Has Anyone Successfully Stretched His/Her Back?

I straightened up and my lower back got really tight.
My new protocol is that whenever something like that happens, I immediately put ice on it, even if it seems minor. I've had a bunch of little reinjuries during my recovery (e.g. finding a beer in the back of the lower shelf of the fridge) and I think that has helped.

After about 15 minutes of clipping, brushing, filing, and such, in a bent over position, I straightened up and my lower back got really tight.
I discovered that this doesn't happen to me when I straighten up leading the movement with my pelvis -- that is, rotate my pelvis back (as I do with a tummy tuck) when starting the straightening.

I posted here how Thai massage is doing wonders loosening my muscles. Everything is more flexible with less static muscle tension, my back most of all.

As for stretching technique, If you've never heard of Active Isolated Stretching, everything you know about stretching is wrong in my not so humble opinion. I started doing this in '97 after stumbling across a book by the guys who developed it (Jim and Phil Wharton). The technique has gained wide acceptance since then and others have taken it farther than the Whartons. Two best aspects of this technique is one gets more results in less time and athletes who use it have fewer injuries. The book I used is still in print.

I discovered that this doesn't happen to me when I straighten up leading the movement with my pelvis -- that is, rotate my pelvis back (as I do with a tummy tuck) when starting the straightening.
Thanks, I'll try to remember that method.

Meanwhile, I think getting a professional pedicure might be my first choice. Also I may hire someone to put my socks on for me, unless I can convince the DW that I need to wear flip flops to all events.

Inversion.

Hanging by the ankles. Just for the fun of it, I do it two or three times a week. 5 to 10 minutes. Rarely ever have back problems. If I have it it is from lots of digging or shovelling.
Oh yeah, invert before food or liquid inputs.

As usual, my Internet research has shown a bit of controversy over which exercises/stretches are good for the back, and which are actually harmful. I've even seen a book that says that most of the science in this area is bad, and that it's not clear what causes back problems and what prevents them.

But in any case, here's my preliminary list of stretches that I will be working with:

Back Exercises (import from MobiList)
Flat Back Snow Angel
Knee Raise
Hamstring Stretch (Strap)
Press-up
Lumbar Rotation
Paper Clip
Plank
Side Plank
Hamstring Stretch (Wall)
Standing Leg Raise
Neck Stretch
Ingela Stretch
What I call the Snow Angel is the "Strengthen you Postural Muscles one here.

The Ingela Stretch involves standing and pushing your shoulderblades together.

The paperclip stretch involves putting an ankle on the opposite knee, and then pulling the knee towards your chest (on your back).

Great thread. I'm excited to read some of the information folks have linked.

I second the comment earlier about not trying to stretch via bending at your waist to touch your toes. I've been having chronic lower back pain now for 5 months and have recently begun to try and do something about it via excercise. At first I tried to stretch this way and it didn't seem to matter how long I held the stretch or how often I did it, things didn't get better and in fact one morning I caused a muscle spasm that made me miss work.

I've now found that even one downward dog yoga stretch held for 10-20 seconds will have a significant and immediate impact that far exceeds anything I was able to try and obtain via the traditional bend at the wait and touch your toes stretch.

I actually started excercising regularly again last week including 3 sessions of yoga. Looking forward to the progress.

The other thing I've done which seems to help with my back/legs/neck is wear shoes that have a zero percent drop from heel to toe. I also walk in these shoes that drop the heel below the toes to counter the large heels (relatively for a guy) on my work shoes. I certainly can feel the extra workout in my calf muscles. The extra range of motion and stretching the calf muscles seems to take pressure off the knee and hamstrings which in turn feel like they help to keep the back flexible and make good posture easier. The negative drop shoes aren't cheap, but neutral shoes can be $5 rubber sandals. After wearing high heels for a number of years DW credits the negative drop shoes with eliminating much of her foot pain as well - she runs marathons so it is a big issue for her.

No amount of stretching has made my lower back tension go away but I do find that doing a relaxation method is helping.

I get comfortable on the living room carpet, face up/on my back and put my legs on the coffee table with the coffee table lined up just above the buttocks.

Then just wait till the muscles all start to relax (maybe 10 minutes) and just do some slight undulations like an inch worm walking.

Back seems to lose the tension. It comes back when I genuflect, so none of that for a while.

One-Week Update

I've now done the stretches and exercises below two times per day for one week. For example, in the morning I have breakfast, take one aspirin, use the elliptical trainer for a few minutes to warm up the muscle then do the exercises.

I've done a lot of research on stretching and realized that I've probably been stretching too hard in the past. That is, if you stretch almost to the point of pain, it can be counter-productive.

