Got myself into a sticky wicket

Wait, is there any way to make the job what you want? The worst they could do is fire you!

you don't need the money, you dont like the job, and have you considered the fact being single, what your tax amount is going to be... Higher tax bracket, and more of your ss taxed:confused:??

I would give notice, and enjoy life.

+1

life is too short to spend your days working at a job you hate…. Especially since you don’t have to do it

++1

Wait, is there any way to make the job what you want? The worst they could do is fire you!

That’s actually what I was hoping for when I took the job. There’s really no way to morph it into something else as it is intertwined with several other people and duties.
It’s a grueling schedule of sometimes over 40 hours a week!
To top it off, they want people to start going into the office which is more than an hour commute for me, attend meetings in person that start at 8 am. I’d have to get up at 4:30 am just to get there on time. I am not a morning person.
The negatives really outweigh the only positive- which is the money.

So it sounds like you have your answer. Negatives>Positives.
Re-Retire and enjoy life again on your terms! :)

Dealbreaker. That commute really wore me out when I was in my 40's. Today it would exhaust me.

Right:confused:
I commuted 40 minutes one way for 10 years but it was an easy commute. Gave that up at 57 because it was just getting exhausting.
The commute with this job would be heavy traffic and searching for parking. Not happening.

I retired at the end of December. I get a pension and SSA that more than covers my monthly expenses and normal maintenance/emergencies. I also have a 457b account that I don’t plan on using unless it becomes necessary.
You took the job for the money, which you don't need. Why? Sure, some buffer and some luxuries would be nice, but what about time? You're guaranteed to run out of time, why waste it doing something you don't like?

I only do j*bs I hate for free - not for money. I hate painting and I hate moving. No way would I do these for money. But when friends have needed help with these disagreeable (to me) j*bs I have been first to volunteer. YMMV

That’s actually what I was hoping for when I took the job. There’s really no way to morph it into something else as it is intertwined with several other people and duties.
To top it off, they want people to start going into the office which is more than an hour commute for me, attend meetings in person that start at 8 am. I’d have to get up at 4:30 am just to get there on time. I am not a morning person.

You convinced me! Time for a graceful exit.

I think that your graceful exit is to tell them that six weeks into the job that you're finding that the job isn't your cup of tea and that the commute is a deal killer so you are resigning. Give them two weeks notice but tell them that you'll leave sooner if they wish. That's it.

I think that your graceful exit is to tell them that six weeks into the job that you're finding that the job isn't your cup of tea and that the commute is a deal killer so you are resigning. Give them two weeks notice but tell them that you'll leave sooner if they wish. That's it.

This is perfect! Thanks.
Especially since my sister says I can’t just ghost them. [emoji12]

I only do j*bs I hate for free - not for money. I hate painting and I hate moving. No way would I do these for money. But when friends have needed help with these disagreeable (to me) j*bs I have been first to volunteer. YMMV

Seriously! I mean I won’t ever see any of these people again. Why torture myself.

Seriously! I mean I won’t ever see any of these people again. Why torture myself.

Oh, I agree. Not suggesting you stay. My situation points out that I now only do disagreeable j*bs for people I love - but not for money. No amount of money (that you don't need) is worth doing something you hate IMHO. Life is too short but YMMV.

How to Beat the Sticky Wicket

A friend of mine retired on 12/31/21 from the employer I had retired from on 12/31/20.

She was really enjoying the freedom, and the fact that her time was all hers. She told me she was really relieved to finally leave behind the stress of the job; stress which had been increasing greatly over the past several years.

A week ago she texted me to say the employer had asked her if she was interested in returning short-term (3-6 months) as a contractor, because they were having trouble getting their remaining employees to carry the work load.

She was considering it, but said just the thought of returning stressed her out terribly. I pointed out that the employer's issue with getting the work done was not her problem. I also recommended that she quote them a very high figure if she decided to go back, because they should make it worth her while.

She texted me a couple of days ago to say they wouldn't meet her figure. She was relieved, and has resumed enjoying retirement. :D

So beware, recent retirees: the Sticky Wicket is out there and might pounce when you least expect it. :LOL:

Long commute combined with an early start? Oh, hell no! :LOL:

A friend of mine retired on 12/31/21 from the employer I had retired from on 12/31/20.

She was really enjoying the freedom, and the fact that her time was all hers. She told me she was really relieved to finally leave behind the stress of the job; stress which had been increasing greatly over the past several years.

A week ago she texted me to say the employer had asked her if she was interested in returning short-term (3-6 months) as a contractor, because they were having trouble getting their remaining employees to carry the work load.

She was considering it, but said just the thought of returning stressed her out terribly. I pointed out that the employer's issue with getting the work done was not her problem. I also recommended that she quote them a very high figure if she decided to go back, because they should make it worth her while.

She texted me a couple of days ago to say they wouldn't meet her figure. She was relieved, and has resumed enjoying retirement. :D

So beware, recent retirees: the Sticky Wicket is out there and might pounce when you least expect it. :LOL:

I have always remembered that my dad retired in the 1970s and somebody wanted him to do one last job for him. He was an architect. He did not want the job. He quoted them $80/hour which was a lot of money, sure they would say no. They said yes, and he did the job.

It could have gone either way for my friend, I suppose, but the organization notoriously tries to get people on the cheap. By the time they realize "you get what you pay for" they're in a real pickle. :facepalm::facepalm:

I retired at the end of December. I get a pension and SSA that more than covers my monthly expenses and normal maintenance/emergencies. I also have a 457b account that I don’t plan on using unless it becomes necessary.

So, my problem? I was offered a job making a lot of money on top of my pension. I’m single and this is the first time I have had what equates to 2 incomes.
The money is great. The job-I hate. I don’t like it at all. I also adapted to being retired really well. I like being able to do what I want during the week and not cramming everything in on the weekends. I’m tired of rushing around.
Maybe if I liked the work I would feel differently. But here I am in this spot of needing to either quit or figure this job out.
I feel guilty about leaving people high and dry but not enough to stay.
Any words of wisdom or kick in the pants you would like to say will actually be appreciated!

I think this is more of a PSA post- don’t be me. Once retired stay that way.

Quit.

So, my problem? I was offered a job making a lot of money on top of my pension. I’m single and this is the first time I have had what equates to 2 incomes.
The money is great. The job-I hate. I don’t like it at all. I also adapted to being retired really well. I like being able to do what I want during the week and not cramming everything in on the weekends. I’m tired of rushing around.
Maybe if I liked the work I would feel differently. But here I am in this spot of needing to either quit or figure this job out.
Any words of wisdom or kick in the pants you would like to say will actually be appreciated!

Retire if you are comfortable with pension and SS. I retired and went back to work at 62. Retired again at 66. Also single. Live in a del Webb now and love it. My SS and pension are plenty. Swim play pool golf several clubs. Love it

Here is the key thing you wrote:

The job-I hate.

That's all I need to know, already knowing of course you have "a pension and SSA that more than covers my monthly expenses and normal maintenance/emergencies."

QUITE NOW!
NOT TOMORROW, NOT AFTER BREAKFAST,
NOW.

This is really such an easy call. You have the money and you hate your job. There is more to life than work. Enjoy it while it lasts, cause it never does.

P.S. And the company will be *just fine* without you. Believe me, no one is indispensable.

I have always remembered that my dad retired in the 1970s and somebody wanted him to do one last job for him. He was an architect. He did not want the job. He quoted them $80/hour which was a lot of money, sure they would say no. They said yes, and he did the job.

DW left a job to retire early. She was in accounting. Near the end of that year, they asked her if she would work as a contractor to do the year-end closing. She thought about it and decided to give them a 2.5x her last salary. We figured ~ 1.75 of that was what their cost with benefits. Not to mention it was the worst part of the year to be working with the holidays. Fortunately they did not accept her conditions. Later, DW was talking to one of her ex-coworkers. The boss had said something to the effect of "See if she gets a good job recommendation from me!" To which the coworker replied to him" She doesn't need one. She's retired." Some people just don't understand FIRE.

OP, leave now before you have time to talk yourself into staying longer. You don't need them. They will find someone else. Life goes on for both you and the company. You will thank us in a few months.

If you have all the money/income streams that you need in retirement, it means any additional work is just to make your kids richer. In other words, you are essentially working for nothing because you will not benefit from it.

The jobs I had often had a “probation” period built in. That can work both ways.

It could have gone either way for my friend, I suppose, but the organization notoriously tries to get people on the cheap. By the time they realize "you get what you pay for" they're in a real pickle. :facepalm::facepalm:

If only that were always true. In my experience, many organizations are full of senior folks who, for whatever reason/history they have, are over-compensated vs their current contribution level. I'm a strong believer in NOT paying for seniority but exclusively current performance.

Last edited:
What a wonderful position you are in. You have the $, you have a job you hate. Take the exit. As others have said, don’t prolong it. The company will be fine.

As a manager who has hired hundreds, when people leave (or maybe encouraged to leave), I often miss the human being: that particular person may not be replaceable, and I miss their style, sense of humor or whatever made them a unique person, but I can always hire someone else to do their role.

Back
Top Bottom