Medigap part G high deductible Florida users

I’m having some trouble finding carriers that offer the plan G high deductible option in Florida. Any Florida retirees have such a plan and can you share the name of the provider and are you happy with your choice?

Well, it was available from AARP United Healthcare in Central FL when I signed up in late 2023 (for an early 2024 start) but I chose Plan N. I signed up directly with them. 1-866-866-8993. I'm going to try to attach the rate sheet for Central Florida, non-smoker, female.

Attachments

• AARP UHC Supplement Rates Female Non-Smoker Central Florida.pdf
    594.8 KB · Views: 12
I have United American (UA) Plan G HD for two years now. I live in Marion County, Florida. I am quite satisfied. I also use their savings plan (technically Reserve Fund Annuity) which automatically pays the deductibles for you to provide a seamless experience. It pays 3% interest which isn’t a bad deal since you don’t have the hassle of dealing with the deductibles. Several friends have this same plan and are also satisfied. I understand that if I develop major health problems I may pay more if/when I meet the HD deductible. I’ve had a HD plan since retiring at 58 (ACA) and now Medigap at 65. HD has saved me quite a bit in premiums paid as well as accumulating a nice HSA balance before Medicare.
A resident in our community is an independent health insurance agent and enrolled me in this plan. This was his recommendation and is the same plan he and his wife have. He certainly could have recommended one of many other plans including Advantage plans which would have made him more money.
I can share his contact info if you’d like to PM me.

Thank you so much for sharing. This is the plan I was hoping to find more info on. What did you mean by saying

“I understand that if I develop major health problems I may pay more if/when I meet the HD deductible.”

I thought with the HD plan, once you meet the maximum out of pocket for the year ($2800) you are covered at 100%. How will you pay more if you’ve met the annual HD deductible?

Remember - the deductible is only on the 20% not covered by Medicare B.

You have a guaranteed savings of $1452 / year if you don't use the deductible. ((168-47)*12)

My husband is on a HD F, and has yet to hit his deductible in 7 years... even with MRIs. He paid $76.33 total in deductible last year. And paid $12 for his portion of a MRI this year.... He's got a biopsy next month - we'll see what that is... but remember - it's only on the 20% not covered by B.

I remember it was hard to fully get that difference when I was helping him choose a plan. REwahoo pointed out that B covered most stuff 80% and the deductible was only on a small portion of the total bill. It's been a good decision for us.

(I have 2.5 years till I qualify for medicare... but at this point I'm looking at a HD plan G)

Rodi, thanks so much for this information. I have a regular G plan that’s expensive and it raises significantly every year. Because I am a state retiree I have to choose my plan through via benefits.

I thought the deductible was on both Medicare part B and the supplement. Now that I know it’s on the supplement only that’s definitely an easy choice as it would be difficult to meet the deductible. I can choose a plan that is lower due to the birthday rule in July. I’m going to look and see how much money I can save.

Thank you so much for sharing. This is the plan I was hoping to find more info on. What did you mean by saying

“I understand that if I develop major health problems I may pay more if/when I meet the HD deductible.”

I thought with the HD plan, once you meet the maximum out of pocket for the year ($2800) you are covered at 100%. How will you pay more if you’ve met the annual HD deductible?

I just meant that if I incurred much higher medical expenses and did hit the max out of pocket, $2800, I would have paid more with a G HD plan (G HD premiums + max out of pocket) than with a regular G plan (G premiums only).

I looked at my Medicare numbers just now: So far 21 months on Medicare with G HD plan. I have payed about $2800 less in premiums (G HD vs G). I have paid $368 in Part B deductibles which all G plans have to meet. In addition to the Part B deductibles paid, I have paid approx $700 out of pocket towards G HD deductible. I have saved about $2100 so far by having a high deductible plan.

By using the Reserve Fund Annuity savings plan, I haven't dealt with any bills directly. United American has paid for me and I just review my Medicare and UA statements to verify everything was handled appropriately.

After you posted this answer 3 times it is clear that she doesn't want to do the research and get her answers that way, that isn't the "Easy" way to get answers.:popcorn:

I’ve found a lot of helpful answers here made by some of the other folks who replied. :D I appreciate everyone who replied.

The hard thing was finding info on the high deductible plans because agents don’t like to tell you about them it seems due to the lower commission.

Back
Top Bottom