I am noticing some improvements in flexibility. For example, for this stretch:

back2a.jpg

I could only get my leg to about the 10:30 position. I can now get it to about 11:30. I also notice that putting on socks and shoes is easier. I can barely touch my toes now (was about 4 inches away from that before), but I avoid that exercise since many sites say that it is dangerous.

In addition to the long-term goal of preventing back injury, I have a shorter term goal of being able to play piano without a special backrest chair. After stretching I play piano that way for about half an hour and then ice my back. That still makes my back a little sore.

I'm expecting more improvement after a few more weeks. I think this routine is sustainable, at least for one time per day.

Back Exercises (import to MobiList)
Cat Stretch
Neck Raise with Strap
Knee Raise
Hip Raise
Hamstring Stretch (Strap)
Press-up
Lumbar Rotation
Child's Pose
Paper Clip
Plank
Side Plank
Hamstring Stretch (Wall)
Pectoralis Doorway Stretch
Standing Leg Raise
Neck Stretch
Ingela Stretch

I have seen gains in my flexibility from stretching. I have lower back issues and plantar fasciitis caused by massive antibiotics four years ago when I had diverticulitis that damaged my Achilles tendon. I began stretching to help out those issues and I have seen significant gains. When I started, for instance, I was maybe 8-10 inches from touching my toes when I stretch my hamstring. Now, on a good day, I can touch my toes.

Unfortunately, the back and foot problems persist despite working on stretching, core strength and back strength. If I slack off even fro a week or two, my back begins to hurt and it takes weeks or months of stretching, exercising and walking to get it back into shape. You'd think I'd learn not to slack off, but no.

Just thought I'd provide a contrary view point: I had major back surgery 45 years ago and have had chronic back pain for most of the ensuing years. I have tried every back stretching/strengthening regime there is. I have yet to find one that I can do (no matter how gradually I work into it) that doesn't make my pain worse over time. Therefore, I don't do any stretching.

Thanks for that info, Grumpy -- I hope it will work better for me.

Two week update: Still more gains in hamstring: I can now get to 12:00. No real change related to playing the piano.

I've divided the exercises into stretches vs. strengthening, and I only do the stretches twice a day. I have more rest days between the strengthening exercises.

I'm starting an aerial yoga class in two weeks, where you do yoga moves suspended a bit above the floor in a fabric hammock attached to the ceiling. Really excited to give it a try and improve my flexibility.

Hey TromboneAl, you may find this series of articles by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson interesting.

T NATION | Neanderthal No More - Part 4

Its a four part series on T-nation, the link is to part IV. Part IV also contains links to the first three parts. It is important to note that they consider the final part a "pre-habilitation" program. It is not considered re-hab. It is meant to put people on the right path to correct posture, rather than re-habilitate the consequences of poor posture. I found it interesting reading, though, and I thought I'd share it.

Sarah in SC said:
I'm starting an aerial yoga class in two weeks, where you do yoga moves suspended a bit above the floor in a fabric hammock attached to the ceiling. Really excited to give it a try and improve my flexibility.

Maybe you can combine this with the pole dancing?

Al, here's one of my favorite stretches from my gym's stretching station for helping hip pain (and might help with back and sciatic). I wanted to show you but had a hard time finding a photo; this is the best I could do but isn't really great.

Bend one leg, with the other straight and behind it and flat on the floor as in the photo. (I like to hang on to something like a chair so I don't lose my balance). Maintain good, erect posture in your upper body. Bend the bent leg until you feel a slight tug in the upper thigh of the other leg. That tug is what you are looking for. Hold for fifteen seconds by the clock.

Whatever the tug in the upper thigh tugs on, is getting stretched. This is what helps my hip and lower back pain a whole lot, anyway.

Hoping for the best with your stretching.

Attachments

• lunge2a.jpg
    lunge2a.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Al, here's one of my favorite stretches ...
This is similar to the yoga "proud warrior" pose, except for the proud warrior, arms are extended in front, and perhaps the trailing foot is at right angles. I do this one, too.

This is similar to the yoga "proud warrior" pose, except for the proud warrior, arms are extended in front, and perhaps the trailing foot is at right angles. I do this one, too.

That's great! I must caution Al and others though, that if you change it as GregLee suggests with the trailing foot at a right angle, you don't get the same tug which is the whole point of doing this particular stretch IMO.

Not to say that it is inferior, but just that the stretch with the foot turned is completely different, and stretches other things - - just not the stretch that I am talking about and won't have the same results. :) I may start trying the "proud warrior too, though, just to see what it does for me. :D

Last edited:
I'll try it, thanks. You look really hot in that photo!

I only WISH that I was that slender and strong! :LOL: If I had thighs like that, I'd use them as my avatar! Thanks for the flattering mistake... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom