Garden Cart recommendations?

kyounge1956

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi all,
My co-workers gave me a cash retirement present, which I'm thinking of using to buy either one of those two-wheeled garden carts or an electric string trimmer. Consumer Reports did ratings on the trimmers last year. I haven't checked yet for garden cart ratings. Anyway, I thought I'd ask here too--does anyone have a cart or trimmer they really like or dislike? What do you look for in a garden cart? There are a number of different kinds available at a wide range of prices, and I don't really know which ones are good and which (if any) aren't worth the price charged.

I bought an Agri-Fab 2 bike wheeled garden cart. They are extremely easy to push cuz they must be well balanced but only ON LEVEL ground. I thought I'd use it for firewood but where I was living it wasn't level ground, going up a grade loaded is just tough and impossible to hold back going down. That said on level ground they are excellent. I have the largest they made, this was in the mid 90's, and it holds a lot! I use it for certain things in the garden that require holding volume like holding shredded leaves for mulching and cleaning out the garden come fall but mostly I use a wheel barrow.

I bought an Agri-Fab 2 bike wheeled garden cart. They are extremely easy to push cuz they must be well balanced but only ON LEVEL ground. I thought I'd use it for firewood but where I was living it wasn't level ground, going up a grade loaded is just tough and impossible to hold back going down. That said on level ground they are excellent. I have the largest they made, this was in the mid 90's, and it holds a lot! I use it for certain things in the garden that require holding volume like holding shredded leaves for mulching and cleaning out the garden come fall but mostly I use a wheel barrow.
My yard is pretty flat, so I think this cart would work OK, but I didn't see a bike-wheeled cart on their website. Can you tell me the model number? Also, if you remember, what's the country of manufacture?

I'm having a hard time finding what I have.

Here's something similar E-Z Haul Carts :: Perfect Balance & Durability

Look at this, Mine looks like the one on the far left but mine has a larger capacity Sites-Gardeners-Site

OK! This looks almost exactly like mine and I think mine is 14 cu ft capacity too. I bought it at Agway or Blue Seal in the 90's. Amazon.com: Precision Products 14-Cubic Foot Capacity Wooden Cart WC14: Patio, Lawn & Garden . BTW the front piece slides up and is removable so you can dump it or shovel from the front. This is a great cart, highly recommend it and this price is not a lot more than I paid years ago considering inflation!

If you google "bicycle wheel garden cart" you get hits and some are how to build them.

Last edited:
MY Stihl trimmer is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The cool thing about it is the ability to attach various kinds of tools on the business end. I use it about half and half with a string trimmer head and a brush cutter (blade) head. There is also a small chainsaw attachment which works beautifully.

I've used it a LOT for over two years now and it's still as good as new.

+1

Gas trimmers are noisy and need some maintenance, but I just can't stand messing with a long extension cord. Besides, parts of my property are just too far from an outlet to make an electric trimmer practical, but your mileage will vary.

As far as string trimmers I can't use them. I have one that is pretty new but not run in several years. The vibrations cause my hands and forearms get tingly in a few minutes and I'm not going to go down that road. No one sees the grass I don't trim with the string trimmer and so it goes.

I like my old Toro 610 electric grass trimmer. Very light. But you can't buy it anymore. I was looking at Kmart a few days ago and they had a Black and Decker(?) electric (corded) with adjustable handle length, which felt comfortable. Only $29 or $19.

Back
Top Bottom