Haunted Computer

I hereby pronounce my computer is fixed :dance: with a new power supply !
computer with new PSU.JPG

Heat buildup can cause problems. If possible open it up and vacuum out (VERY CAREFULLY) any accumulated dust.
I just take it outside and hit it with the leaf blower:)

But congrats OP on exorcism of the ghost in the machine.

I hereby pronounce my computer is fixed :dance: with a new power supply !

Nice work! And the new PSU is 500 watts. That's got to be significantly more power than the OEM Dell model. Do you know what the power rating on the old Dell unit was?

The OEM Dell model was marked as 300 watts but I don't even think it was strong enough for that. I connected my PC to a kill-a-watt meter running with my new PSU and that only got up to about 75 watts max. Yet, with the Dell PSU, that still didn't boot my PC (though the indicator lights showed the PSU was getting power but unable to distribute it). I forget, but maybe that was why I got the old PSU (that is now faulty) in the first place. Anyhow, that's all in the rearview :popcorn:.

It looks like you have a third party graphics card installed. I think a graphics card with no power connector can draw up to 65 Watts from the PCI buss. That might have been too much for the original power supply.

Glad you fixed the problem with a new, larger PS.

It looks like you have a third party graphics card installed. I think a graphics card with no power connector can draw up to 65 Watts from the PCI buss. That might have been too much for the original power supply.

Glad you fixed the problem with a new, larger PS.
Yes, about the graphics card. A cheap one but gets the job done for me.

Slickdeals has a refurb that will run Win 11...

Dell OptiPlex 7070 Desktop (Refurb): i5-9500, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, SFF
$169.50

I buy nothing but refurb PCs myself, Jim, and the best deals usually are on Dell and Lenovo. I have owned both and have had great luck with them. They last as long as any new ones I purchased in the past and I get great satisfaction out of knowing how much less I paid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom