? give a key to a neighbor I don't know well

I have never given a key to a neighbor. The comment about moving unless you trust neighbors with keys is ridiculous. Only family, my best friend and my dog sitter have keys. I have become really good friends with one of the women in my condo building who also dog sits for me so we have exchanged keys. When I lived in my house we had an electronic key pad so we could give someone a code and lock them out if needed.

I am on the condo board and people have died in there. Police will do a welfare check if asked. If it goes unanswered they call all the hospitals, etc before breaking down the door. I can’t imagine making a rule that the owner must provide a key to the hoa or management company. Clearly a violation of private property rights and overstepping boundaries.

Put your modem/router on a timer switch, so that it reboots once per day, at 4am or whatever time you think is quiet. Just have it turn off, and then turn on 3 minutes later.

You could set it up weeks ahead of time, to be sure everything works fine.
One hitch might be that the modem has a builtin battery (T-Mobile 5G Internet) and I don't know how long it's designed to go without power. Toggling the on/off switch works but maybe there's another approach.

One hitch might be that the modem has a builtin battery (T-Mobile 5G Internet) and I don't know how long it's designed to go without power. Toggling the on/off switch works but maybe there's another approach.
Maybe just remove the battery when we go away I suppose.

Maybe just remove the battery when we go away I suppose.

Or in your testing of it, just extend the timer off setting to a longer period as in 1 hour, or 2 hour, etc until you find when the battery fails.

This way, the timer will deplete the battery so the system reboots, and yet the battery will be present during the day should a power failure happen you will have internet as normal for however long the battery lasts.
This only matters if you have other devices that use the internet (camera, alarm) and they have their own batteries.

Of course the battery should/probably is a rechargeable one.

Since I wrote the comment, I guess I'll respond. First, you would do well to read what I actually wrote, which was "If you live in a place where you can't trust your neighbors, maybe you should consider moving." The words "with keys" are not in that sentence.

Keys or no keys, I don't think I would enjoy living where I could not trust the people around me. In our case, only one of the neighbors has a key, but I know and trust all of them. It's a good neighborhood full of good people.

^^^^^
As an administrator maybe you can see what has been edited. IIRC, someone else said it before you and mentioned keys, but their post has since been edited. (Could be wrong) I don't try to memorize these posts.

For me, I trust my neighbors well enough where I live now, as long as my gate(s) and door(s) are locked and I have the only keys :) Well, most of them anyway.

Last edited:
What was it about seeing an ambulance that made your neighbor freak out and want a key? Thinking that you fell and could call them to come help?
Yes, because we are all horrified by the neighbor who passed not knowing if we had found her sooner if she would have been saved.

The knox looks interesting but does it scream "old people live here"? I mean that might be worse to advertise I might be an easy target.

IDK. It is kind of a new train of thought for me all around.

It has been nearly a year since I lost the best cat ever and well might be time to add some fur to my life which would need fed if i disappeared in an ambulance. Obviously if it was planned trip it not be an issue.

BAM,

TLDNR: Yes we give out our key and it is the right thing for us.

The long version follows...

We live on a Cal-de-Sac / Horseshoe. 4 houses.

We have given our House Keys to near and dear trusted friends. And also our next door neighbors who we have known for 20 year and are trustworthy also.

All our neighbors know our friends and know that it is ok for them to enter our house.

The other 2 X neighbors on the other sides all watch the house like a hawk.

Besides us 2 of the homes are retirees and the one house has a stay at home Mom and her Mom lives there.
There is a low probability of anyone getting into our house as all neighbors make Mrs. Gladys Gruber Kravitz seem like a Blind Hermit - ha !

We are blessed to have good neighbors.

We go on extended Road Trips quite frequently and they get the mail, pick up packages and physically check the house on a almost daily basis for us.

We do pay them for doing this.

All the Cash, Jewelry, Valuables and Weapons are locked up in big Gun Safe(s) that have mechanical dial locks and the combo's are not wrote down anywhere and only ms gamboolgal and I know them. So anyone in the house does not have opportunity to steal these item(s).

We also use the House Monitoring Service that the local Constable offers. You turn in an Online Request with the dates and particulars about your House and they will come and do physical Walk Arounds....we watch them on the Ring Camera....

