Hard lessons of FIRE: loss of identity....unbearable amount of free time.

The loss of identity lesson is something I can really relate to. I woke up the first Monday after I retired and looked in the mirror at someone who had such a huge grin I could hardly recognize myself.

As to unbearable amounts of free time, you do have to suck it up and learn to endure it. I've spent the past 15 years suffering in silence and hope to continue without complaint for many years in the future.

It's Marketwatch, the author is maybe 40, probably younger.

pass....

Unbearable amount of free time trump's accepting another steaming pile of crap from your boss. Lol. 5 years now retired and still waiting for the unbearable amount of free time. C19 slowed the roll this year doing stuff but still filled my day with things to do and be done.

Actually, I do understand. Some people's identity is totally tied up in their work. Especially at higher skill levels. In a way I envy those people. But it's certainly not my issue. I was always able to compartmentalize; work, family, friends, other organizations, etc.

And again, someone who commits a very large percentage of their time to one activity (like w*rk) is likely to feel adrift if they suddenly don't have that. Again, not me. I always tell people "I don't know how I ever found time to w*rk." I now have time for all the other things I used to have to squeeze into evenings and weekends.

I can admire those who specialized to the point there's very little else in their lives. But I'm sort of glad I'm not one of them.

I can relate to too much free time and that’s why I do some consulting and teach a online college class.

I saw these problems listed towards the end of the article, and chuckled at how stupid these problems seem. "Loss of identity," maybe, but has anyone suffered an "unbearable amount of freetime?"
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i...-can-i-retire-now-11608146259?siteid=yhoof2or

HAHAHA :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::2funny:

As to unbearable amounts of free time, you do have to suck it up and learn to endure it. I've spent the past 15 years suffering in silence and hope to continue without complaint for many years in the future.
Same here (21 years). Sigh!

Last edited:
Try listening to "The Money Guys" on You Tube always putting a damper on the FIRE movement. The big problem with the fire movement...the huge downside to the fire movement...the major cons of the fire movement and the hard truth about the... And they are supposed to be helping people to build wealth. I think they are financial advisors.

They suggested it was not a smart decision to retire early when you're at the peak of your earning potential. I think Mr. Money Mustache should give them a piece of his mind. People seem to like their advice but I find them quite annoying. They make it sound like achieving financial independence is soooo hard and that you would have to scrimp and live on nothing to get there.

I can relate to too much free time and that’s why I do some consulting and teach a online college class.

I’ve had too much free time too, but I’ve found a new hobby to fill the time. Napping!

What is this thing called “free time”?

I've never had an identity, but in 11 days it'll be 32 years since I had to announce my name when answering a telephone.

The only identity I want to keep is to be known as a good husband/father/brother/friend. Other identities are just transactional to me and I am ready to move on from them. Free time? I want it all while I still can since I cannot buy it :)

I know some retired folks who have loaded up with volunteering. It seems that they get their self-worth from what they accomplish during the day.

I did get lots of things from working: high blood pressure, heart disease. Since retiring, I have been focused on my health #1. And doing things I never had time for when working for the dollar.

I had to check the calendar - is today April 1st?

I had plenty of free time while riding the trains to and from work for 23 years (though not always 5 days a week). I'll take my free time, and more of it, NOT on those dang trains!

Free time is better than time in endless meetings. How is this a problem?

Try listening to "The Money Guys" on You Tube always putting a damper on the FIRE movement. The big problem with the fire movement...the huge downside to the fire movement...the major cons of the fire movement and the hard truth about the... And they are supposed to be helping people to build wealth.

I ran across this two days ago, it tweaked me enough to send her a message about what I think was wrong with it. The big, but not only problem is she used (or made up) extreme positions and then argued against them. Like saving 75% of you income! The article states "He (as in Pete) told me that to be truly Fire, I should limit the number of children and pets that I have, as both are expensive. (OP here, very possible) But that is not enough. Fire involves extreme austerity, significantly limiting the amount you spend, and saving hard — up to 75 per cent of your income." I can't tell if she really talked to him or if that was poetic license.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articl...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

I know some retired folks who have loaded up with volunteering. It seems that they get their self-worth from what they accomplish during the day.

I did get lots of things from working: high blood pressure, heart disease. Since retiring, I have been focused on my health #1. And doing things I never had time for when working for the dollar.

Yes indeed. Health is the #1 priority .

IF your sense of identity is entirely tied to your job, you probably will struggle in retirement. Mine never really was, so that hasn't been a problem for me.

And as far as the purported extreme austerity - that wasn't my experience. Just a decent amount of dedicated saving and modest LBYM, coupled with prudent investing.

I ran across this two days ago, it tweaked me enough to send her a message about what I think was wrong with it. The big, but not only problem is she used (or made up) extreme positions and then argued against them. Like saving 75% of you income! The article states "He (as in Pete) told me that to be truly Fire, I should limit the number of children and pets that I have, as both are expensive. (OP here, very possible) But that is not enough. Fire involves extreme austerity, significantly limiting the amount you spend, and saving hard — up to 75 per cent of your income." I can't tell if she really talked to him or if that was poetic license.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articl...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

Extreme austerity, Spectator article author (not you, Time2)? I beg to differ. I don't live a particularly extravagant lifestyle, but I have always been able to take vacations when I wanted to, buy a new car when I needed to, and gone on an occasional spending spree when I had to. Furthermore, one unbreakable condition of being able to RE is that I would not have to change my day-to-day lifestyle. I would never accept saying, "I can't do X because it would bust my budget."

As for saving 75% of my income, I never hit that high a percentage. In my earlier years, I was in the 30%-40% range most years, rising to 40%-60% in my peak earning years. But that was simply because my income rose while my expenses were pretty steady (excluding income taxes which of course rose). I never targeted a specific percentage; whatever it was, it was.

Yeah I was thinking about suffering while playing Pickleball today in 60 degrees at 11am.

Errands, yardwork, housework, reading, the dogs, kids, naps, Netflix ...

I could use more free time.

What is going on over at MarketWatch? They’ve had some absolutely horrible articles lately.

Back
Top Bottom