Have you exercised lately?

I work out pretty much every day, with rare exception. Racquetball is my main sport (I play competitively), and I cross-train that with cardio and weights. I ride my bike when the weather is nice regularly. I've always exercised; wouldn't know how NOT to do it!

I walk quite a bit - 3-5 miles or more, 5-6 days/week. Today I walked 6 miles. Really enjoy walking. Also like biking, stand-up paddle boarding when the temperature is above 75, and the occasional hike or tennis game with DH. I belong to a gym which is very inexpensive because I joined in 1987 and never let it go, but I rarely go. I just hate working out indoors when I can be outside enjoying beautiful So CA weather and scenery. However, I really do need to do some strength training.

Started something new. Basketball 2×week. That ball isn't heavy and a game isn't that long (plus we just mess around) but I'm counting it

Last edited:
I've read that one of the risk factors for diabetes is a sedentary lifestyle.

I believe that's a risk factor for quite a few health problems.

Anecdotal, and possibly urban legend, but I remember reading that airline pilots had an especially high rate of hemorrhoids. Maybe because they spend so much time sitting down?

IMO the trick to exercise is to make it a habit, that’s the only way it works for me. I do cardio and resistance 4-5 days/week, Mon-Fri, and I’m active on weekends weather permitting. Cardio is 30-60 min biking if possible, walking outdoors or treadmill as a last resort in winter, with occasional cross country skiing. Resistance is BowFlex and/or SelectTech dumbbells. I’m just trying to stay reasonably fit, nothing more. I did yoga for almost a year, and I really should now (flexibility is an issue for senior me), but I hate to drive somewhere to exercise.

Last edited:
Yoga 2-3 days a week.

Treadmill (in winter) 4 days a week. Walking in park/greenway in better weather.

I try to walk 2 miles every day, unless I have mowed the lawn or shoveled the driveway. I never miss more than 1 day per week, and usually do 7 out of 7.

I am struggling a bit in our cold and snowy weather. Even so, I try to walk 2 miles outside every day and I do yoga 3 times a week. I bike outside whenever I can, and we just bought one of those inside bike trainers. Waiting for DH to put it together in the basement. This thread just got me pumped up a bit, so I think I will head out for an early morning snowy walk. Oh, I also work out with a trainer twice a month.

IMO the trick to exercise is to make it a habit, that’s the only way it works for me. I do cardio and resistance 4-5 days/week, Mon-Fri, and I’m active on weekends weather permitting. Cardio is 30-60 min biking if possible, walking outdoors or treadmill as a last resort in winter, with occasional cross country skiing. Resistance is BowFlex and/or SelectTech dumbbells. I’m just trying to stay reasonably fit, nothing more. I did yoga for almost a year, and I really should now (flexibility is an issue for senior me), but I hate to drive somewhere to exercise.

Why not bike to yoga for example? I do not know your roads but your profile says Chicago which has been working on biking infrastructure. I have ridden there a few times and felt good about the infrastructure and drivers.

Winter is the most challenging season. When living in Milwaukee, I had a 20 degree cut-off, up to a 5 mile destination and the streets needed to be clear and wide enough, after a snow, to provide 'curb' room. It is easy to dress warm for 5 miles,without special clothes. I did buy an older commuter bike due to the salt and I made sure it had fenders so I would stay clean. I know Chicago has a great bicycling non-profit that can answer your questions, if you are interested in this idea. Good luck.

I usually swim two hours a week and one day on the treadmill but I have had the flu from hell and having a hard time getting back in the grove.

Back
Top Bottom