Heads up: EFTPS now requires new login

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well that's a surprise. Thanks for the heads up, government. /sarc

Went to log onto EFTPS and it wants me to use ID.me, or login.gov or PIV/CAC.

I've been delaying this task. I guess I should go with ID.me since that also works on the irs site?

Anyway, if you use EFTPS, don't wait until 01/15/24 11:50pm to pay your estimated tax unless you have ID.me. Get the job done now.

OK. I think I’ve already used login.gov for Global Entry.

Yep, it directed me to login.gov and I used the credentials from Global Entry. Then it took me to the EFTPS login page.

I think it does this initially when it detects a new device or browser, and won’t do this again, at least for a while because maybe there is a time experiation. It’s using login.gov to send you a verification code before passing you to EFTPS.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up. For 2023 I used EFTPS to schedule federal estimated tax payments for my elderly mother. Looks like that won't be an option for 2024. There is no way she can get an ID.me account on her own - her computer technical skills are practically nil. :(

I used ID.me today to obtain a state vaccination card, and it says the biometric ID works with IRS, SS, and EFTPS. It's a little scary uploading your driver's license and/or passport, followed by a video of your face. They have to match. As long as ID.me databases don't get hacked, everything will be fine. I hope.

Since I already had an ID.me account for the IRS, I used the existing account to login to EFTPS. Then ID.me, rather than log me in directly, steered me to the old login page for EFTPS where I had to login again the old way. I finally was in but did not expect the second login.

Since I already had an ID.me account for the IRS, I used the existing account to login to EFTPS. Then ID.me, rather than log me in directly, steered me to the old login page for EFTPS where I had to login again the old way. I finally was in but did not expect the second login.

I think the login.gov or ID.me is just for 2factor authentication before sending you to EFTPS.

The way EFTPS works, which is a bit odd but works, is that EFTPS has different login credentials for every bank account you have set with EFTPS. So which login credentials you use determines which account will be drawn from for a scheduled payment.

Thanks for the Alert.

Fortunately I scheduled all of our payments for the tax year, so nothing to do right now.

Ditto. I have no worries about my Q4 payment. For some reason I was just curious.

The last time I signed in was early September and they didn't have this in place. Did a bit of searching and learned this was added on Oct 19 this year.

A word of caution, I used ID.me to create my IRS account. After I created the irs account, I went back to ID.me and deleted my account on ID.me since I didn’t want a commercial entity having my facial image. This also deleted my IRS account. Don’t know why this is the case.

Thanks for the warning. I guess this means other .gov accounts are probably heading this way? (like ssa.gov?)

Currently ID.me and login.gov are options, but if you have a legacy account you can still login using text notification for the 2FA.

Any thoughts as to which is better? ID.me vs Login.gov

I have used ID.me since 2021 and login.gov since 2018.

I also use two other very similar ones for DOD site logins. Never had a problem with any of them.

I logged into Treasury Direct a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t require any of those logins, but they have their own 2FA they require whenever I log in.

Interesting info on the EFTPS website:
https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/direct/FAQGeneral.page#thirdParty
"How can I authenticate with ID.me or Login.gov without a cell phone?
You can update your authentication method to receive your one-time codes by phone call instead of text message or authenticator app.

You can also update your authentication method to receive a list of backup one-time codes to download or print. You will need to request a new list once each code has been used."

The whole thing is annoying. The common methods: authenticator app on browser, cell phone, land line. In these three cases if you lose a cell phone, change a phone number, or remove the browser you have to re-authenticate. That requires deleting the original account and re-authenticating. The safest method still seems to access the third party site from a computer rather any other device, so software can be stored and connection to the cloud can be established. Or,

you can ask for a list of one time codes - so no call back.

Or,
Call EFTPS and provide payment info over the phone.

Thanks for the warning. I guess this means other .gov accounts are probably heading this way? (like ssa.gov?)

Currently ID.me and login.gov are options, but if you have a legacy account you can still login using text notification for the 2FA.

SSA was the first to use ID.me and login.gov and got a lot of push back from beneficiaries. So that is why if you created an account before 2021 you can login using the legacy system.

Either of the third party sites should work, both have been heavily used with other government departments.

Thanks; mine are all scheduled in. But I should go in and make sure I can get in by April.

Thank you for posting this. I set up my id.me this morning and thank you for reducing my stress later next year.

with all those hoops to jump through, it seems easier to mail a check

Yes, that EFTPS implementation of using Login.gov is a bit odd. Other government sites replace their original login process with login.gov, not add it as a layer on top of the original login process.

Anyway... I successfully pass the Login.gov portion of the process and it passes me back to the regular EFTPS login page. But my EFTPS credentials that I've used in the past (my SS#, my PIN, and my EFTPS password) no longer work. I actually haven't used EFTPS in about 2 years since I have not owed enough in taxes for me to make estimated payments.

Does anyone know if the EFTPS account goes inactive after a period of time? I tried to reset my password, but it says I don't have an active account to do that. I did a Quick Look at the FAQs, but didn't see one about inactivity.

Yes, that EFTPS implementation of using Login.gov is a bit odd. Other government sites replace their original login process with login.gov, not add it as a layer on top of the original login process.

Anyway... I successfully pass the Login.gov portion of the process and it passes me back to the regular EFTPS login page. But my EFTPS credentials that I've used in the past (my SS#, my PIN, and my EFTPS password) no longer work. I actually haven't used EFTPS in about 2 years since I have not owed enough in taxes for me to make estimated payments.

Does anyone know if the EFTPS account goes inactive after a period of time? I tried to reset my password, but it says I don't have an active account to do that. I did a Quick Look at the FAQs, but didn't see one about inactivity.
I just created a Login.gov and it pushed me back to EFTPS and it worked with the EFTPS login.

Agree that it seems odd to have to use both login.gov AND eftps logins.

But anyway, I just tried and it let me in with my eftps credentials, and I also hadn't logged in in about 2 years.

As I explained above, EFTPS has multiple login credentials and each set determines which bank account will be drawn from. I have two different banks enrolled, so I have two different sets of login credentials.

It’s a bit odd, but that’s how they implemented it.

I’m sure most folks just have one bank account enrolled so this wouldn’t normally seem to apply except that it does. You just didn’t know it.

Last edited:

Well, login.gov is not yet an option for logging into IRS website. My previous IRS login won't work. So, it looks like ID.me for me.

Well, login.gov is not yet an option for logging into IRS website. My previous IRS login won't work. So, it looks like ID.me for me.

Well, that's interesting. I have never used the IRS site, but in case I ever want to, then it sounds like ID.me might be the best option.

Back
Top Bottom