Give up running?

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I will turn 65 on May 2. I've been running pretty regularly since my late 20's although I've never been a fanatic about it. (Daily runs in 3 - 5 mile range, never ran a race >10 miles.) Living in Vermont, as I now do, I have backed off on running in the winter the past few years and instead have done Nordic Track, ellipticals, some treadmill running. As I've been trying to psyche myself up for the spring running season this year, I think I may be ready to give up running for good in favor of walking/hiking and the machines I mentioned above. (I also do weights or weight machines 2x weekly and a bit of stretching.)

Not sure if this is subliminally a 65 thing or what. Have any other runners out there ever reached the point of saying, "I don't want to run anymore?"

Ran a marathon at age 30 but at 56, I really can't run any more, my knees can't take it. I happily switched to a bicycle for as much of the year as possible, and walk/treadmill when the bike isn't an option.

Ran a marathon at age 30 but at 56, I really can't run any more, my knees can't take it. I happily switched to a bicycle for as much of the year as possible, and walk/treadmill when the bike isn't an option.

I feel the same way. Pretty much running from March to late November. Just decided that at age 61, running is just too much on my knees and spine. I'm walking fast, race walking, Ski poling, crouch walking, doing lots of hills, but I'm not running.

Z

Same here, gave up running for hiking and biking because of all the aches and pains I had from running. Also use a treadmill for a good cardio workout, set the treadmill at a fast walking pace and adjust the elevation as needed to get my heart rate in the zone.

:confused: Worried about motion sensors?

Motion Sensor: Detect crouch walking? - Electronic Arts UK Community

Or do you mean "Grouch"?

I've not heard of crouch walking either? Does Grouch walking refer to the way Groucho Marx walked? (is the cigar mandatory? :LOL:)

As to the OP, I have never been a runner per say but over the years have modified my exercise depending on how I was feeling. I had to give up soccer and tennis 20 years ago when I wrecked my back, but after a couple of years was able to be a soccer ref. After a few years my knees hurt too much so I switched to walking, ellipical trainer, cycling.

This last few years (since '05) I've found that the back and knees had improved to the point I'm playing singles tennis again. (albeit with back brace and strapping on the knees).

As to the OP, I have never been a runner per say but over the years have modified my exercise depending on how I was feeling. I had to give up soccer and tennis 20 years ago when I wrecked my back, but after a couple of years was able to be a soccer ref. After a few years my knees hurt too much so I switched to walking, ellipical trainer, cycling.

This last few years (since '05) I've found that the back and knees had improved to the point I'm playing singles tennis again. (albeit with back brace and strapping on the knees).

I have to say that pains have nothing to do with my thoughts about giving up running. I've never had a shin splint, my knees are fine and I think the only ill-effect from running all these years is that my leg muscles are tight. (My fault for not stretching enough over the years.)

So if I give up running, it won't be because of aches and pains.

I appreciate the thoughts of other posters.

One last thought...many of my friends in the military were really fanatic runners. They ran marathons, did 10 miles for a "normal" workout, etc. (We military folks can be a bit over the top on stuff like that.) Most of them stopped running a few years ago because of bad knees, hips, etc. I attribute the fact that I am still able (although not necessarily willing) to run today to the fact that I was a bit more moderate.

Not sure if this is subliminally a 65 thing or what. Have any other runners out there ever reached the point of saying, "I don't want to run anymore?"
Usually I reach the point of the orthopod saying "You don't want to run anymore."

Among surfing, taekwondo, and the weights/lunges/squats that I should be doing, I don't make the time for cycling or running. I grudgingly put in the elliptical & treadmill time because taekwondo wants an annual two-mile run for the black belt test.

Are you feeling burned out and in need a different type of run or aerobic exercise? Windsprints and fartleks? Circuits? Even solo racquetball or a fun (non-competitive) tennis league?

Or is this an indication that you've finally matured to the point of being less than 110% military hypercompetitive? Not, of course, that I was ever that way.

Are we going to see you at the Senior Olympics in a few more years?

I used to run three to four times per week, although not very far, <5 miles. I HATE running with a passion. Currently I run once per week. I also hit the elliptical three to five times per week and hit the heavy bag two times per week. Sometimes I do two-a-days with cardio.

All in all I don't miss running frequently like I was doing. I've had shin splints three or four times from old shoes. I've had plantar faciatis twice, once from old shoes and overuse, and the second I purchased the incorrect shoe. I've had issues with my hips twice from overuse. The thing I hurt the most often was my ankles from hitting a hole or gutter I did not see. In total I've been "injured" about 10-15 times in over 20 years of running.

Whenever I run frequently (about 4 days a week), I sometimes think "I don't want to run anymore". I stop for a few weeks and then eventually start again. I mixed in biking, hiking and weights to reduce the aches and pains caused by running. i found that the variety really helps.

Whenever I run frequently (about 4 days a week), I sometimes think "I don't want to run anymore". I stop for a few weeks and then eventually start again. I mixed in biking, hiking and weights to reduce the aches and pains caused by running. i found that the variety really helps.

Ditto. And although I'm only 33, running and I have had a lot of love and hate since I started in college. I enjoy staying in shape and even though running is great exercise and I've done 8 marathons, sometimes I'll go 6+ months without putting on my shoes....I just need a break and have to keep my workouts fun/interesting. Eventually the desire comes back.

I started running in 1990, and completed 18 marathons and too numerous to count other races. I'm 44 y/o, and last few years I've really backed off to running 3 days a week, about 45 minutes per run. My joints are fine but muscle recovery is an issue, plus I think I am just bored with running in the same neighborhood/town the last 12 years. Everytime I travel, I get excited about running elsewhere. Although I've thrown in other activities (biking, swimming, hiking) none of it seems to be anywhere near the efficacy of running in terms of staying in shape, at least for me, so I think I'm going to have to keep running whether I want to or not.

Are we going to see you at the Senior Olympics in a few more years?

Not bloody likely! Although, I will be really pi$$ed if I can't keep keep up some modicum of vigorous exercise until a day or two before I die. At this stage of the game, the cardio machines at the gym, weights, walking, hiking, kayaking and doing curls with pint glasses of beer will probably constitute my program. I'll still consider what to do about running.

I'm a big proponent of doing the physical activities that you enjoy. You have some good alternatives to running lined up, so if you'd rather do that, do it. As Ronstar said, you might come back to running later.

Or, you could try to start running again and see if you enjoy getting back into it. There are plenty of days where I don't feel like running, but I go out anyway, and often those turn out to be the runs I enjoy most.

I quit running 23 years ago, because I was burnt out. I started running when I was 11, and quit when I was 24. In that 13 years, I did the following:

Was on the track team in middle school, high school and college
Was on the cross country team in high school and college
Trained for and completed 5 marathons
Ran 150 road races, anywhere from 5K to half marathons.
Set all my PRs
Ran at my peak 80 miles per week, but mostly trained at 40-50 miles per week.

Other than running a little here and there, and two road races (5K) I truly have given it up, and don't miss it that much. Biking and walking have much appeal, and I try to do that as much as I can...............

I find distance running boring and for my personal physical goals, useless. Sprints are a great way to lessen the impact on your knees and body over time. Also, distance running only increases your metabolism while you're running. Sprinting increases your metabolism for hours afterwards so you burn more fat with a shorter but more intense workout. There are many other benefits but in the interest space, I'll leave those out. Oh, and I like to ride my bike too.

My son is in a local track club that meets for 8 weeks every year. They train 3 days a week. 800 meter warmup, then stretching, then a bunch of plymometric exercises. They end the warmup by running 6 40 meter runs, 2 at 50%, 2 at 75%, the final 2 at 100%.

After that, they do a workout and/or field event work. These kids are in grades 3-8. They are tired at the end........:)

Have any other runners out there ever reached the point of saying, "I don't want to run anymore?"
Yeah, like every time I go running. Or at least 80% of the time.

You haven't really said why you want to give it up. Just tired of doing it?

For me, I feel that I have no choice. I think that each year it gets harder to make myself do it, so maybe at 65 I'll quit, but for now I'm convinced that the benefits far outweigh the "cost."

And it's not an all or nothing thing, right? You could run once or twice a week and do other things on the other days.

I had some knee pain last year, but it has recovered completely, and as long as I warm up I'm OK.

And I'm about to going running right now -- more fun with iPod touch.

If you like gadgets, a Garmin GPS watch is a lot of fun too.

Yeah, like every time I go running. Or at least 80% of the time.

You haven't really said why you want to give it up. Just tired of doing it?

Yeah, I guess that's it...I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

And it's not an all or nothing thing, right? You could run once or twice a week and do other things on the other days.

Point well taken. Actually, since I wrote the original post I've run a couple of times. I think my mind set is probably caught back in the days when I thought I had to run 5 or 6 days a week to do me any good. I supposed adopting a mind set like I have for weight workouts (2 or, at the most, 3 times a week) would be good.

And I'm about to going running right now -- more fun with iPod touch.

I don't have a Touch, but I have an older iPod. I take books on CD out of the library, put them on my computer and download to my iPod. I listen to them when I'm running, doing other exercise, working in the yard, waiting in a doctor's office, etc.

I can't believe you guys running into your 60s! My knees gave out in my early 30s. No more downhill skiing, and no more running or any other high-impact activity.

I still hike a lot, but I have to be careful to step lightly on the descent and also try not to twist my knees.

Audrey

Pretty much the same as the OP. 40+ years of jogging and now looking at giving it up. DS commented to DW last visit that I was moving a bit "gingerly" and he was right. I think I'm tired of always feeling sore, even as I run 3-5 miles with little effort - the payback comes the next day.

Plan now is to walk most days with DW, 3 miles in a bit over 45 min, then twice a a week really pump the rowing machine.

Gravity always wins, but I'm gonna use very trick I know to stay strong, stable, and fit for my age as a matter of health and quality of life. A big step in that plan is to admit when I have to adjust the plan.

Ran seriously up to about 35 (over 100 miles a week at times), then I foolishly didn't take a couple of days off when my P Tendons(knee) started bothering me. Now....2 operations on each of them and still they won't work as well which is to be expected. I am 52 now and would still be running 10+ miles a day if I could. Other exercises have never done for me (physically and mentally) what running has. I haven't run more than a mile or two in several years and between the tendons in the knees and a repeated calf injury....running isn't likely to be in my future anymore. Joints are perfect.....kind of like have a sports car but no gas in the tank..... biking is nice, but I get tired of people trying to run me off the road. Swimming I will do when I have no other choice....too much of a hassle although I am a good swimmer. Walking and biking will probably be it....at least once my calf heals up AGAIN from hurting it just walking 3 months ago. I think over the years, the people who have had the most trouble doing things like running aren't as good at just spacing out and daydreaming.....my theory anyway. I am VERY good at spacing out while exercising. After this long without running seriously, I don't really miss the competition.....but I really do miss the daily workouts....kind of a purification of a sort.

Back
Top Bottom