Haiti as a prelude to Armageddon

We've discussed the 'shelter in place' and 'food storage' many times here after simple disasters. I was trying to get this thread to go to the Apocalypse and Armageddon stage of disasters like Tom Cruise in the modern "War of the Worlds" with massive movement of humanity out of the disaster region.

Do you have plans to leave? Where would you go? How would you get there with roads damaged or blocked?
If my house was still standing, I would stay home as long as possible. If my home was destroyed, I'd walk to our City Hall or Police Department. If those buildings were destroyed, I guess I'd be SOL.

My biggest fear is not being able to connect with loved ones during/after a disaster. We have some guidelines set up but need to make our plans much more bullet proof.

Sometime after the tragedies of 9/11 and then Katrina, we came up with a place to meet if we should become separated during a disaster. I also went out and bought a second cat carrier (had two cats at the time) because I realized that during an evacuation, I'd have to take both cats out at once. Before that I had just one because I would take them to the vet on separate occasions.

We keep a good supply of food and water on hand, but that's really just for any type of unusual situation - even a big snowstorm or multi-day power outage.

Sometime after the tragedies of 9/11 and then Katrina, we came up with a place to meet if we should become separated during a disaster.

We've got that, but with my son and the grand kids 20 miles away we're close enough to be involved in the same disaster but far enough apart that it might be impossible or dangerous to try to physically get together.

I have set up a 2 way vhf radio at his house, battery operated, that easily spans the distance. And we have hand held 2 ways good for a few miles if we're trying to find each other on the move. Other than that, not sure what else we can do.

We usually keep probably 2 weeks worth of food on hand, and we can easily walk to dozens of grocery stores, big box retailers, restaurants, etc.

Water may be a bigger issue. If it was winter-time and the disaster was an ice storm, water would be available. Hurricane related water absenses? Maybe collect rainwater. In laws 2 miles away (we can walk it and it's only 1.5 miles) have well water, so if we could rig up the well with electric, we'd have water there. They also have probably 50 gal of drinkable water for their water cooler. And tons of food.

Try to get gas before a known coming disaster (hurricane/winter event).

Getting a gun is about the only thing we could do to improve our survivability in the event of a disaster.

It seems gold/silver wouldn't really help in a Haiti-type disaster (or a Katrina). Cash or barter would work better.

We live in the city, so information shouldn't be too scarce. I would probably try walking a block down the street to see if McDonald's or Starbucks or big box retail survived the apocalypse and jump on their wifi for info seeking. Or find someone with a wireless broadband card. SMS texts usually work best in an emergency if all else fails.

If I had to, I could walk to downtown in about 1.5 hours and stop by the state's administrative buildings, city hall, police dept etc to check up on things. Or walk to local police/fire within 30 minutes walk. Roving bands of bandits and looters could be a problem.

After each extended power failure, folks with lots of food in freezers chuck it all. Or they go on the "buy a generator" kick (see the thread on that). I want to say stockpiling is detrimental to your health. It makes you think you can stay when you should go. Better to not stockpile more than a few days (i.e. what you already do with a weekly shopping list and schedule) and just bail after that.

In the Apocalypse scenario all the grocery stores are gone and the restaurants are destroyed. Before Ike shut things down here, the non-perishable items were sold out in the stores, so after Ike hit, the stores had nothing (including no electricity and no workers to man the stores) anyways.

One could stay in their home and camp out, but the reality would be that there are nicer places to go in a total disaster if you plan ahead.

Frank and I saw everything, too much, in the days following Katrina here in New Orleans. It was worse than the worst disaster movie you have ever seen, and impossible to describe completely to those who weren't living here and also present here during those dark days. The destruction and misery was beyond my capacity to articulate.

W2R, how awful for you. I wasn't a member of this board at the time, so perhaps you've spoken of this before - but were you able to evacuate before the hurricane? Did you have to rebuild your home? Watching the news coverage of Haiti now reminds me a lot of watching the news coverage of New Orleans after Katrina. I imagine the devastation is magnified many times over when you're actually there.

W2R, how awful for you. I wasn't a member of this board at the time, so perhaps you've spoken of this before - but were you able to evacuate before the hurricane? Did you have to rebuild your home? Watching the news coverage of Haiti now reminds me a lot of watching the news coverage of New Orleans after Katrina. I imagine the devastation is magnified many times over when you're actually there.

I wasn't going to evacuate, but left the day before landfall with Frank (leaving my car at home in my driveway. :facepalm: ). And thank goodness we did leave. We watched it from a motel in Huntsville. We sneaked back in later that week, before we were permitted to return. We experienced some damage but were fortunate that we did not have to completely rebuild. However the damage to our community was (in my opinion/experience) nightmarish, far worse than what you saw on CNN. I have made a practice of not discussing it on the message board because (a) in Frank and my opinion if you weren't there, you just can't know how truly bad it was, and (b) discussions about it have the potential to get really political REALLY fast.

Edited to add: I guess there is one thing I will say. We would all like to be able to take control and triumph after adversity. After all, that is what we are brought up to do and expect. That is what the "good guy" in the book always manages to do in the end, right? But no matter how much you prepare there can be catastrophes of such magnitude that all your preparations are in vain and even seem ridiculous. If you believe in God, that can be a comfort. Wish I did, sometimes.

Last edited:
If the roads were damaged or blocked when I lived in Houston, I guess I'd be stuck. I have no helicopter, no boat and probably no airplanes would be taking off. The smart thing, of course, is go a little ahead of the crowd to Dallas as best I'm assuming.

When I lived in Houston, more than hurricanes and tornadoes, I was afraid of terrorist bombings/attacks. For quite awhile after the Arab-Israeli televised war (early 90's), Houston would have terrorist attack warnings every single holiday (Xmas, Easter, July 4th, etc.). Always made me on pins and needles during that time--especially because they inferred it might be around the Galleria area, and I lived 7 minutes by car from there. Scary!

Seeing Ha's vision of Seattle in an earthquake, I am going to stay right here in AZ.

Ha lives in Seattle the same way W2R lived in NO, but his odds are better. There are way more hurricanes in NO than killer earthquakes in Seattle.

W2R is right. Planning is great but it only gets you so far. Some days you gets the bear, and some days the bear gets you. :(

But planning does pay off. In Baton Rouge and Houston, we lived on high ground and that payed off many times.

We do include earthquakes, volcanos, tornados and hurricanes in our planning. Them we can handle. A deep recession is harder.

Hey...the answer has been here all along...I'll look for Tom Cruise!

A couple of my buddies were mobilized to New Orleans after the hurricane. They said it was like some crazy Mad Max movie. They were all geared up for combat, locked and loaded, patrolling the streets of a major city. Said it was very surreal.

If you get a firearm, train everyone in the house how to use it and teach firearm safety. I grew up with them, been shooting since I was in cub scouts. Don't think that happens much anymore, so people just are not exposed to firearms and don't learn the respect and discipline necessary to use them safely.

I try to keep a good pile of ammo, and am building up some canned goods. But, if my house collapsed or burnt down, I guess I'd be SOL since all my stuff is in the basement.

Others have far more experience/expertise than I in this area, but one thing I haven't yet seen mentioned is cash. During the Great Northeast Power Outage of July 2003, I was stuck in Manhattan with no cash and no way to get any, because the ATM's didn't work. If I had cash, I could have hired a guy to drive me out of town instead of waiting until the power came back on a day later. So I now keep a couple hundred dollars in the emergency kit just in case.

Reactions: W2R
.....BTW....I'm still waiting to hear word about Haitian friend and his family in the Port Au Prince area......I 'think' he was out in the countryside when the quake happened...but I'm not positive. :confused:

Well......Finally got word on my friend and his family!!! They are all doing OK! They were, and still are, in Leogane which is about 15 miles or so WSW of Port au Prince.....only a couple of miles from the epicenter of the initial quake. Quite a bit of damage, but it sounds like most folks are reasonably OK...considering everything.

He is now in daily contact with another friend of mine here in the States, who was a full time missionary down there for MANY years, and just returned this past week from a stint in China. Our friend here in the States has already raised a very large amount of money, that is going directly down to Haiti to pay for food, water, other supplies, and of course shelter! Our Haitian friends are working very hard to provide food and shelter for as many of the homeless as possible, and to rebuild and repair the school and the church which both serve the entire area. They've certainly got their work cut out for them!

I'd like to be able to go back down there to help out, but I'd probably be more of a hindrance than a help....so I'll just keep making monetary donations, and stay the heck outta the way! :blush:

As my friend that's raising funds told me today, "Nearly $10,000 raised for Haiti relief today. That's a lot of beans and rice!" :)

I heard an amazing stat today while watching one of the AM shows on TV. If I understood it correctly, there were 360,000 orphans in Haiti prior to the earthquake. No telling how many are there now. Wow!

Haiti has made me realize that all of our preparations (currently a 72-hour kit and small amount of cash, with plans to have 3 weeks of food and water, more cash, communications equipment, a better medical kit and a neighborhood association set up) might not matter. Our biggest natural disaster risk (aside from wildfire) is earthquake; that one gives no warning and can destroy the infrastructure of a city in seconds. So what if we have a massive earthquake (entirely possible) and the majority or all of our preparedness gear is trapped in our collapsed building? What does that leave us with?

In that sort of scenario, the assets I'll have (assuming I survive, of course) are the knowledge in my head and my ability to use it. So I'm working on acquiring more knowledge. For example, I need to re-take the Red Cross First Aid and CPR classes. I'll probably also take Community Emergency Response Training (CERT) here locally. We've located a local, natural, year-round source of water (not potable water, but I'm figuring out how we could make it potable if we had no access to filters, bleach, etc.) In my walks around the neighborhood with the kids, I try to pay attention to my surroundings. Those neighbors with the huge trucks with Canine Search-and-Rescue bumper stickers and CB antennae? Noted. They could help located and dig people out of the rubble. The guy who occasionally comes home with his ambulance crew to grab his lunch? Noted. We might need a paramedic if the Big One hits. The location of power lines (and more importantly, the areas where they aren't) -- noted. If the lines are down and I need to go somewhere, I'll know how to get where I'm going without having to dance over live lines. I know where the only five pay phones in our neighborhood are, in case cell towers are knocked out. Our neighborhood happens to have a centrally-located school with large grounds and an adjacent city park; that's the place that I'd recommend for a mass feeding / shelter / field hospital location. With my training and background, I can organize and run mass feeding and sanitation for a lot of people, and so I've looked at that location and thought about where we'd put the latrines, the kitchen, the water, etc. This assumes that I'd be involved with the planning and organization of a localized relief effort, but the odds are good that in a huge disaster that's the sort of thing that might make a real difference -- having help and organization from within, since that without is likely to take a long time to come.

I hope that if something awful happens, we're OK and can leave (to my MIL's, most likely), but if we can't get out and the town is toast, I'd like to think that by identifying resources and investing in some personal training, I'd be able to help both my family and my neighborhood cope.

And as far as personal safety -- we've decided not to have firearms in the house, but bear spray is another thing entirely. It's also useful when walking the dog. ;)

Your planning is very impressive, Urchina.

Back to Haiti, I wonder how much rescuers are thinking about possible exposure to AIDS? Haiti is where it all began.

I'd worry less about AIDS than I would malaria, dengue, or cholera. Basic universal precautions (gloves, face shields, care with needles) will greatly reduce your chances of HIV exposure, and rapid antiretroviral treatment after accidental blood exposure will help prevent active infection. Cholera? That stuff can kill you in 24 hours, and current conditions in Haiti are exactly right for a huge outbreak.

A few specific school buildings in our area are already designated as Red Cross evacuation shelters for folks closer to the coast than us. This means that they will have on hand bottled water and blankets for folks fleeing from an impending hurricane. I think the state and local government officials can decide when to open such shelters and announce there locations. They have been used a number of times already.

In essence, the state procedure is that folks evacuating from specific ZIP codes are supposed to go to pre-designated shelters/centers. You are supposed to know where your pre-designated shelter is before disaster hits you.

Good reads, appropriate to this thread:

1. Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
2. One Second After, by William Fortschen
3. Lucifers Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

The greatest threat for us here in CA is fire, not earthquakes - in my opinion. It can move swiftly, profoundly, and without much warning; it strikes every year. We make sure that the land is free of ladder (for the fire) material, and clear all brush from within 100 feet of the house.

I think that the greatest security is in community planning, meeting and knowing our neighbors, and having a family plan. In our county, there are those of us who are stockpiling food - just in case the food trucks aren't, for some reason running.

Your planning is very impressive, Urchina.

Back to Haiti, I wonder how much rescuers are thinking about possible exposure to AIDS? Haiti is where it all began.

DD told me yesterday that one of her classmates was in Haiti working for the Centers for Disease Control re AIDS. She's missing :( .

We went about a week with out power after an ice storm in Dec 08. Learned that a generator and decent fuel supply are key.

If the near by nuke plant popped or a Cat 5 hit near by ... we'ld push inland; go to the lake. Hopefully I'll have installed a Gaurdian generator by then ... otherwise the 5000 watt gas powered generator will have to suffice.

On the gun front, I keep a 12 gauge and a box of shells. But I'ld be no match for the locals (they shoot the eyes out of small game). Haven't fired the thing in probably 10 years.

(In the plains of Texas farther north, the tornado risk is MUCH higher.)

I concur (I lived/was stationed in Lubbock for a bit back in the late 60's) :whistle:

We had a few smaller one's in the area in 1967/68 when I was there. At least I missed the F5 in 1970 (26 killed). At that time I lived/was stationed in the Florida Panhandle.

Back
Top Bottom