Medigap part G high deductible Florida users

Joylush

Recycles dryer sheets
I’m having some trouble finding carriers that offer the plan G high deductible option in Florida. Any Florida retirees have such a plan and can you share the name of the provider and are you happy with your choice?

In round numbers, what would be the savings between a Plan G and a Plan G-HD?

What kind of liability would a person be taking on with the High Deductible ?
And for what kind of premium savings per month ??

The last time I looked into this......it wasn't really worth the monthly savings.

In round numbers, what would be the savings between a Plan G and a Plan G-HD?

What kind of liability would a person be taking on with the High Deductible ?
And for what kind of premium savings per month ??

The last time I looked into this......it wasn't really worth the monthly savings.
I'll be 65 next month and shopping. Plan G HD premium for me lowest is $47/month. Plan G regular is $168/month.

However I am sticking with the regular Plan G.

One because it is Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield which I like and
2) because the Plan G High Deductible has a $2800 deductible. It is easy to reach that deductible lately. A few simple procedures(MRI etc) can get you there quickly. If I have to meet the deductible it would make my ave monthly $280 as opposed to the guaranteed $168.

I'll be 65 next month and shopping. Plan G HD premium for me lowest is $47/month. Plan G regular is $168/month.

2) because the Plan G High Deductible has a $2800 deductible. It is easy to reach that deductible lately. A few simple procedures(MRI etc) can get you there quickly. If I have to meet the deductible it would make my ave monthly $280 as opposed to the guaranteed $168.

Thanks finnski. Those are the kind of relative numbers I saw when I looked into the HD versions. In my book, it was not worth the risk.

I think it might be difficult to get off the HD plan and into 'regular' after one bad medical episode.

What state? I need info for Florida and am having problems getting information on who offers the HD Plan G.

United American specializes in HD-F/HD-G and has a competitively priced HD-G in Florida.

UHC/AARP is launching HD-G in Florida in June, but it has the extra wellness benefits like gym membership, so will be higher premium.

https://www.carevalue.com/blog/high-deductible-plan-g-coming-for-aarp-medicare-supplement-plans

Do you have an agent or broker who can give info on the United American plan? The one broker I found would not even speak to me until my husband was actually signed up for part A and B (not helpful at all). He starts coverage July 1st.

I was able to call United Health Care and did confirm they will be offering a HD G in Florida beginning June 1 but no rate es have been released yet.

F-HD for the past 10 years,saved a bunch of money for both of us. 2 years ago hosp bill 190K,cost me at the time about 2400 for the deductible. Down side is you have to pay all the bills that come in yourself,as opposed to billing just going through the supplement. So if become mentally/physically impaired could be a real hassle.

Remember - the deductible is only on the 20% not covered by Medicare B.

You have a guaranteed savings of $1452 / year if you don't use the deductible. ((168-47)*12)

My husband is on a HD F, and has yet to hit his deductible in 7 years... even with MRIs. He paid $76.33 total in deductible last year. And paid $12 for his portion of a MRI this year.... He's got a biopsy next month - we'll see what that is... but remember - it's only on the 20% not covered by B.

I remember it was hard to fully get that difference when I was helping him choose a plan. REwahoo pointed out that B covered most stuff 80% and the deductible was only on a small portion of the total bill. It's been a good decision for us.

(I have 2.5 years till I qualify for medicare... but at this point I'm looking at a HD plan G)

F-HD for the past 10 years,saved a bunch of money for both of us. 2 years ago hosp bill 190K,cost me at the time about 2400 for the deductible. Down side is you have to pay all the bills that come in yourself,as opposed to billing just going through the supplement. So if become mentally/physically impaired could be a real hassle.

I'm confused by this. My husband only gets billed for the deductible portion.
He gets an EOB... then later he gets a bill that only shows the deductible portion. He doesn't have to send anything to Medicare or to his F-HD provider (Healthnet). His providers have his insurance and bill it directly.

He's in process of getting a second opinion outside his doc's normal hospital system. The 2nd doc's office asked for both his Medicare and Plan F-HD information when he was setting up the appointment. I assume so they can bill it directly.

Do you have an agent or broker who can give info on the United American plan? The one broker I found would not even speak to me until my husband was actually signed up for part A and B (not helpful at all). He starts coverage July 1st.

I was able to call United Health Care and did confirm they will be offering a HD G in Florida beginning June 1 but no rate es have been released yet.

Agents and brokers have vested interests... I highly recommend you talk to your county SHIP team. These are trained resources that get zero compensation from any of the insurance companies selling supplements, Advantage or Part D plans and they can provide all the information you need on what's available in your state/county.

https://www.shiphelp.org/

I called them first and was very disappointed with the agent I was assigned to. Not impressed at all.

Please check out your local county SHIP resources... invaluable and not compensated by any of the insurance companies. SHIP is run at the state/county level and available nationwide. Highly recommended.

https://www.shiphelp.org/

Remember - the deductible is only on the 20% not covered by Medicare B.

You have a guaranteed savings of $1452 / year if you don't use the deductible. ((168-47)*12)

My husband is on a HD F, and has yet to hit his deductible in 7 years... even with MRIs. He paid $76.33 total in deductible last year. And paid $12 for his portion of a MRI this year.... He's got a biopsy next month - we'll see what that is... but remember - it's only on the 20% not covered by B.

I remember it was hard to fully get that difference when I was helping him choose a plan. REwahoo pointed out that B covered most stuff 80% and the deductible was only on a small portion of the total bill. It's been a good decision for us.

(I have 2.5 years till I qualify for medicare... but at this point I'm looking at a HD plan G)
Fair enough. I still like the insurer better for regular part G and am going to go with them. I have a few things coming up to be looked at (my PSA was high and might need a cardio workup) now sure how much of the guaranteed savings I would chew into so am happy to stick with regular G. Thanks

The premium difference is only $1,452 annually vs a $2,800 higher deductible? We'll easily each have more than $1,692 ($1,452 plus $240 Part B deductible) of medical services annually, even at Medicare rates, so I'll stick with the regular Plan G.

The other reason is that if I had HD and started having health issues I can't pass underwriting so I can't shift to regular plan G so I would be locked into that $2,800 higher deductible for the rest of time.

Last edited:
The premium difference is only $1,452 annually vs a $2,800 higher deductible? We'll easily each have more than $1,692 ($1,452 plus $240 Part B deductible) of medical services annually, even at Medicare rates, so I'll stick with the regular Plan G.

The other reason is that if I had HD and started having health issues I can't pass underwriting so I can't shift to regular plan G so I would be locked into that $2,800 higher deductible for the rest of time.
Yes I agree to all this.

It’s crazy how nobody can answer my question and the subject gets changed to why someone else thinks the plan I asked is not for them. Maybe someone in Florida who has the high deductible G plan will eventually provide some feedback.

The info about United Health Care/AARP being a HD- G plan to Florida is good to know. Now if only they’d release some info on it. Apparently a company called United American has a plan but they won’t give any info on it and I have to wait for them to find a broker in my area to hopefully contact me one day.

Finding answers to simple questions like mine shouldn’t be so hard. It seems they hide these plans because they make a lot of sense for many people.

It’s crazy how nobody can answer my question and the subject gets changed to why someone else thinks the plan I asked is not for them. Maybe someone in Florida who has the high deductible G plan will eventually provide some feedback.

The info about United Health Care/AARP being a HD- G plan to Florida is good to know. Now if only they’d release some info on it. Apparently a company called United American has a plan but they won’t give any info on it and I have to wait for them to find a broker in my area to hopefully contact me one day.

Finding answers to simple questions like mine shouldn’t be so hard. It seems they hide these plans because they make a lot of sense for many people.

The third post in this thread includes a link you can click on to access information (including prices) about who offers HD-G plans, which was the first part of your original question.

As for the second part of your question (who has a Florida plan and are they happy?) that is the luck of the draw. If someone sees this thread, and if they have such a plan, and if they feel like participating in the conversation, you may get some feedback on that.

Getting immediate answers to questions posed is not a guarantee, and thread drift is common and not a bad thing at all.

The third post in this thread includes a link you can click on to access information (including prices) about who offers HD-G plans, which was the first part of your original question.

As for the second part of your question (who has a Florida plan and are they happy?) that is the luck of the draw. If someone sees this thread, and if they have such a plan, and if they feel like participating in the conversation, you may get some feedback on that.

Getting immediate answers to questions posed is not a guarantee, and thread drift is common and not a bad thing at all.

Yes, you are correct. I’d already been there. Can’t find anyone yet regarding the United American plan which some have recommended. Calling the company was a waste of time- have to find a broker to get any info. And I have confirmed the United Health Care Plan option is available starting June 1, but it’s not even on the list yet.

With lots of Florida retirees I was overly optimistic that someone here might actually have one of these plan options and could provide feedback. Maybe I’ll get lucky with some patience.

Plan G High Deductible

The Florida Office of Insurance Regulation oversights Medicare supplement plans in Florida. It has a website that identifies carriers and provides rates.

The url for the website is https://apps.fldfs.com/mcws/ no password or logon is required

Use the search box at the top of the page, pick the county and then fill out a short form. The 11 insurance companies that will show up in are listed in alphabetical order. Click on the annual premium column and an arrow will appear that will list costs from lowest to highest.

The Florida Office of Insurance Regulation oversights Medicare supplement plans in Florida. It has a website that identifies carriers and provides rates.

The url for the website is https://apps.fldfs.com/mcws/ no password or logon is required

Use the search box at the top of the page, pick the county and then fill out a short form. The 11 insurance companies that will show up in are listed in alphabetical order. Click on the annual premium column and an arrow will appear that will list costs from lowest to highest.

Amazing! What a useful resource. This answers all my questions. Except I did notice that a few of the plans I was quoted by Boomer Benefits were lower there than what they quoted me. That was interesting to learn.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom