Consumer Cellular in the slow lane?

pdxgal

Recycles dryer sheets
Wanted to share a recent unplanned experiment using Consumer Cellular, since the topic comes up on ER every so often.

My friend and I were out for a drive in the country near Portland. We stopped to check GPS directions with our data service (wifi turned off). We have identical phones (iPhone SE 2nd gen). We both are using the TMobile network. We both showed good cell coverage (3 bars). We both used the Google Maps app. However, her phone was able to get directions quickly, whereas my phone just stalled ("loading..."). Only difference I could think of was that she is a TMobile customer, whereas I'm with Consumer Cellular.

My understanding is that "secondary" carriers like CC can offer cheaper rates because while they use the same networks as AT&T, TMobile, etc. they effectively are put into the "slow lane" in terms of speed. This experience with my friend seemed to confirm that. I'd had similar issues recently but thought maybe I just was out of range or something.

FWIW I will say that when I was on the AT&T network with CC the service seemed better, so I will switch back and see how things go (got a TMobile SIM earlier this year when I went to Europe, since apparently AT&T SIM doesn't work there with CC). If I still have issues, I'll probably try another carrier, as it's no use having cell service if it doesn't work reliably even where there's coverage.

Are you sure CC uses T-mobile?

MVNO data is typically capped at a slower speed.

Did your phone fail to load or just load slower? If you weren't racing, would it have mattered?

We are on Mint Mobile. A T-mobile MVNO. Speeds are good enough. It would be 2x to be on full T-mobile. Just not worth it.

My understanding is that "secondary" carriers like CC can offer cheaper rates because while they use the same networks as AT&T, TMobile, etc. they effectively are put into the "slow lane" in terms of speed.

I think a slower speed for a subsidiary may be dependent on a number of factors, and may not be in place for some carriers.

One of my daughters has AT&T service through her work. I have Cricket (an AT&T MVNO) and we've compared speeds at various times and travel locations over the past several years. I've found no difference at all in my Cricket speed vs her AT&T service.

My understanding is that "secondary" carriers like CC can offer cheaper rates because while they use the same networks as AT&T, TMobile, etc. they effectively are put into the "slow lane" in terms of speed. This experience with my friend seemed to confirm that. I'd had similar issues recently but thought maybe I just was out of range or something.

You are correct. Some of the secondary carriers don't "throttle" speeds but most do.

Are you sure CC uses T-mobile?

MVNO data is typically capped at a slower speed.

Did your phone fail to load or just load slower? If you weren't racing, would it have mattered?

We are on Mint Mobile. A T-mobile MVNO. Speeds are good enough. It would be 2x to be on full T-mobile. Just not worth it.

Well, it's a T-Mobile SIM card, so presumably on the T-Mobile network, no?

In this instance the phone failed to load. Other times it loads slower, sometimes not at all. Enough of the latter that's it's problematic. And yes, it matters. If I'd broken down or had an accident in that same spot, I wouldn't have been able to call. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a cell phone.

I think the T-Mobile isn't as good as AT&T in my area so hopefully when I switch back to the AT&T SIM card my data service will improve.

The phone is only a year old and good quality (iPhone). And my friend has the same phone, yet hers worked OK. Really think it's the network slowness. Anyway, I just called CC and activated the AT&T SIM card, so fingers crossed the data service will be better now.

Back
Top Bottom