Good bye for now

I am treading on dangerous, heretical ground here, but to expand my point, from "Stop Acting Rich" by Thomas Stanley:

"Real safety is not a diversified stock portfolio....Many a millionaire has told me that true diversity has much to do with controlling one's investments; no one can control the stock market....Not at any time during the past 30 years have I found that the typical millionaire had more than 30 percent of his wealth invested in publicly traded stocks. More often it is in the low to mid-20 percent range. These percentages are consistent with those found in studies conducted by the Internal Revenue Service, which has the best dataset on millionaires in the world."

Last edited:
I'm shutting down electronics for a while and I'm not sure if I'll be back. On the investing side there's a little too much group think for my taste. But I wish you all the best in your future. I think mine may be headed in a different direction.
Good luck with the search. Come back when you feel the need to share more thoughts about investing.

Re: Why we come here....?

For me, who is kinda money ignorant, a place to trade thinking on a vast number of subjects of general interest. With no broker, no trades, no 401K, no pension, no rental property, no Roth, no inheritance, or regular income stream except for an IRA, and some IBonds and SS... an outcast from the investing world.

Still a fun place to discuss life in retirement. A place to look ahead to what may be coming, to discuss places to go, health stuff, get answers, and other topics... that have to do with being unemployed... and of course LBYM.

So while early-retirement.org may not be for everyone, it doesn't mean that it's only about investing. (ummm... at least I don't think so) :blush:

Attachments

• Silas.jpg
    Silas.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 12
LBYM, sure.

Vanguard - no, some people really don't like them, feel their service is inadequate. Many prefer a place with B&M. No consensus there (this isn't Bogleheads! ;) )

Debt Free? Surely you joke! Many of us are fine with debt in retirement, some would rather face Room 101!

"There's no right answer"? - Seems a few think they have the single right answer on all sorts of topics.

-ERD50

Maybe I overstated or you misunderstood.

I didn't mean to imply that EVERYONE subscribes to these points of view.

After daily visits to this forum over several years, these four (there are likely more) a certain general profile emerges among the crowd when taken as a whole. 60%? 80%? I don't know. Doesn't matter.

My experience with 'group think' is that even among the converted there remain doubters and exceptions.

Best of luck, thanks for your contributions.

I suspect most forums enjoy-suffer from group think WRT the central theme (ER here), right or wrong most people gravitate to other like minded people. I actually enjoy spending time online with people who are like minded re: investing, while reading divergent views on non-investing topics. An interesting mix IMO...

While I'm a fan of indexing, there's something to be said about being able to control capital gains with a group of individual stocks, etc.

-ERD50

Granted, many here sing the praises of buy/hold/rebalance using low-cost index funds. I am one of them, though I won't necessarily argue it's the best or only way...

Problem with controlling the CG of a group of individual stocks, for me at least, is that almost all of my portfolio is in tax-deferred accounts, thus the "gains" are not taxed as such. It will all be taxed as income, assuming I want to actually spend it. And I do...

Bon voyage, Dashman. Not sure why the passive-aggressive post though. As far as I know there are no ER enforcers with ball bats...

I don't understand leaving er.org. I can understand leaving bogleheads because the mods there can be a bit...strict is a nice word, but we have great mods here who even let conversations go forth on hot topics with the new hot topic warning banner, which is awesome.

But I wish you all the best in your future. I think mine may be headed in a different direction.

I'm curious what that "different" direction might be.

And I have enjoyed your posts during my short (so far) tenure here.

_B

EDR50.... over 14k posts... quite a lot. --- not that this is good or bad......

ERD50... I just grabbed your nic because of the large number of posts... and for no other reason, so please to not take it personal-- not meant that way.

Probably disagreed with folks 14K times. But who's counting :angel:

See, there's no group think here.

Good luck Dash Man. :greetings10:

Maybe I overstated or you misunderstood.

I didn't mean to imply that EVERYONE subscribes to these points of view.

After daily visits to this forum over several years, these four (there are likely more) a certain general profile emerges among the crowd when taken as a whole. 60%? 80%? I don't know. Doesn't matter.

My experience with 'group think' is that even among the converted there remain doubters and exceptions.

OK, but I think that 'Vanguard' and 'debt free' are not as close to 'group think' as you may think. I still think there is some diversity of though there.

As someone said earlier, I don't view 'group think' as simply a number (majority? XX%?), but a way of thinking. Like: We almost all think "X". because we almost all think "X". If you don't think "X", go away, no reason need be given, it is simply accepted that "X" is true.

But you're right - it doesn't matter! ;)

-ERD50

I don't understand leaving er.org. I can understand leaving bogleheads because the mods there can be a bit...strict is a nice word, but we have great mods here who even let conversations go forth on hot topics with the new hot topic warning banner, which is awesome.

ORLY? I've seem to have accrued my share of points and deleted posts...

:mad:

I can understand leaving anything. Taking a break from something and departing for other pastures can be invigorating and rejuvenating.

Happy trails Dash Man!

I agree with this.

I also don't think there is a lot of "group think", but many things are repeated OVER AND OVER AND OVER again...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just how things are on these interwebz forums. I think many people "come and go" with er.org as well as the 1 billion other forums out there...it's just human nature. I was *very* involved in a fairly popular professional flying web forum (about 10 years and many thousands of posts) but eventually it grew tiresome. I am not saying that I now know EVERYTHING there is to know about aviation, but the after a while, it got to be the same old same old. BUT..every now and then, I will drop in and see what's new...which is usually nothing.

Oddly enough, I spent WAY more time on the internet when I was still w*rking, but now I am just not "that into" the internet. So, I would be surprised if I actually accumulate 1,000+ posts in any of the forums I participate in now.

Dash Man...have a good one and take care! :dance:

ORLY? I've seem to have accrued my share of points and deleted posts...

:mad:

I had a post deleted once, but admittedly, it was a little dirty. Can't even remember what it was, but I think it was easter-related, and involved a bunny.

Anyway, all the best to Dash Man!

I think many come here for financial advice or reassurance, but stay due to the diversity of topics that have nothing to do with finance. Dashman, maybe like Midpack, you will reconsider leaving the board after a short hiatus. Anyhow, all the best.

Hey, this crazy iMac auto corrected my spelling and changed Dashman to Dishman, and Midpack to Mudpack. I had to edit my post:facepalm:

The good news is that your iMac correction is a little less expensive now, I hear.

(I thought you two were wrestling or having some unusual male facial - didn't want to ask)

Back
Top Bottom