Guns and hand tremors

Common loads for shotguns that are worthy of considering for defensive purposes will penetrate drywall easily.

Informal "test" below.

Box of Truth Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls

Excellent point, and the link was to a valid enough test. I should have said, “errant pellets aren’t AS likely to pierce walls as a stabilized, solid-nosed bullet”. Lots of qualifiers and exceptions for hollow points and such. and the shooter is legally and morally responsible for the trajectory of every pellet or bullet fired from her weapon.

I don’t advocate anything larger than #1 buck for home defense. I’m curious how many sheets of gypsum that would penetrate, but safe to assume at least two.

I don’t advocate anything larger than #1 buck for home defense. I’m curious how many sheets of gypsum that would penetrate, but safe to assume at least two.
Depends on the range (distance). I can tell you at close range, a 12ga with 00 buck will snap a 2x4 like a toothpick.

Last edited:
I’m impressed by the number of Taurus Judge owners on this thread. I had seriously considered getting a Raging Judge (what a name!) for DB after he finished law school, but figured it was sort of a novelty. I figured the rifled barrel would spin the shotwad and you’d get pellets all over the place. That’s been my experience with snake shot in a .22lr carbine.

So for you Judge owners, at what range do all the pellets stay on a silhouette target? 20ft? 50? I’m super curious. And I suppose they’ve made better 410 shells for the Judge since I last looked into it.

I’m impressed by the number of Taurus Judge owners on this thread. I had seriously considered getting a Raging Judge (what a name!) for DB after he finished law school, but figured it was sort of a novelty. I figured the rifled barrel would spin the shotwad and you’d get pellets all over the place. That’s been my experience with snake shot in a .22lr carbine.

So for you Judge owners, at what range do all the pellets stay on a silhouette target? 20ft? 50? I’m super curious. And I suppose they’ve made better 410 shells for the Judge since I last looked into it.
I've never owned (or even seen) a Raging Judge. I've read it's chambered for the 454 Casull (more powerful than a 44 mag) and it's a much bigger handgun.

Anyway, the rifle twist in a Judge is lighter than in a normal handgun. Which probably is going to affect the accuracy if you are shooting 45 Colt's in it, but doesn't seem to bother the 410 shotshells spread, IMO. I tested some 2.5 410's in #4's and #6's and the patterns looked "reasonable" to me at 12 to 15 feet. I didn't measure the spread but it works for me when shooting snakes at that range.

Another tidbit of info, I understand the "barrel rifling" in the Judge allows it to get around the US federal law that requires a shotgun barrel to be at least 18 inches long.

And to get back on topic a little, my hands shake when I see a snake. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom