Hawaii vacation questions

Like Nords and clifp, I live on Oahu and I do have a suggestion for researching what to do when you come to Hawaii. There is a series of books by Andrew Doughty such as "Oahu Revealed" or "Hawaii Revealed" (I think). In any case, I use "Oahu Revealed" as my "Bible" for learning about the island I live on and for ideas to entertain visiting guests. I haven't always agreed with Doughty's opinions about certain places (such as his disdain for the Honolulu Zoo) but he seems to have his facts straight as near as I can tell. He is correct that Honolulu Zoo is very small and limited in the number of exhibits. He is very much into active things like snorkeling and other water sports, hiking and seeing things off the beaten path.

Personally, I like Waikiki for the very touristy nature of the place, but I also like the pristine beaches of the eastern and northern shores (a good beach to visit is Kailua - it's where Obama stayed.) It's beautiful, is not crowded, has activities such as kaiaking and kite and wind surfing. You could take THE BUS to most places on the island, but a car is more efficient, time wise. Go to Barns Un-noble or Borders to check out the book(s) before you buy.

If you have ANY interest in military history, DO visit the complex which includes the Arizona memorial, the USS Bowfin (sub), the air museum and the USS Missouri battle ship. Well worth a long day IMO.

Hope you have a great time. Spend lots of money, our tax revenues are way down this year!:greetings10:

Like Nords and clifp, I live on Oahu and I do have a suggestion for researching what to do when you come to Hawaii. There is a series of books by Andrew Doughty such as "Oahu Revealed" or "Hawaii Revealed"

Funny you mentioned it because I just ordered a used one from Amazon yesterday.

While in Kailua, do you guys think it's worthwhile to go to the sandbar(or the sunken island as some call it.) It looks really beautiful and sounds like it is quite popular with the locals. Are the weekdays as bad as the weekends as far as the crowds go? If I were by myself, I wouldn't think twice kayaking from Heeia Park (it's only 2 miles) but with wife and 2 kids, looks like I should opt for option #2, which is renting a Boston Whaler from Base Marina in kaneohe Bay. But I'd have to take a 2-hr boating class with them first, which is ok, except it's only offered on Tue/Thur at 3:30 PM, sort of making me work around their schedule. And while in kaneohe Bay, I'm thinking maybe spend a night at a cabanas (Welcome to MCCS Hawaii) and head out to the sandbar the next morning. what do you guys think of that?

I also register at hawaiianthreads.com but they haven't approved me yet in several days, maybe Nords can voucher for me? :)

Personally, I like Waikiki for the very touristy nature of the place, but I also like the pristine beaches of the eastern and northern shores (a good beach to visit is Kailua - it's where Obama stayed.) It's beautiful, is not crowded, has activities such as kaiaking and kite and wind surfing.

I grew up in a beachfront home in Kailua. It is indeed lovely and was certainly uncrowded in the mid-20th century (probably still is). Easiest access is through the Kailua Beach Park, where there are picnic tables available as well.

Photo below was taken at my family home on Kailua Beach, in 1968.

While in Kailua, do you guys think it's worthwhile to go to the sandbar(or the sunken island as some call it.) It looks really beautiful and sounds like it is quite popular with the locals. Are the weekdays as bad as the weekends as far as the crowds go?

Do you mean Flat Island? Well gee, you could paddle out there. Many people do. But I wouldn't think it was a "must". Surf can get pretty high beyond Flat Island. I have no idea as to the weekdays/weekends crowding problem in 2010. It was not much of an issue when I lived there (as you can see from the photo).

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 9
Do you mean Flat Island? .

maybe that's what it's. Here's an excert from Best Hawaii Beaches - Kaneohe Bay

>>>>
In the middle of Kaneohe Bay is a sandbar, the only one of its kind in the state. A sandy stretch of beach during lower tides which is completely submerged during higher tides, the Kaneohe sandbar is a popular near-shore destination for boaters, kayakers, and sailors looking for a place to park and enjoy the sun.
>>>>

maybe that's what it's. Here's an excert from Best Hawaii Beaches - Kaneohe Bay

>>>>
In the middle of Kaneohe Bay is a sandbar, the only one of its kind in the state. A sandy stretch of beach during lower tides which is completely submerged during higher tides, the Kaneohe sandbar is a popular near-shore destination for boaters, kayakers, and sailors looking for a place to park and enjoy the sun.
>>>>

Oh, OK, Kaneohe! I thought you meant Kailua Bay. Yes, the sandbar is popular and easy to get to.

While in Kailua, do you guys think it's worthwhile to go to the sandbar(or the sunken island as some call it.) It looks really beautiful and sounds like it is quite popular with the locals. Are the weekdays as bad as the weekends as far as the crowds go? If I were by myself, I wouldn't think twice kayaking from Heeia Park (it's only 2 miles) but with wife and 2 kids, looks like I should opt for option #2, which is renting a Boston Whaler from Base Marina in kaneohe Bay. But I'd have to take a 2-hr boating class with them first, which is ok, except it's only offered on Tue/Thur at 3:30 PM, sort of making me work around their schedule. And while in kaneohe Bay, I'm thinking maybe spend a night at a cabanas (Welcome to MCCS Hawaii) and head out to the sandbar the next morning. what do you guys think of that?

I also register at hawaiianthreads.com but they haven't approved me yet in several days, maybe Nords can voucher for me? :)

(Access to "Sunken Island" sand bar is from Kaneohe Bay, not Kailua. From Kailua, you can Kayak out to Flat island.) To be honest with you, I've never gone out to the sand bar (or Flat island). For that matter, the only sailing/boating I've done is on the other side of the island. I've taken several "commercial" boats (dinner/booze cruises, whale watching, Waikiki catamaran cruises and a friend has a nice sail boat we've taken past Diamond head from the Ala Wai yacht harbor.)

I've wanted to go out to the sand bar, but I don't have a boat nor do I have any experience. I'm a big chicken when it comes to that much water. Having said that DW and I do plan to go out on the glass-bottom boat eventually. Doughty says you can kayak out there - no problem. Not sure where you rent the kayaks, but it should be easy to find in Doughty's book. Probably the same marina as below.

My guess is you could go hang out at the marina a couple of miles north of Kaneohe on the Kamehameha Hwy (830) just past Heeia State park. (That's where the glass-bottom boat leaves). If you are very personable and meet people easily, I'd bet you'd run into someone more than happy to take you out to the bar with them. You could offer to slip them a few bucks for their boat, but I'd be surprised if they take it. Never tried this myself (I'm more shy than most, perhaps).

I've heard a few negative things about the sand bar but don't have personal experience. I've heard that there is a litter problem and that there can be significant recreational use of certain substances (especially alcohol). Again, never been out there so can't confirm. I think Doughty tries to answer emails once you get his book, so you might try that if you end up with questions.

If you like this sort of recreation, I think you're gonna love Windward Oahu. Kailua Bay and Kaneohe Bay could keep you busy for a week if you're really into it. I'm more into looking from the shore, but do like to get out in a decent sized boat once in a while. :blush:

While in Kailua, do you guys think it's worthwhile to go to the sandbar(or the sunken island as some call it.) It looks really beautiful and sounds like it is quite popular with the locals. Are the weekdays as bad as the weekends as far as the crowds go? If I were by myself, I wouldn't think twice kayaking from Heeia Park (it's only 2 miles) but with wife and 2 kids, looks like I should opt for option #2, which is renting a Boston Whaler from Base Marina in kaneohe Bay. But I'd have to take a 2-hr boating class with them first, which is ok, except it's only offered on Tue/Thur at 3:30 PM, sort of making me work around their schedule.
I've never been out there, but it might be a much more family-friendly place during the week. During the weekend it appears to attract a young-adult crowd that may be more oriented on entertaining other young adults (or at least those appearing to be over 21).

You'll enjoy the HawaiiThreads.com posts about the good ship "Aquadelica": Bad day on the sandbar - HawaiiThreads.com
And poster LikaNui can probably give you the full scoop on the sandbar. It might be much tamer these days.

And while in kaneohe Bay, I'm thinking maybe spend a night at a cabanas (Welcome to MCCS Hawaii) and head out to the sandbar the next morning. what do you guys think of that?
We've driven around some of their other cabins and this looks like a great deal. Certainly the best price you'll find anywhere near there.

The only glitch to watch out for would be any big influx of military or their families from off-island-- major exercises like RIMPAC 2010 (23 Jun- 2 Aug), Marines returning from deployment, or a carrier battle group pulling in for a TIGER cruise. I don't have access to operational dates anymore and I don't think they know much in advance either, so it's better to have a reservation.

IIRC Dreamer has stayed at Kaneohe, but I don't know which cabins. Dreamer, am I remembering that right?

Did you register as ER_Hopeful or another name? Tell me what name to ask them about; I'm not a moderator on that board but I'm acquainted with the owner and he can expedite.

Did you register as ER_Hopeful or another name? Tell me what name to ask them about; I'm not a moderator on that board but I'm acquainted with the owner and he can expedite.

Ah, should have checked back here sooner...

Also, if I have a DoD Contractor's ID(an Army CAC card ), will that be good enough as a military ID to get me into the Base for camping? I doubt it but want to confirm with you anyway.

My sister is in the Army Reserve and is on active duty currently, not sure if this helps ...

Last edited:
Ah, should have checked back here sooner...
Also, if I have a DoD Contractor's ID(an Army CAC card ), will that be good enough as a military ID to get me into the Base for camping? I doubt it but want to confirm with you anyway.
My sister is in the Army Reserve and is on active duty currently, not sure if this helps ...
It might be-- they keep changing the access rules.

Your sister can "sponsor" you if your own ID card isn't good enough for them. Typically that requires the sponsor to show up at check-in and do some paperwork, but they might be willing to work with a fax or an e-mail attachment. Lots of people trying to arrange short-notice reunions in places like this when they're on their desert break, and none of the bases or their staffs want to look like bad guys.

Best bet is to phone before you come to check their rules, and maybe to re-verify a day or two before.

IIRC Dreamer has stayed at Kaneohe, but I don't know which cabins. Dreamer, am I remembering that right?

QUOTE]
Yes, you are remembering it right. I don't remember which cabin either. It was right by the water and we had a great time. The first morning we literally jumped right out of bed, when a huge plane went right over our cabin! The noise was so loud and we were not expecting it. I don't know why we were not expecting it, because in order to get to our cabin we had to drive over the landing strip or whatever it is called. We loved our time there. The cabins were not luxurious, but they suited our purpose. My friend's nephew was a Marine stationed there and he did have to be there when we arrived so that he could sponsor us.

Last edited:
Was it right by the Marine base? If so, maybe it was the Pali Palms on the corner of Mokapu and N. Kalaheo. That used to be a modest little country motel half a century ago, but I just looked on Google street view and it has been expanded and rebuilt.

Was it right by the Marine base? If so, maybe it was the Pali Palms on the corner of Mokapu and N. Kalaheo. That used to be a modest little country motel half a century ago, but I just looked on Google street view and it has been expanded and rebuilt.
From her description of crossing the runway I'd say it was right ON the Marine base. Sounds like Pyramid Rock Beach.

I'm sure there's a punch line in a Marine Corps aviation runway design that has a vehicle intersection built into it. But when you get up to that end of the base you literally have to drive across the runway to get to the other cabins. IIRC the intersection has flashing lights or something to warn the drivers (and maybe even the pilots). Look left, look right, and look up. I guess they built the runway years ago and this was the only way to lengthen it.

Pyramid Rock is supposed to be an excellent surf spot but I've never made the time to do it. So many other places that are closer or easier... so little time...

From her description of crossing the runway I'd say it was right ON the Marine base. Sounds like Pyramid Rock Beach.

I'm sure there's a punch line in a Marine Corps aviation runway design that has a vehicle intersection built into it. But when you get up to that end of the base you literally have to drive across the runway to get to the other cabins. IIRC the intersection has flashing lights or something to warn the drivers (and maybe even the pilots). Look left, look right, and look up. I guess they built the runway years ago and this was the only way to lengthen it.

Pyramid Rock is supposed to be an excellent surf spot but I've never made the time to do it. So many other places that are closer or easier... so little time...

Can't confirm the name of the beach but got a chance to visit once. A good friend who is a retired Army Lt. Col. took DW and I to a restaurant on base. Afterwards, we crossed the runway and went back to the beach. Truly a beautiful (nearly deserted) place. Crystal clear blue water, beautiful surf rolling in - I'm glad our military folks have such a nice place to go. They deserve it.

Crossing the runway was just a little disconcerting. I assumed there would at least be a gate like you would encounter at a railroad crossing. Nope, as I recall, there was just a stop sign or similar and maybe there was a light system to warn of approaching aircraft, but I don't remember it. In any case, I've seen so many P-3 Orions and C-17s and the occasional squadron of (probably) F-18s going in and out of there that I was sure looking down that runway, even though my host seemed to pretty much take it in stride. Always wanted a tour of the base and I was proud to have finally gotten it. If anyone gets a chance, by all means do the MCBH. You have views you can't get from other parts of the island. Very beautiful - very impressive.

i've had pretty good luck with priceline (believe or not) for vacation lodging.
just use a site like biddingfortravel.com so u know what to bid...

Back
Top Bottom