makes a good shelf!), so it's all pretty ugly. It never really bothered me, but if I'm going to start over, I want it all neat and clean looking. Definitely going for closed cabinets for the garage, and take into consideration that door swing - good point! Hmmm, maybe I need one with a roller door (like a roll-top desk), or sliding doors (which have their drawbacks as well)?

-ERD50

I was looking at those online. Do you have actual experience with them?

These are sturdy and availible with free shipping from amazon.EDSAL URWM184872BK Black Steel Storage Rack, 72" H x 48" W x 18" D

Yes maam I have 2 in my garage they do well. I also have 2 of the plastic coated steel units that I put some 1/8 in. plywood on a couple of the shelves that are good as well. I "rescued" them when I worked as they were rolling floor displays to be thrown out.

You probably want really narrow grout lines if you'll be rolling anything, and a really level floor. As for closed cabinets, I bet everyone puts things that are deeper than the shelf on unenclosed shelves. You can't do that when they're enclosed. I love that I have 7 foot tall shelves that I could overflow, make top heavy, and attach hooks to for hanging heavy things on the frame. I used to hang a ladder and two saw horses on the outside of the shelf.

Attachments

• shelf-wire-top.jpg
    shelf-wire-top.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 21
  • shelf-wire.jpg
    shelf-wire.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
f5cd58c43f95adab59148742a2014575.jpg

This is extremely sturdy and easy to make and install using 8' 2x4s and plywood. The plywood can be cut lengthwise into 3 16"x8' pieces at HD or Lowes. Usually free if you smile or otherwise maybe $.50/cut. The short pieces under the shelves can also be cut there at the store or if you prefer at home with a handsaw. Then it is simple to screw the wood together and then pre-drill to use Tapcon screws (blue) for the concrete.
If you don't feel comfortable with the carpentry then any handi(wo)man can easily do this in less than an hour. Maybe a handi-friend.

Total cost would be around $110 for an 8'w x 8't x 16"d 3 shelf unit. Paint a nice color at your leisure.

Cheers!

Last edited:
...This is extremely sturdy and easy to make and install using 8' 2x4s and plywood. ....

That works great, but what I like about the plastic shelving units that I have is if I ever want to reorganize the garage I can move my shelving units to a different part of the garage. The above would be a bigger project even if you could reuse the materials.

That works great, but what I like about the plastic shelving units that I have is if I ever want to reorganize the garage I can move my shelving units to a different part of the garage. The above would be a bigger project even if you could reuse the materials.
Been there, done that. Deconstruct and reconstruct. That's why I got the plastic unit for a quick fix on my volunteer "to go" bags.

Unfortunately, it's now out of stock every where I've looked. What is going on? The entire world must be organizing garages!

About 25 years ago I went with 8 of these in the garage. I originally stacked them two high because our garage had a ridiculously high ceiling (no idea!). We eventually built a mezzanine so 4 of the units went to the cottage. They can take a good deal of weight and are all still servicable. I don't like seeing everything on the shelves and the doors kept the dust off. They have a decent depth.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...c/plastic-storage-cabinet-36x22x72-light-gray
cupboard.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's now out of stock every where I've looked. What is going on? The entire world must be organizing garages!
This is the worst time of year. A lot of people organize for the new year, putting away decorations and stuff.

I'd like to purchase two or three sturdy, capacious free-standing shelf units for our large garage, to hold cleaning and yard chemicals, fertilizer, flowerpots, and the kinds of tools and other items (trimmer, chainsaw, etc.) that don't lend themselves to tool racks. Let's say 6 feet tall, 3-4 feet wide, 2 feet deep.

I do not want wire units, or any shelves with mesh or other openings - prefer solid shelves.

You could always buy a sheet or two of 3/4" plywood, some 2x4's, and deck screws and build your own sturdy shelves. I built these several years ago for some quick shelving in my in-laws basement. These were 8' long and 16" deep, but you could easily change the dimensions.

Attachments

• 2011-12-31 163600 - Shelves Tony built for the Clark basement.jpg
    2011-12-31 163600 - Shelves Tony built for the Clark basement.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 27

One option which we have done. We got heavy duty resin shelves that had openings, but just added a covering of whatever material you choose (wood, plywood, particle board, etc.) to make a solid shelf.

Maybe stock varies by location - these are available online at Home Depot for us, limited stock in nearby stores, ship to home available (takes about a week): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Muscle-...-in-W-x-72-in-H-x-24-in-D-UR-245PBB/305553565

Amethyst, you are just going to have to get the hammer and nails out and start building shelves. Lol

Back
Top Bottom