Has someone taked a lot less for a better job

accountingsucks

Recycles dryer sheets
I work at a megacorp and all things considered it is a pretty good place to work. With all the benefits I'm at $75K a year and I rarely work any overtime. However I'm not too sure about how that is going over with my bosses - I see the looks I get as I leave at 4:30 - lol. I get my work done during the day so I do not see why there would be an issue with this, but I think the older generation is still into "face time"...ie. putting in hours for the sake of appearances. I notice the staff that are m age do not put in OT while those over 45 are working until 6 each night and not leaving their desks at lunch. Anyways I've had one review for my 6 month evaluation and I got a good one so I shouldn't worry I guess. OK, end of rant....

Having said that I still am not happy that I have to work 5 days a week and deal with all the BS inherent in any megacorp job. I am fortunate in that I just paid my mortgage off at 31 and am starting to save for retirement in earnest (only about 50K in there now). Part of me says to stick it out for 15 years and I'll be set with a nice nest egg and when I'm 45 I can chose to work 2 or 3 days per week part time to cover my basic expenses. The other part of me wants to chuck it all now and take something much less stressful where I would make less (say 40 - 50K) Obviously in this scenario I would not be able to call it quits at an early age. Anyone else in this situation?

Consider the posibility that the older workers are afraid of getting fired because they are older.

One issue to be wary of is that if you are 'getting it done' and leaving at 4:30 a manager will give you more work to do to fill up the time they think they have booked. Think about our 'face time' stratigically.

accountingsucks said:
However I'm not too sure about how that is going over with my bosses - I see the looks I get as I leave at 4:30 - lol.  I get my work done during the day so I do not see why there would be an issue with this, but I think the older generation is still into "face time"...ie. putting in hours for the sake of appearances.
"Boss, I've seen by your facial expression that you're not so happy with my 4:30 departures.  However I feel that I'm very productive during the xx hours I spend here every day, and I'm motivated by a firm departure time.  I've also noticed that my productivity plummets after 4:30, so for my health and the office morale I think I'm doing the right thing by leaving then.  I'd also like to think that if you have an issue with my hours then we can work out an acceptable compromise.  Of course I'm happy to help out during emergencies, but otherwise my 4:30 departure time is part of what makes me such a valuable employee to this or other companies!"

Then rush back to your desk and update your résumé.  You may need it because they may not "get it".

accountingsucks said:
Obviously in this scenario I would not be able to call it quits at an early age.  Anyone else in this situation?
Sounds like your BS bucket is filling faster than your money bucket.  I was more or less forced off the career track and found that there are a lot of lower-paying jobs with far higher quality of life.  If you can handle the lower income (e.g., live more cheaply) then the non-financial rewards far outweigh the paycheck.  Many people end up in the trap of financial responsibility (kids, college funds, mortgages, conspicuous consumer consumption) and can't give up the paycheck for a better life.

Is there a possibility of moving within the company to another job without moving yourself from the frying pan to the fire?  Or is it time to turn a hobby/interest into a part-time income-producing activity?

The other side of employment/financial security is that you'll always be wondering if you shoulda/coulda/woulda been the next gazillionaire entrepreneur.  You'll have to decide which situation is right for you, but the odds against entrepreneurs are much more heavily loaded against you than if you remain at your present job.  (Not, of course, that these odds are holding back the future gazillionaires.)  If you decide to go the entrepreneurial route then it's probably better to keep your day job until you're replacing that income with your own efforts.  And even then you'll probalby be working more hours for less money than you ever dealt with at Megacorp.

accountingsucks said:
With all the benefits I'm at $75K a year and I rarely work any overtime . . . I leave at 4:30 - lol. 

Having said that I still am not happy that I have to work 5 days a week and deal with all the BS inherent in any megacorp job.  The other part of me wants to chuck it all now and take something much less stressful where I would make less (say 40 - 50K)   

Not sure what you do, but my guess is you'll be hard pressed to find a job paying $40-50K where you work fewer than 5 days a week and get to leave at 4:30. If you actually know of any part-time work paying $40-50K let me know because I'd be up for that gig too.

3 Yrs to Go said:
Not sure what you do, but my guess is you'll be hard pressed to find a job paying $40-50K where you work fewer than 5 days a week and get to leave at 4:30. If you actually know of any part-time work paying $40-50K let me know because I'd be up for that gig too.

Consider something in medicine for part time work. Nursing, medical technology, radiation technology,
ultrasound, etc. Many would pay $40K ish for under 40 hours per week.

3 Yrs to Go said:

I'm a Chartered Accountant (same as CPA in US) and I am one of 2 supervisors in an accounting department of about 16 staff for a publicly traded company. Generally speaking with my designation it would not be difficult to find contract/part time work for that kind of money. I could even do bookkeeping/tax returns from home I'm sure, it would just be hard to get clients at first.

Nords said:
"Boss, I've seen by your facial expression that you're not so happy with my 4:30 departures.  However I feel that I'm very productive during the xx hours I spend here every day, and I'm motivated by a firm departure time.  I've also noticed that my productivity plummets after 4:30, so for my health and the office morale I think I'm doing the right thing by leaving then.  I'd also like to think that if you have an issue with my hours then we can work out an acceptable compromise.  Of course I'm happy to help out during emergencies, but otherwise my 4:30 departure time is part of what makes me such a valuable employee to this or other companies!"

Nice one Nords. I for one have never been motivated much by the money. I've always found that the time I spent with my family was far more valuable than any career boost I could get from staying late. So far knock wood, leaving at 5 o'clock on the dot have not been much of a problem. However, I have not gotten the promotions and kudos I deserve (I am extremely productive during the 8 hour day but after that my time is mine). One has to decide what's important to them in life. If making a lot of money and career are important, then working long hours should be expected. I look at life in very finite terms so I always ask myself what would I be happier doing. I try to live everyday and enjoy it and face time is not my idea of enjoying life. I work because I have to but it's often an obstacle to the myriad of things I would rather be doing.

ADJ said:
Nice one Nords. I for one have never been motivated much by the money. I've always found that the time I spent with my family was far more valuable than any career boost I could get from staying late. So far knock wood, leaving at 5 o'clock on the dot have not been much of a problem. However, I have not gotten the promotions and kudos I deserve (I am extremely productive during the 8 hour day but after that my time is mine). One has to decide what's important to them in life. If making a lot of money and career are important, then working long hours should be expected. I look at life in very finite terms so I always ask myself what would I be happier doing. I try to live everyday and enjoy it and face time is not my idea of enjoying life. I work because I have to but it's often an obstacle to the myriad of things I would rather be doing.

You put that very well, that is exactly how I feel. The whole process of getting my designation was very hard (working 2500 hours a year while articling and studying) and I feel with that behind me, I can pick and choose what I want to do in terms of work/life balance.

accountingsucks said:
I work at a megacorp and all things considered it is a pretty good place to work.  With all the benefits I'm at $75K a year and I rarely work any overtime. However I'm not too sure about how that is going over with my bosses - I see the looks I get as I leave at 4:30 - lol.  I get my work done during the day so I do not see why there would be an issue with this, but I think the older generation is still into "face time"...ie. putting in hours for the sake of appearances. 

One of my favourite MBA courses was the "CEO course" with CEOs as faculty. One very successful CEO talked about the issue of "face time" versus productivity and how visibility is still the simplest way for management to judge an individual's commitment to the job. Much of the time, upper management will NOT be aware of how, exactly, you contribute to the organization. But employees have an option. Keep track of the results of your work (productivity) and make sure management gets the the data on a regular basis. This is also a great way to keep your (achievement based) resume current.

In my academic life I am obliged to submit quantitative data each year of all my activities and outcomes. This proved very helpful in getting promoted. In addition I manage a service. I write an Annual Report that goes above and beyond the required reporting requirements and can be used to justify and market what I do, both internally and externally. You can do the same. It need not be elaborate, but it should be professional and can be very helpful.

Meadbh said:
... I am obliged to submit quantitative data each year of all my activities and outcomes... I write an Annual Report that goes above and beyond the required reporting requirements and can be used to justify and market what I do, both internally and externally.

One more reminder of why I was sooooo happy to reach FIRE.... ;)

accountingsucks said:
...However I'm not too sure about how that is going over with my bosses - I see the looks I get as I leave at 4:30...I still am not happy that I have to work 5 days a week and deal with all the BS inherent in any megacorp job.

I don't know how people can put up with getting dirty looks day after day for leaving work a little early after putting in a full day. 

If you give 1/3 of the best years of your life to a company only to be unappreciated for what you do, then you're in the wrong place.

I recommend you get out and do something on your own, as you posted a few messages down that you could do if you can overcome your initial fear of failing.  If you are as good as you believe you are, then jump and fly.

retire@40 said:
IIf you give 1/3 of the best years of your life to a company only to be unappreciated for what you do, then you're in the wrong place.

The only thing worse is spending 1/2 your life there.

In reality, that is the situation of most of the workforce.

Brat said:
One issue to be wary of is that if you are 'getting it done' and leaving at 4:30 a manager will give you more work to do to fill up the time they think they have booked.

This is absolutely correct.

I changed companies in early 1998, taking a pay cut.

PROs:
-- Stock options in a startup with IPO possible in nearish future (made ~$500k as it turned out)
-- First editor at the company, got to set up that function within the documentation department (mostly fun challenge)
-- Good colleagues, several became friends
-- My second manager was the best one I ever had

CONs:
-- Pay cut (a hiring bonus made up for it the first year)
-- No 401k match
-- No profit sharing
-- Smaller bonuses (we were barely profitable, and only some of the time)
-- Less vacation time
-- Fewer paid holidays
-- No sick days at all (had to use vacation time)
-- No sabbaticals
-- Shorter documentation cycles-->routine rather than occasional long hours

I think you left off an option: put in a few extra hours, climb the ladder, make a bunch more money, and FIRE earlier.

Where I work I make 2-3x what people make who leave at 4:30. For many years I was able to get 25-35% raises while others got 5% (it will be difficult for that to continue - but it might).

If you're going to jump for a more enjoyable job, then go for it, but if you are going to stick it out for 15 years, then you might as well make it worth your while.

I took a better, less stressful, job for alot more money more than 10 years ago.

I went from an academic, not-for-profit, get all your own grant money, everyone around you is working their butt off job to a for-profit, it's who you know, not what you know, we'll make the money for you, here's your secretary, hire all your own people, relax, we'll pay you more type of job.

Your job is to find your dream job that you really enjoy doing before your retire early. Otherwise,what's the point?

LOL! said:
Your job is to find your dream job that you really enjoy doing before your retire early. Otherwise,what's the point?

I am still searching for my "dream" job. I may never get there since the definition of a 'dream' job continues to evolve. It is best to enjoy whatever you do.

In 1989, I left a $55K job for a $32K job. But I couldn't stand the first job any more, and the second one was something new. Allowing for inflation, it was about 1996 before I was making what I was before, and was 2 more jobs along. But the choice was the right one, because there was some promise of better things ahead.

Don’t waste your life doing something you don’t like. Find something you like to do and do that, regardless of the pay.

I quit a good paying job to return to college to get an MBA, great decision that led to a completely new life.

I gave up a job to move 1500 miles away for 25% less pay and fewer and much less lucrative benefits. The current company has no pension plan, no post retirement medical benefits, no post retirement stock plans and small match 401k plan. We sold the land we were going to build our retirement house on that cost us 3 years to design. Why did we do that? To be close to my sons and to be in an area that was less expensive yet had more to offer us in our lifestyle and for a job where what I could do was valued and respected.

The path to my FIRE plan was shifted by outside forces but I don't regret the move. Sometimes you have to do what makes the most sense to you despite the short term negative consequences.

Ah yes, the "face time" discussion with the Boss. Just needed to point out that:

1. I don't take 20 minute coffee breaks in the cafeteria 3-4 times/day

2. I don't take 10-15 minute smoke breaks 5-6 times/day.

3. I will work the needed time to get the job done by the needed time.

Didn't say it (but it's true): "Face time, is a waste of time." I had too many rentals to service at night ... so I hit the door and turned the key at 5:01pm.

An extra hour per day in mega corp would have DELAYed FIRE by years!

tryan said:
"Face time, is a waste of time." 

I imagine that's pretty much true today.  I can say that over the years of my MegaCorp career, folks willing and able to stay longer frequently harvested some benefits.  It was common for brainstorming discussions about next year's business plan, talent needs of the team, potential places to locate the next building, etc., etc. to occur after work.  Managers frequently sought informal inputs and these sessions developed spontaneously after the "4:30 PM sharp" folks were tail lights down the driveway.  Not surprisingly, the folks regularly involved in these spontaneous discussions, and who were otherwise equally qualified, seemed to progress in their careers more rapidly.

I'm not saying it's the right thing or that it even happens today, but it happened then........

youbet said:
...  Not surprisingly, the folks regularly involved in these spontaneous discussions, and who were otherwise equally qualified, seemed to progress in their careers more rapidly.

I'm not saying it's the right thing or that it even happens today, but it happened then........

Ditto from what I have seen in three Mega corps I have been with and the couple DW has worked for too. Face time is "required" for promotions. It shows you are "one of them" and it moves you into a different group from the others who are quick to hit the bricks at 5:00 pm. I did my share of it including golf with the boss on weekends, dinners with bosses, "volunteer" charity work with other company folks in your "spare time" and working some weekends. I don't do that anymore as my interest in advancement is zero and they have finally stopped asking me about changing jobs. I let the younger and ambitious ones do the face time. I did my face time and I received some financial payback for it.

At some point you have to decide what you want in your career and then do what is needed to make it happen. The trick is to not forget why you are doing it. The goal is FIRE and if a little face time shortens the trip to FIRE or makes it a more lucrative one then so be it.

SteveR said:
Ditto from what I have seen in three Mega corps I have been with and the couple DW has worked for too.  Face time is "required" for promotions.

Depending on the company, and what you do, it may be required to keep the job. I know two women who, from all accounts, ended up leaving their managerial jobs cause they couldn't put in the expected 10-12 hour daily "face time" for their companies...

Back
Top Bottom