Goodbye to summertime :(

It feels like Fall here already (temps dropping in the 50's tonight) and I love it. Summertime, with its heat, humidity, and mosquitoes, is highly overrated.

I'm ready for a little relief from the heat. We've had more 100F++ degree days this year than we ever have, and more consecutive 100 degree days as well. We had a 3+ week streak back in June/July, and a couple of two week streaks. Usually, a hot spell for us is 4-5 days, and we get a couple or maybe three of those a summer. It was 109 yesterday, 111 today, and supposed to be 107 tomorrow. We want to San Francisco for my son in law's birthday today. Since it was supposed to be 111 here, we took the dogs, and went for a walk in Golden Gate Park. It's usually very mild in San Fran, but it was 96 in the park today, which I believe is a new record. Our Boston Terror ended up in respiratory distress...I had to carry him a quarter mile to the car because he more or less collapsed...and it came on very rapidly...he was fine, then he wasn't. Back at the car we had bottles of ice water. We cooled him off with water (both to drink and poured over him), and the car's A/C and rubbed him down with chunks of ice. He was fine after about a half hour to 45 min of cooling him off. Long story, but I'm way done with the heat this year.

I have come to prefer winter to summer in Central Texas, it is just more pleasant.

I love the changing seasons.........
Spring & Summer (April-Sept in the Midwest)
Spring & Summer (Oct-March snowbirding)

I’m contemplating what I want to do with the winter coming up.

may I suggest - ski!
Keep your legs and core strong all year round. Helps make winter something to look forward to, rather than something to get through.

Last edited:
The two seasons at my metropolitan home: HOT, and not hot.

The two seasons at my high-country boondocks home: nice, and a bit cold.

Between the two, I always have a nice place to stay.

Summer is not over in Utah yet. But it's coming. I would say fall will start just about when it's supposed to. Fall doesn't start for another two and a half weeks officially. I am ready, it's been a hot summer.

I do see a few, but very few leaves on the ground. A week ago, I didn't see any , so it's in the beginning stages of change.

I’ve had the best summer of my 55 years! My contract ended 6/28 and I have not looked back. I’m probably in the honeymoon phase of ER so it’s still a bit new.

+1. 5 months so far for me. Have barely had a dull moment, with a lot of travel. Got several accumulated projects done around the house as well. It will probably slack off after New Year's. I'll see what it is like then.

An unusual summer. Harvey cooled things off in Central Texas, but it's back to the mid-90's now. So we moved to Mexico and it's 10-15 degrees *cooler* here! However, at a mile high it's not the ambient temperature that gets you, it's the UV rays. Both of us got a bit overexposed yesterday. ugh

A friend retired a couple years ago and is into biking... bikes almost year round even here in VT... once we have snow he gets out his fat tire bike and uses that... I've even seen him riding it on the lake once the lake is iced over.

Last edited:
A friend retired a couple years ago and is into biking... bikes almost year round even here in VT... once we have snow he get out his fat tire bike and uses that... I've even seen him riding it on lake once the lake is iced over.

Biking is a great activity for us as we age. For starters it's usually good for the knees.

Hmmm.... maybe I need to add a fat tire bike to my toys.

Weather near me is warmer than normal, but I am sure Autumn is not far away. Still it's nice to be able to enjoy a few more sunny days while the 'little darlings' are in school.

Our Scottish relatives tell us that there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing.

We were walking through the hills behind us yesterday and noticed the first signs of Fall, with a few leaves turning red on the trees and the bracken starting to brown.

Wow under 80 ! Ha :)
Great to hear your perspective as we are planning to relocate South.

I did a double take... Sheesh... am over 80, and don't go to Florida any more...
Then I realized... 80 degrees... :facepalm: (I don't know how to do the degree symbol) Hah!

Anyway... This has been and still is a great summer... and I'll extend it thru to October TGLW... Woodhaven Lakes has been fabulous. A half hour away from my home in Peru, Il... Spending about three days a week, fixing up and tending to my camp, fixin the sea wall, and mowing, trimming and repairing the ravages of the past 27 years that we've owned it. In between time, keeping the feeders filled, (nearing 40 species of birds catalogued ), and most of the time, biking (no more hills), paddleboating... (rebuilt that old 1967 pontoon boat), canoeing, mostly in the evenings when the wind goes down, fishing (very little), and playing granddad for the neighborhood kids, catching frogs and eating marshmallows and larnin' them how to canoe.

No internet, and the TV is chancy... the few channels I can get are in Iowa, and dependent on weather. During a normal summer week, attendance at the campground is about 1000 persons, weekends, maybe 4-5,000 and this labor day weekend, as many as 15,000 to 17,000. Sounds like a lot? It's the worlds largest family campground...6200 sites, 7 lakes and tons of activities. Early in our retirement, we lived at Wh for 6 months.

Back to summer... never too warm... didn't turn on the A/C once, and very little daytime rain. Nights perfect for sleeping. Maybe the best summer ever.

What 6200 campsites looks like from the air...

Attachments

• Woodhaven Lakes.jpg
    Woodhaven Lakes.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I love the seasons in Vancouver other than the stretches of rainy days in the fall and winter, which unfortunately is sometimes frequent. It's beautiful when it's clear.

54 degrees here, WNC early morning. Found a nice gravel road through the reservation off the BRP yesterday. It will be really pretty the 3rd week in October. We get a lot of halfbacks here, folks who moved to FL and then moved here to get away from the heat and humidity. September, October and November are my favorite months. Another benefit here is not much effect from hurricanes. I remember Katrina well.

So ready for cooler Fall temps. May be 103 today, very unusual for us, with poor, hazy air quality due to fires.
Fall is normally my favorite time of year

Hoping that fall weather will clear out the forest fire smoke that settles in the valley every summer and cool the temperatures down from the upper 90s.

Our weather is just like Pacergirls. I am totally sick of it. We broke all kinds of records. Going on a cruise Sunday to the east coast and then to canada and Nova Scotia so should be cooler.

I did my monthly check of tire pressures on the vehicles this morning, all were ~4 lbs psi low because of the lower temperatures, ~ 60° F. Gloom. This portends even colder temperatures in the near future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom