Had a Visitor a Week Ago last Sunday!

MikeD

Full time employment: Posting here.
We live in the country. The 'snow' on the ground in the videos is wet leaves and grass and gravel reflecting the incandescent lights and the night-vision light from the Ring DoorBell camera.

I heard bears forage up to 20 hours per day just before going into hibernation.

He (I think) was climbing trees and trying to get to the bird feeders that we hung from a cable and body slamming the garage doors trying to get at the garbage. We were quite alarmed and pretty scared. His feet are huge. He was out circling our house for about ten minutes. He was really persistent. The video was from our Ring Doorbell.

https://ring.com/share/6620194961500621995

https://ring.com/share/6620197177703746731

wow, great video . I think I would be a bit frightened if he was around my house, too!

OMG, how terrifying!! Especially when he got up on your porch like that. Terrific video, by the way. Hope you do not go outside near your house at night without some protection.

Awesome. They're are very persistent animals and smart. Occasionally we hear about someone who left their garage door open and had a garage freezer or food in their cars.

Hope you keep a few bear sprays handy around the house/cars.

It's a wonder he didn't steal your car!

Great video. I'm glad you take bears seriously. Just since the end of the summer I've heard of two bear attack news stories near the Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park:
1. In North Carolina, in an area where people rent mountain lodging a woman was walking her small dog at 10:30pm. She came across bears scavenging thru garbage cans and yelled at them and her dog began to bark. Unfortunately, the two bears were actually older cubs. Momma bear appeared and proceeded to attack the woman. She was hurt, but not killed.
2. In the National Park, a half mile from Cades Cove, two men decided to go illegally poach some Ginseng. I would guess finding Ginseng requires a good amount of searching. The two men split up with plans to meet up later. One man never returned. Park Rangers searched and found the man dead, with a very agitated bear nearby. The way the news phrased it was that the body had clearly been "scavenged upon by a bear" and "human DNA was found on the bear".

Last edited:
My folks had a summer resort and the bears, deer etc would come down to the lake to drink at about 4 am. If a light came on in a cabin they would run away. As we encroach on their territory they are getting used to us. Never once in 14 years did a bear try to get into anyone’s cabin or car.

In Cades Cove, bears run around all the time, often amongst tourists. I've seen two of them climb 40' trees in a matter of seconds putting on a show for tourists.

At our campground in North Georgia mountains, we have two bear families come through just about every night. We left our electric cooler outside one night and a big momma bear swatted it with her paw--and ate the bacon and butter in it. They're scared of any yapping dog--even the little ones.

Eeeeek! We have coyotes in the city but nothing like this. I’ll bet burglaries are rare!

I like it! LOL

Someone in our city in west Texas posted a ring video. She kept getting notifications at work and it was a rat snake crawling all around the camera. She posted on Facebook for someone to please go to her house and remove the snake, because she was terrified of them.

Love our Ring doorbell & camera. Try talking to the bear. We scare the neighbors cat that way

Back
Top Bottom