We also have Ring Camera's that Ding-Dong us whenever anyone comes near to the Front Porch, Driveway and Backyard. So we know everytime our friends enter the house, package delivered, Sheriff's Deputies / Constables check on the property for us, etc.

We have had Failed Hot Water Heater / Plumbing failures in the Attic (2 story home) that they caught quickly and prevented major major damage. It was still a mess and not a minor repair but could have been a huge event had they not been checking the house. Had a couple other issues that were caught and as a result were minor but would have been big Ruhrows otherwise.

We also Re-key our locks as a matter of practice every once in a while - as cheap insurance.

The key is to have real trust in the folks, Ring Camera's and to Rekey Locks every once in awhile.

And this is Texas...there is enough hardware/ordnance on the Cul-de-Sac to equip a combat platoon to take on the Zombie Hordes....

the knox box looks like somebody who knows what is up and how to deal with things lives there. They are on the side of every business.
It would be nice if somebody called that you had not been seen, that the FD or police did not have to kick your door in to find out you were on vacation :)

We have lived here since 1986. We have never given a neighbor a key, until our son and d-in-law bought the house next door. We do have the keypad on our garage and either of the kids could get into the house if needed. Our son has always watched our place and the cats and bringing in the mail when we were away. We have always paid him, even when he said no, but the last time he said that he had used my car 2 days (he asked first) and would not take any money.

My DH told me the other day that there is an extra key in the basket and thinks that it belongs to the neighbor across the street. He said that he would have to ask her if it belongs to them.

We have given neighbors keys in the past, and some have given them to us.

In our present location we have not given anyone a key, but have one in the garage that can be accessed if I give them the code, or open remotely with my phone.

We currently have a key for one neighbor who is in rehab for a broken ankle. We also have a key to her mailbox. We collect the mail periodically and leave it in the house for her grandkids to pick up when they come by.

Another neighbor has ALS. She has something like the Knox box so the FD and/or paramedics can get in (which happens maybe every other month if she falls down). DW has the code to that box, just in case.

Another neighbor is fairly new, but we have gotten to know them well. They have a summer home up north, and a winter home down south, so they are only here 3-4 months a year. We have the code to the garage, and agreed we will check on the place if the need arises.

We have several close friends not to far away, and probably should give them keys for an emergency. Of course, when we are away it is often with them.

Bottom line: It just depends on your comfort level, but for a medical emergency, the Knox box thing sounds like the way to go. FWIW, our neighbors is inside the storm door, on the side, not visible unless you open the storm door, so not a neon sign saying "someone old lives here".

I just had a little emergency here about a week ago and kind of scared the neighbors when they saw the ambulance. So now they are thinking we should exchange keys. I am not in the slightest worried they would steal anything but I do not know them well and I know the one is very nosy. Ideas I am not thinking of to manage? Hiding a key outside seems very insecure and IDK about those electronic locks would seem very hackable. Family is in another state so not useful for this purpose.

do you live alone? if so giving a key to someone in case you need help and can't get to thr door is a good idea. in my area first responder will not "kick in" a door without visual or aural evidence that the person inside is incapaciitated. a couple of thoughts from a retired 9-1-1 administrator:

1-check with your local PD/FD/EMS providers or your local 9-1-1 system administrator and see if they have a database into which you can enter data about yourself (and other inhabitants of the home, if any). the 9-1-1 dispatcher can access the information in that database if a call from the phone number on file is received. you could also indicate where a spare key is located for first responder use. we use Smart911 here.

2-you could install an electronic lock and give your first responders and/or 9-1-1 center the code. this could also be a part of the residence data entered in the database. a few of the fire depts in our area are small. in those depts they do keep copies of door keys in their front line engine and medic vehicles but only in very few, very specific, very special situations.

3-get a realtor key box for your door knob or mounted on the wall next to the door. give the code to the first responders or to 9-1-1

4-if your condition is chronic you might consider one of the many "help, i've fallen and can't get up' devices. one on your wrist, around your neck and/or in the bathroom/shower.

our next door neighbor has a key but we know them pretty well. but we also have a ring doorbell cam. :)

Last edited:
I just had a little emergency here about a week ago and kind of scared the neighbors when they saw the ambulance. So now they are thinking we should exchange keys. I am not in the slightest worried they would steal anything but I do not know them well and I know the one is very nosy. Ideas I am not thinking of to manage? Hiding a key outside seems very insecure and IDK about those electronic locks would seem very hackable. Family is in another state so not useful for this purpose.

Neighbors on both sides have keys and their own code to our security system but we do know them relatively well. They do not have the code to the safe!

Yeah I had no idea some of these options existed at all! Having a knox in a discreet location sounds promising.

Yeah I had no idea some of these options existed at all! Having a knox in a discreet location sounds promising.
I have a Knox box. The local FD installed it, and they put a sticker on the lower part of a window panel to indicate that one was present. They install it in a standard place at each house so they know where to find it. I think they said that they have to retrieve their master key to the Knox boxes using their SSN, so they know who has last taken out the key, just for assurances it won't be misused. I'm sure it's not a perfect solution but it should keep my door from being kicked in if they have to enter.

We have neighbors we know quite well, but don’t keep each other’s keys. It’s something we should consider. We’ve helped each other in many ways over the years. We do leave a key and assign them a code to our security system if we travel and they have done the same.

One year they were in Florida and we had a big unexpected snow. We had forgotten to fill our gas can and we ran out of gas. I texted them to see if they had any, and they gave me their garage passcode to access their gas. In return we plowed their sidewalk and driveway so it looked like they were home, and, so they could get to their garage when they got home.

Get to know your neighbors. Most (but not all) are trustworthy.

Let's see, next door neighbor has a girlfriend busted for meth, while she was out waiting for trial, she got busted for heroin, got 4 yrs. Her daughter passed out from drugs at a stoplight with her baby in the back seat, in possession of drugs and a gun. She lost her kid and got some time. One of the son's of the neighbor, got busted with 9 others in a deal for 50 grams of methamphetamine. The neighbor across the street has a drug user, sometimes seller. The drug dealer showed up twice a week, they made no big effort to hide the transaction, talk, money goes in the car window, talk, drugs come out the car window and dealer goes on the next delivery. The police new of the problem, several (6 or7) overdoses with firetruck, ambulance, and one or two police cars. Two women died of overdoses in the home, a third took a beating, 7 days in a coma and returned to the home to died 30 days later of a brain hemorrhage. But, this year the problem is resolved, the 84 year old mother died, the 50 something drug using son, sold the house and a month later found a bit to much Fentanyl than he could handle and the grandson had to find a new home. So they are all gone. Re: next door neighbor, I haven't seen the girlfriend or his daughter for months, his boys have both moved out. My area of the neighborhood of 97 homes seems to be free of the problems [-]it[/-] I had, I think there is still one more drug house, but it is two blocks away. The police know of it all, they say if they are not dealing they aren't going to do anything!

Do I miss that soap opera? It was more riveting than most of TV.
No, I'm not going to give my neighbors a key.

Although, kitty corner, I have good neighbor, I know where his keys are, I occasionally let his dog out when he is gone out of town. I would let him have a key, but haven't thought I had a need to.

Gumby, our society is so mobile that according to your criteria that could involve a lot of moving:)). But the plus of a mobile society is that jerks also move away.

My "hide-a-key" is in a 4 digit lock box. They can be had for a few bucks at the HW store.

I can lock or unlock my front door from my phone for anyone, as well as open my garage door. I never carry keys.

Time2, we live in a neighborhood full of druggies......but the average age is probably late 60's! (55+ community).

Although one old gent here is supplying MJ in gummie form or in vape pens to needy neighbors...purely for medicinal purposes. (he will also place a sports bet for you too)

Oh, and our next door neighbor has the code to our electronic key pad on our door and I have a door key of hers. She's a 77 year old widow who I kind of watch over.

You can buy a padlock box that will hold keys and any written instructions. Cost is about $50.

You can then give the code to anyone should the need arise, and change the passcode when the need for access is gone.

This is what I have, although my neighbor does have the code.

We got a security box on Amazon that is screwed onto the trim by our garage door. Most people think it’s to open the garage door but it actually holds the keys to our home doors. It is not electronic. It’s a manual combination lock you put the code into.

Weather proof. Very inexpensive.

We got a security box on Amazon that is screwed onto the trim by our garage door. Most people think it’s to open the garage door but it actually holds the keys to our home doors. It is not electronic. It’s a manual combination lock you put the code into.

Weather proof. Very inexpensive.

How tamper proof is it?

Back
Top Bottom