Good News--No Bad Side effects to Covid Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have done an informal survey about side effects from the Covid vaccine among family and friends. I and about 20 of my family/friends have had the Covid vaccine. Five have had 2 shots, 15 of us have had one shot so far. It is a mixture of Moderna and Pfizer. Most are in their 70s but I also talked to my mother age 90 and 4 of her friends of similar age who have had 2 shots.

None of us have had any bad side effects from the vaccines. From my informal survey of about 20 people these are the side effects reported:

1. Over half of us had a sore arm (me included) that last a day or so

2. Four people felt tired for a couple of days

3. One person was nauseated

4. One person ran a temperature around 100 for 12 hours

5. One person (my mother) had a flair up of rosacea (but I think it could have been from the stress of getting the shot--stress does that to her)

Overall, no or very mild side effects from 20 people. Very good news.

Last edited:
To add to your list my wife and I received our first shot of Moderna and had nothing more that a sore spot on our arms that were not much more than what you would feel from a bruise. Only a mild ache if we pushed on it.
I hope there will be a similar results after the second shot in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

No bad side effects for me after the 1st shot either.

I am a morning person but, I slept in the next morning (unusual for me, but not unheard of), and my energy level felt somewhat depleted. I also had a vague soreness in my muscles which subsided quickly. IOW, no big deal.

had #1 Pfizer, no serious side effects
Did have mild headache for two days, and felt very cold for about 3-4, especially my lower legs, bones ached from feeling chillingly cold.
No fever, no sore arm, no redness at injection site.
#2 due next week, hopefully no worse.

My wife had just a sore arm after the 1st Moderna shot, but a dull headache and fever for a day after the second. She compared notes with other co-workers and they all reported similar symptoms.

My radiologist friend has said he can see brain damage in COVID patients in addition to lung damage, so this beast is no joke. Since then I've read articles in the media saying much the same thing.

My radiologist friend has said he can see brain damage in COVID patients in addition to lung damage, so this beast is no joke. Since then I've read articles in the media saying much the same thing.

I had it in november, with bilateral pneumonia, and my breathing still doesn't feel quite the same. My lungs feel 'smaller', less capacity. Can't take as deep breath as I used to, although i am not short of breath and go for fast walks with weights with no problem.

I need to get another xray one of these days...physical scheduleld for march 5th, will probably get xray then.

Nice to know about your informal survey of vaccine side effects-lack thereof.

As vaccinations with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines continue apace, I keep an ear to the ground for serious side effects. Have been pleased that no reports of serious magnitude effects seem to be presenting. I look forward to the vaccine becoming available for age 75 and older in my state and will schedule as soon as possible when they do.

I had my first Pfizer shot last week. I had a very sore arm for about 18 hours (it didn't start until 8 hours after the shot).

I slept 11 hours the first night - very unusual. Other than those two things I had no effects.

Based on everything I've read so far, it is common to have more side effects with the second shot. If it happens that's fine - it just means it's working!

Nice to know about your informal survey of vaccine side effects-lack thereof.

As vaccinations with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines continue apace, I keep an ear to the ground for serious side effects. Have been pleased that no reports of serious magnitude effects seem to be presenting. I look forward to the vaccine becoming available for age 75 and older in my state and will schedule as soon as possible when they do.

The really good news is that in the nursing home residents in my mother's CCRC had their second shot of Moderna last week--no bad side effects for them either. And even better yet-- no new Covid cases--they had been having several new cases per week. No new cases in 3 weeks now in the nursing home. That is REALLY good news. The vaccine appears to be working in the nursing home and no bad side effects.:dance:

I had it in november, with bilateral pneumonia, and my breathing still doesn't feel quite the same. My lungs feel 'smaller', less capacity. Can't take as deep breath as I used to, although i am not short of breath and go for fast walks with weights with no problem.

I need to get another xray one of these days...physical scheduleld for march 5th, will probably get xray then.

Bobby--I wonder if there are some lung exercises your doctor can prescribe to help with lung capacity. Do you plan to get the vaccine? I keep wondering if the vaccine will help people with long term Covid problems. I kept having Shingles over and over but after I got the Shingrix vaccine, no more Shingles.

The really good news is that in the nursing home residents in my mother's CCRC had their second shot of Moderna last week--no bad side effects for them either. And even better yet-- no new Covid cases--they had been having several new cases per week. No new cases in 3 weeks now in the nursing home. That is REALLY good news. The vaccine appears to be working in the nursing home and no bad side effects.:dance:

That is very good news. I'm going in for shot 1 on Weds. Friend's DM is 10 minutes behind me and is worried that she's going to pass out.

My DW is coming with me in case she has to drive friend's DM or me (or both) home.

That is really good news!

That is very good news. I'm going in for shot 1 on Weds. Friend's DM is 10 minutes behind me and is worried that she's going to pass out.

My DW is coming with me in case she has to drive friend's DM or me (or both) home.

Why does she think she will pass out? My 90 year old mother told me she did not feel a thing when she got the shots.

So for those of you who have already received the shot(s), does this change your thinking about now being more comfortable doing things that you wouldn't do before in Covid?
One example could be flying on a plane, etc.

I guy I know who is a very healthy 50 year old said he had significant body aches after the first shot that required him to take pain killers to make it thru his 12 hour shift as an RN. After the second shot he had a upset stomach bad enough for him to have to leave work early but was fine for the next days shift.

My Dad had the first shot last week and he got lightheaded but it went away within minutes. Otherwise just a sore arm which everyone I know has reported.

So for those of you who have already received the shot(s), does this change your thinking about now being more comfortable doing things that you wouldn't do before in Covid?

That's what I am wondering also.

I myself--after I get the shots--plan to not isolate myself from humanity so much.

Bobby--I wonder if there are some lung exercises your doctor can prescribe to help with lung capacity. Do you plan to get the vaccine? I keep wondering if the vaccine will help people with long term Covid problems. I kept having Shingles over and over but after I got the Shingrix vaccine, no more Shingles.

Thanks for the follow up!

I have been working the spirometer daily which helps for sure. I read a book called 'Breath' that was very interesting and I am trying to slow my breathing down whenever I think to (and inhale through nose).

I am not in a hurry for covid vaccine, happy to relax on that since I have antibodies (also wearing masks and staying home)

I am probably gonna get pneumococcal vaccine at some point as well.

After my first Moderna shot I felt a very sore arm and fatigued for two days.

Last edited:
DW and I are due for Moderna shot #2 on Monday. After that shot has time to do it's think I will feel largely unconcerned about getting the virus. We will resume having dinners with the kids and grandkids (to the extent they feel safe from us). We also plan to reme having dinners with friends who have also been vaccinated - at home and potentially at restaurants. Routine travel will probably wait a while. We will feel safe to fly but, until the pandemic is largely suppressed, most destinations won't be fun to visit. Everyone still wearing masks, restaurants at limited capacity. We have rented a beach house this summer. If things are not near normal at the beach we can still cook dinners and ride bikes. I hope we don't need to wear masks on the beach. :)

That is good news on the 2nd shot. I had been told to expect some side effects with it. Could have been from someone who was one of the unlucky few that did experience something. I will know soon enough....get mine on Feb 12th.

I would think broader data sources would be a far better source for drawing conclusions anecdotal information.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...erna-coronavirus-vaccine-cdc-says/ar-BB1d0kV0
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report that 0.03%, or 1,266, of the more than 4 million people who have received the first dose of Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine experienced adverse events.

Of the recipients with side effects, 108 were identified for further review as severe allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis – a life-threatening allergic reaction that the CDC says can occur after a vaccination, although rarely. It typically occurs within minutes to hours.

Among the 108 instances of allergic reaction, 10 were determined to be anaphylaxis, amounting to a rate of 2.5 anaphylaxis cases per 1 million vaccine doses administered. Of the 10, it included nine people who had a previous history of anaphylaxis.

Last edited:
That's what I am wondering also.

I myself--after I get the shots--plan to not isolate myself from humanity so much.

Just remember you still might be able to spread the virus. Since you now shouldn't get sick from COVID, you'll never know if you are carrying it around. Now you really are wearing a mask to protect others!

I heard on the news today that people who have previously had Covid are more likely to have side effects to the vaccination and that there is some consideration of recommending those people only have one dose of the vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom